Default Golden Age Per Degaton (JSA and All-Star Squadron villain) Appreciation 2021

First appearance = All Star Comics #35 (June-July 1947)

Two issues later, Per Degaton would return as one of the original members of The Injustice Society of the World.

From All-Star Squadron #2 (October 1981):

Boisterously Confused

Degaton always seemed to me to be a guy trying to punch way above his weight class. He was clever, but nowhere near the genius he fancied himself, weaponizing others innovations to enable his schemes. If he had an outstanding trait, it was sheer, boundless arrogance, but it was enough to make a real threat of himself.

From All-Star Comics #37 (October-November 1947),

and from the version of the story reprinted in 100-Page Super Spectacular #DC-17 (June 1973):

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XVII (July 1986):

His updated entry from Who's Who Update '88 Vol. 3 (October 1988):

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XVII (July 1986):
    I always thought Per Degaton was a Nazi, but his first appearance and bios don’t indicate that. Though this image does imply he is indeed a Nazi. Can anyone clarify?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I always thought Per Degaton was a Nazi, but his first appearance and bios don’t indicate that. Though this image does imply he is indeed a Nazi. Can anyone clarify?
    While I'm not sure of his origin, he's more or less considered/treated as one. Hell, visually it's impossible to not think of them when you look at Degaton.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Interesting to see in this image from 1986 that 2017 was used to represent the future. And now it’s in our past.

Also noteworthy is that Degaton is said to be only 5’4” but was never really drawn that way.

I'm assuming I don't have to really bother with

"SPOILER!!!"

warnings at this point?

Guess who showed up a couple of moths ago in the Stargirl Spring Break Special?

Ultimate Member

My favorite Degaton is where he just shows up and trolls the JSA about their future. Very menacing

Ah, Degaton, the time-traveling fascist. Forever doomed to forget about the umpteen times he nearly conquered the Earth, and wind up cleaning test tubes for Doctor Zee.

He's great, and I'm happy to see him being used again. In my headcanon, Degaton is the actual true, original identity of Monarch.