Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, that makes me wonder, why has Thor never had to deal with The Purifiers? They view mutants as devils and the embodiment of sin yet are perfectly fine with beings who call themselves gods running around. You’d think that would be the ultimate blasphemy to them.
    I think he was attacked by a guy calling himself the Crusader.

You know, that makes me wonder, why has Thor never had to deal with The Purifiers? They view mutants as devils and the embodiment of sin yet are perfectly fine with beings who call themselves gods running around. You’d think that would be the ultimate blasphemy to them.
    The Avengers are a much harder target than the X-Men in a lot of ways. They're more high profile and have a lot more support from the public and government. X-Men are a much easier target, because up to a point they can have a much easier time getting away with attacking them.

But more to the point, I think it's a case of tunnel vision. Similar to how sometimes certain groups target specific other groups in real life, the purifiers seem to have their focus on mutants specifically.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The two species have always been written as having a lot in common over the decades, why did Marvel decide to do an event for them to compete as opposed to writing them as allies who could learn from one another, work together and help each other out?
    At the time Marvel did not have the X-men film rights back nor the people in-charge been happy about it. The Inhumans had been on a corporate level meant to replace the X-men but it simply was never going to fly in the mass market due to needing to hold on to copyright. Marvel was always going to put out X-men content. However because they lacked the films and the means to capitalize on them in a way they could with the characters available to them through the MCU there was a corporate push for the Inhumans. There was even for a time a certain person in-charge who made a push so hard that it got him ousted.

This didn't get helped when the X-men fanbase got worried they might be replaced in the eyes of Marvel with the Inhumans. While it was never going to happen, Marvel saw a marketing opportunity and if you'd been familiar with how Marvel and the spider-office marketed Superior Spider-man you saw right through this. Inhumans versus X-men is a marketing gimmick meant to rattle the fanbases into buying the book to support their favorite teams.

So virtually everything around this is built on the corporate need to fill a void, Marvel publishing stoking the fire, a certain person leading the charge and shitting the bed on a franchise, and fanbases getting all freaked out over nothing. It was a disaster everybody thought someone could make money off of.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The Avengers are a much harder target than the X-Men in a lot of ways. They're more high profile and have a lot more support from the public and government. X-Men are a much easier target, because up to a point they can have a much easier time getting away with attacking them.

But more to the point, I think it's a case of tunnel vision. Similar to how sometimes certain groups target specific other groups in real life, the purifiers seem to have their focus on mutants specifically.
    The Avengers did have the Superhuman Registration Act. They are select group of people and aren't as powerful or random as inhumans or mutants. The Sentry, Captain Marvel, and a few other can rival the others' power, and even then, they sell them as more controlled. The inhumans and mutants appear out of nowhere and usually don't have immediate assistance to know what's going on.

No one expects moral consistency from religious zealots, tho. I don’t mind that the Purifiers are portrayed as cowardly hypocrites. I DO mind that they seem to get off Scott free with murdering bus loads of children and no one but the X-Men seem to care, though...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Too bad Moon Girl got cancelled recently, but having 50 issues under her belt before going out is impressive. That and she still has a cartoon coming out apparently.
    "Apparently" is right. Feels like it's been years since we've heard anything about that show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. Inferno did make it to Marvel Rising though, so he's definitely the next most successful. The rest are going to fade away.

I'd actually say Kamala and Lunella made it despite being Inhumans and not because of it. Had they been created a couple of years earlier (2012 instead of 2014-5) or now, they would probably have been mutants. Carol Danvers at the time had more links to the X-Men than the Inhumans, after all (until her recent half-Kree retcon, which gives her a connection to the Inhumans who were a Kree experiment), and Moon Boy was a mutant.
    All things considered, given the MCU is likely to not introduce Kamala as an Inhuman, it makes you wonder how they'll handle it in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    All things considered, given the MCU is likely to not introduce Kamala as an Inhuman, it makes you wonder how they'll handle it in the comics.
    If they change her origin, it would be as petty as what happened to the Maximoff twins. And if people aren't up in arms, it'll show the double standard caused by the pettiness of the comicbook community.

Terrigenisis is Kamala's spider bite and gamma explosion.

I think there are lot of different things that ended up giving inhuman vs. X-men (which I haven't nor will read).

Marvel's mandate :
    They wanted to push the inhumans. We don't have the official reasons but remember Marvel's CEO veto'd Black Panther and Captain Marvel's movies for years because he didn't believe in Black and female lead. But also remember that many properties have been pushed at one point sidelining other properties. 2099, MC², X-Force, X-Statix, Eternals, Avengers... and so on. It's the way marvel works. They'll try and push brand and see if it works.

Vs. are usual :
    We've got FF4 vs X-men, Civil War, Avengers vs X-men... Twice, Shi'ar/Kree, Skrull/Shi'ar, West Coast Avengers vs. East Coast Avengers, Secret Wars...
    Marvel's DNA is super heroes clashing with each others, all the way back to Thing and Human Torch. It's Overdone rarely brings anything and should be more mini-series than complete arcs.

Getting noticed :

When you want obscure characters to be relevant, you put them with popular characters.

Clueless :

It's been a while Publishers have no clues how the business works anymore and wander aimlessly trying to fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    I think there are lot of different things that ended up giving inhuman vs. X-men (which I haven't nor will read).

Marvel's mandate :
    They wanted to push the inhumans. We don't have the official reasons but remember Marvel's CEO veto'd Black Panther and Captain Marvel's movies for years because he didn't believe in Black and female lead. But also remember that many properties have been pushed at one point sidelining other properties. 2099, MC², X-Force, X-Statix, Eternals, Avengers... and so on. It's the way marvel works. They'll try and push brand and see if it works.

Vs. are usual :
    We've got FF4 vs X-men, Civil War, Avengers vs X-men... Twice, Shi'ar/Kree, Skrull/Shi'ar, West Coast Avengers vs. East Coast Avengers, Secret Wars...
    Marvel's DNA is super heroes clashing with each others, all the way back to Thing and Human Torch. It's Overdone rarely brings anything and should be more mini-series than complete arcs.

Getting noticed :

When you want obscure characters to be relevant, you put them with popular characters.

Clueless :

It's been a while Publishers have no clues how the business works anymore and wander aimlessly trying to fix things.
    If your rumor is true, he did push a muslim inhuman girl and an African American inhuman girl as the smartest person in the Marvel universe. I don't know if people realize it, but all of the new inhumans introduced were ethnically diverse or were gay. It might be true on the movie side, and contradictory on the comic side at the same time.

They had two X-Men events (Death of X and IVX) and a company wide X-Men relaunch event (RessureXion). Weren't these events pushing the X-Men at the same time so they could cash in during RessureXion?

The funny thing is that Secret War and Infinity were probably some of their best events recently, and they were hero vs. villain stories.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Short-sightedness, lack of imagination, and spite, and all of it originating from outside the folks actually doing comics, from what the rumor mill was pushing.
    That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Because Marvel thinks controversy always generates sales.
    And also this. They should have learned their lesson from this, but I doubt it.

This is what should have happened. Had Marvel let those two teams work together as opposed to face-off against one another, I truly believe both franchises would have been better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post

This is what should have happened. Had Marvel let those two teams work together as opposed to face-off against one another, I truly believe both franchises would have been better off.
    Storywise thats probably what would have happened if not for Emma. In the end Medusa herself was willing to destroy the cloud to protect the mutants, so both sides weren't that far off.

Ultimate Member

It would have been interesting to see the Purifiers or Church of Humanity attempt some action against Asgard, back when it was hovering over Braxton, Oklahoma.

But the bigots have never been terribly consistent with their beliefs. Someone like the Hulk or Spider-Man or the Invisible Woman, not born a mutant, but artificially mutated as adults, should be exponentially more terrifying, since their conditions suggest that *it could happen to you, at any time!* (Unlike being born a mutant, which, you either are or are not, and being a born mutant, in a sense, is more 'natural' than being a Power Brokered super-juice-junky.)

People like Thor, claiming the status of godhood, or using the mystic arts, like Dr. Strange or the Scarlet Witch, or, even worse, suggesting some sort of infernal ties, like Hellstrom, should be vastly more 'hated and feared' than mutants. There are people out there who consider D&D and Harry Potter to be breeding grounds for Satanism. They'd go absolutely nuts over someone like the Scarlet Witch, even if her powers were 100% not magical, and even more nuts over someone like Dr. Voodoo (He's black! He's a pagan! His heathenry not only *works,* but gives him super-powers! Did I mention he's black?).

Meanwhile, despite all this 'hate and fear' nonsense, where the US is totally fine with giant purple robots stomping around suburbia hunting and killing US citizens who happen to be mutants, you can also apparently be a publically known mutant like Warren Worthington, and nobody gives a single **** that you are a billionaire CEO, or tries to get you ousted by the board for being a mutant (or, let's face it, the least-attentive CEO, ever...).

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    If your rumor is true, he did push a muslim inhuman girl and an African American inhuman girl as the smartest person in the Marvel universe. I don't know if people realize it, but all of the new inhumans introduced were ethnically diverse or were gay. It might be true on the movie side, and contradictory on the comic side at the same time.

They had two X-Men events (Death of X and IVX) and a company wide X-Men relaunch event (RessureXion). Weren't these events pushing the X-Men at the same time so they could cash in during RessureXion?

The funny thing is that Secret War and Infinity were probably some of their best events recently, and they were hero vs. villain stories.
    You take less risks publishing a comic book than making a movie and I'm not implying Ike Perlmutter has biases (those are other rumors). I was stressing that those decisions were about money.
    They had huge event but at the same time, Cyclops was a villain and has seen one of the most violent character assassination ever, Wolverine was dead and the crossovers were also Death of X (all is in the name ^^)...
    Secret Wars had a lot of Heroes vs. Heros and the crappy storyline with the collision of planets were Namor and Black Panther got at each other and so on..

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    They had huge event but at the same time, Cyclops was a villain and has seen one of the most violent character assassination ever, Wolverine was dead and the crossovers were also Death of X (all is in the name ^^)...
    Secret Wars had a lot of Heroes vs. Heros and the crappy storyline with the collision of planets were Namor and Black Panther got at each other and so on..
    Cyclops wasn't the villain in those events. He was the hero and they made him a martyr. I think they portrayed the inhumans as the villains. They had an event called Death of X, and blamed them. The inhumans were character assasinated. They're hated everywhere to this day because of Death of X and IVX. They made them out to be villains in those stories.