Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The usage of Inhumans in other media where mutants couldn't be used (such as in Agents of SHIELD), coupled with the embargo against X-Men appearing in things began to give off the perception that Marvel wanted to replace the mutants with Inhumans, even though that was likely not the case (at least not in comics). They leaned into the controversy and tried to pump it for sales, thinking it'd draw more interest to the Inhumans books, but it just didn't work because very few people sided with the Inhumans given the way the conflict was presented.
    Them even attempting that backfired spectacularly which in turn basically led to a decline in the Inhuman’s prominence. Just a few years ago, they were everywhere, even getting put into teams like the Avengers and New Warriors. Now they’re basically in limbo after Death of Inhumans.

Yeah, the only real successes from that era are Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, and Inferno - Kamala more so than the other two.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the only real successes from that era are Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, and Inferno - Kamala more so than the other two.
    Too bad Moon Girl got cancelled recently, but having 50 issues under her belt before going out is impressive. That and she still has a cartoon coming out apparently.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Yea it seems that the further from the Inhuman society the character was, the more successful they proved to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Too bad Moon Girl got cancelled recently, but having 50 issues under her belt before going out is impressive. That and she still has a cartoon coming out apparently.
    For a brand new character who has no real strong ties to any firmly established franchise, that's is damn impressive. If all marvel got out of the Inhuman push was Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl, I'd still argue that's that's pretty good. It can take marvel decades to catch lightning in a bottle with characters, but they arguably hit it twice.

Extraordinary Member

Because they were trying to push the Inhumans for the MCU because they could not use the X-Men.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    There was never any intention of actually getting rid of the X-Men; that would have been financial suicide for the comics side of things. But further reducing their prominence and letting a lesser-known property ride off their relative popularity and take over their niche in the comics landscape would have been just fine. But some genius didn't get that when you put a fledgling concept up against a more popular one with an entrenched fanbase, things aren't likely to go well.
    Well the thing is no one came out and just admitted to it.

If you wanted to focus funds on who you own outright just say it. Even if LOGIC says you are still making some money off of them no matter what.

Your better option would have been having them work together against a common villain.

When or where was that confirmed?

For a brand new character who has no real strong ties to any firmly established franchise, that's is damn impressive. If all marvel got out of the Inhuman push was Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl, I'd still argue that's that's pretty good. It can take marvel decades to catch lightning in a bottle with characters, but they arguably hit it twice.
    The endgame (despite HOW it was done)

Moon Girl proved a book that sell well as trades can last for awhile in comics. Right now she is your longest running black female lead book at BOTH companies. Let that sink in.
    Don't let her get a movie. Disney will need Scrooge McDuck money vault.
    Ms Marvel-what is left to be said? She was suppose to fail at issue #7. She's two years away from surpassing Cassandra Cain in solo issues. Let THAT sink in. And she had a MOVEMENT go after her.
    Both are decent to top sellers on Amazon.
    Both of them VINDICATED Marvel in giving folks shots. If Black Panther, Carol Danvers, Blade, Antman, GOTG, Venom, Gwen & Miles Morales didn't prove that already.
    Quake-Agents of Shield & Marvel Rising & merchandise.
    Inferno-Marvel Rising and merch
    Flint Agents of Shield
    Mosaic 2 trades and he might have more fans than people think.
    Despite what anyone thinks that SHOW....

The line starts to the RIGHT of folks who would take that. If that was Milestone-folks would be going nuts in praise.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well the thing is no one came out and just admitted to it.

If you wanted to focus funds on who you own outright just say it. Even if LOGIC says you are still making some money off of them no matter what.

Your better option would have been having them work together against a common villain.

The endgame (despite HOW it was done)

Moon Girl proved a book that sell well as trades can last for awhile in comics. Right now she is your longest running black female lead book at BOTH companies. Let that sink in.
    Don't let her get a movie. Disney will need Scrooge McDuck money vault.
    Ms Marvel-what is left to be said? She was suppose to fail at issue #7. She's two years away from surpassing Cassandra Cain in solo issues. Let THAT sink in. And she had a MOVEMENT go after her.
    Both are decent to top sellers on Amazon.
    Both of them VINDICATED Marvel in giving folks shots. If Black Panther, Carol Danvers, Blade, Antman, GOTG, Venom, Gwen & Miles Morales didn't prove that already.
    Quake-Agents of Shield & Marvel Rising & merchandise.
    Inferno-Marvel Rising and merch
    Flint Agents of Shield
    Mosaic 2 trades and he might have more fans than people think.
    Despite what anyone thinks that SHOW....

The line starts to the RIGHT of folks who would take that. If that was Milestone-folks would be going nuts in praise.
    I don't think they ever outright admitted that they weren't going to get rid of the X-men, because I don't think in all honestly they believed people would actually believe they were doing that. They were still publishing a half dozen X-Men related books at the time ... that should tell you all you need to know as far as whether or not marvel was getting rid of the X-Men.

And logic and common sense aside, obviously if they actually wanted to get rid of the X-Men they would simply be gone. No one is sticking a gun to marvels head and forcing them to publish X-Men books against their will.

BANNED

Well..at least let Kamala and Magik team up without tension.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Not solicited for October.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah. Inferno did make it to Marvel Rising though, so he's definitely the next most successful. The rest are going to fade away.

I'd actually say Kamala and Lunella made it despite being Inhumans and not because of it. Had they been created a couple of years earlier (2012 instead of 2014-5) or now, they would probably have been mutants. Carol Danvers at the time had more links to the X-Men than the Inhumans, after all (until her recent half-Kree retcon, which gives her a connection to the Inhumans who were a Kree experiment), and Moon Boy was a mutant.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-01-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Hmmm. I don’t think I agree.

You’ll be hard pressed to find too many bigger fans of the inhumans than me so I’m not simply writing off these characters. But I suspect that both books would have come out and the lightning would have been bottle-caught whether there was an inhuman push or not. I think that given the push, it made sense to make them be nuhumans when they were created. But had there been no push, both books would have come out and the characters would have been just as successful without them being inhuman related. Just my 2 cents.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

[...] Had they been created a couple of years earlier (2012 instead of 2014-5) or now, they would probably have been mutants. Carol Danvers at the time had more links to the X-Men than the Inhumans, after all (until her recent half-Kree retcon, which gives her a connection to the Inhumans who were a Kree experiment), and Moon Boy was a mutant.
    If they had been mutants, I don't think they wouldn't have gotten any spotlight because they focus more on legacy characters like Wolverine, Cyclops, etc. with some new ones sprinkled in because mutants usually appear in X-Men team books and are outshone by the big guns. They would have an Iceman or Storm book before they would have a new random mutant because they know people know them and have a huge fanbase. The inhumans were an experiment that worked with the new inhumans. The X-Men usually bring in new mutants, whereas the inhumans just had chaos and offered refuge, but a lot didn't take it and did their own thing like Ms Marvel.

People ask why Spider-Man and Thor don't get treated bad for being superhuman like mutants, but later were baffled and complained when the inhumans were which follows a similar "mutant" premise. Hence the thread title. I still don't see Carol that linked to inhumans despite her being half-Kree.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    If they had been mutants, I don't think they wouldn't have gotten any spotlight because they focus more on legacy characters like Wolverine, Cyclops, etc. with some new ones sprinkled in because mutants usually appear in X-Men team books and are outshone by the big guns. They would have an Iceman or Storm book before they would have a new random mutant because they know people know them and have a huge fanbase. The inhumans were an experiment that worked with the new inhumans. The X-Men usually bring in new mutants, whereas the inhumans just had chaos and offered refuge, but a lot didn't take it and did their own thing like Ms Marvel.

People ask why Spider-Man and Thor don't get treated bad for being superhuman like mutants, but later were baffled and complained when the inhumans were which follows a similar "mutant" premise. Hence the thread title. I still don't see Carol that linked to inhumans despite her being half-Kree.
    The funny thing is that Thor, at least in a country that considers itself predominantly Christian, should be hated and derided by lots of people in-universe as "a false god luring the faithful away from the one true God." Spider-Man gets plenty of hate already, at least in the older comics, for the creepiness inherent in his spiderlike abilities and fully concealing costume, along with being demonized as an utter menace for years by J. Jonah Jameson of The Daily Bugle, to the point that he was occasionally speculated to be a mutant in-universe. Of course, that's largely in the context of mutants being seen uniformly by the public as freaks and monsters dangerous and threatening to normal humans, so with Jameson's rhetoric against him, it's relatively easy for them to lump in Spider-Man with mutants.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The funny thing is that Thor, at least in a country that considers itself predominantly Christian, should be hated and derided by lots of people in-universe as "a false god luring the faithful away from the one true God." Spider-Man gets plenty of hate already, at least in the older comics, for the creepiness inherent in his spiderlike abilities and fully concealing costume, along with being demonized as an utter menace for years by J. Jonah Jameson of The Daily Bugle, to the point that he was occasionally speculated to be a mutant in-universe. Of course, that's largely in the context of mutants being seen uniformly by the public as freaks and monsters dangerous and threatening to normal humans, so with Jameson's rhetoric against him, it's relatively easy for them to lump in Spider-Man with mutants.
    You know, that makes me wonder, why has Thor never had to deal with The Purifiers? They view mutants as devils and the embodiment of sin yet are perfectly fine with beings who call themselves gods running around. You’d think that would be the ultimate blasphemy to them.