Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Inhumans needed a boost and legitimacy. Never worked though. People saw through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Cyclops wasn't the villain in those events. He was the hero and they made him a martyr. I think they portrayed the inhumans as the villains. They had an event called Death of X, and blamed them. The inhumans were character assasinated. They're hated everywhere to this day because of Death of X and IVX. They made them out to be villains in those stories.
    I honestly don't think the Inhumans were really the villains of the story. Heck, Medusa ended up destroying the cloud herself. And honestly I don't think the X-Men were villains as a whole either... they were just in a tough situation. The only real villain was Emma, who at the end there just went nuts even though the mutants got what they wanted in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think they ever outright admitted that they weren't going to get rid of the X-men, because I don't think in all honestly they believed people would actually believe they were doing that. They were still publishing a half dozen X-Men related books at the time ... that should tell you all you need to know as far as whether or not marvel was getting rid of the X-Men.

And logic and common sense aside, obviously if they actually wanted to get rid of the X-Men they would simply be gone. No one is sticking a gun to marvels head and forcing them to publish X-Men books against their will.
    Thank you they were never trying to get rid of the X-men, They were replacing mutant as the power source for superhumans and some people couldn't separate that from getting rid of the X-men. X-men is group 100 to 150 characters with about 50 them of super popular and they were never in danger. What was in danger was Goldballs, Triage, Shark Girl, Nature Girl, etc versus Grid, Iso, Naja, Synapse basically which power teens/young adults are we going to ignore for 20 to 30 years. Marvel didn't have the rights to X-men and mutants were the easy source for superhuman powers and superpowered villains need they need that in the MCU so they started to switch that to the Inhumans. The X-men the 50 or 60 popular characters were never going anywhere(50 or 60 not so popular ones as well too), Honestly, X-fans were mad at Marvel for the right to be mad at Marvel when they ignore new mutants added to franchise over and over.

As for topic why pit Inhumans against the X-men, because it should have been an interesting contrast, between two similar groups. Which is made interesting now because Hickman is straight up using a plotline that would feel right at home as Inhuman pitch.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, that makes me wonder, why has Thor never had to deal with The Purifiers? They view mutants as devils and the embodiment of sin yet are perfectly fine with beings who call themselves gods running around. You’d think that would be the ultimate blasphemy to them.
    Well, Thor is just one guy, so he has less chance of running into them. And people including Purifiers know how powerful Thor is.
    I don't think unorganized Purifiers will try to attack Thor without a plan, random and possibly weak mutants are far easier preys.

Ultimate Member

I honestly don't think the Inhumans were really the villains of the story. Heck, Medusa ended up destroying the cloud herself. And honestly I don't think the X-Men were villains as a whole either... they were just in a tough situation. The only real villain was Emma, who at the end there just went nuts even though the mutants got what they wanted in the end.
    No, the Inhumans were the villains because in protecting the cloud, they were at the very least enforcing a system of mass displacement for mutants, endangering them the world over for their (Inhumans) cultural/religious rites. Mass displacement is recognized by the United Nations as a means of genocide.

The only reason why this is even a subject of debate is because it only happened to 2-D, static characters with no tone of voice or inflection. Say aloud 'Forced mass displacement under threat of death', and you would see how messed it was, that the Inhumans were protecting the T-cloud.

And yes, I'm ignoring how the could sterilized mutants and eventually became fatal to all mutants. The mass displacement puts the Inhumans squarely in the wrong. Everything else is just icing on a dumb idea cake.

The X-Men weren't in a tough situation, they were fighting for their species. Emma went too far yes, but the others were justified in their actions. And Medusa destroying it only came after how many mutant deaths? It got to the point where she simply could no longer ignore the damage done.

The problem, IMO, is that Marvel simply escalated the conflict beyond what could be seen as reasonable. Instead of say, killing mutants, instead say that The Friends of Humanity were stealing parts of the cloud and turning it into a weapon against mutants. Then you could have a conflict that wouldn't be driven by PIS, and in which both sides might be able to make a reasonable case

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    No, the Inhumans were the villains because in protecting the cloud, they were at the very least enforcing a system of mass displacement for mutants, endangering them the world over for their (Inhumans) cultural/religious rites. Mass displacement is recognized by the United Nations as a means of genocide.

The only reason why this is even a subject of debate is because it only happened to 2-D, static characters with no tone of voice or inflection. Say aloud 'Forced mass displacement under threat of death', and you would see how messed it was, that the Inhumans were protecting the T-cloud.

And yes, I'm ignoring how the could sterilized mutants and eventually became fatal to all mutants. The mass displacement puts the Inhumans squarely in the wrong. Everything else is just icing on a dumb idea cake.

The X-Men weren't in a tough situation, they were fighting for their species. Emma went too far yes, but the others were justified in their actions. And Medusa destroying it only came after how many mutant deaths? It got to the point where she simply could no longer ignore the damage done.

The problem, IMO, is that Marvel simply escalated the conflict beyond what could be seen as reasonable. Instead of say, killing mutants, instead say that The Friends of Humanity were stealing parts of the cloud and turning it into a weapon against mutants. Then you could have a conflict that wouldn't be driven by PIS, and in which both sides might be able to make a reasonable case
    Again, there were no villains. Both sides were working to try and come up with a sollution which worked for everyone. That was something mutually decided on. The agreement was only broken when the mutants understandably felt they ran out of time. Something the Inhumans obviously understood since they themselves destroyed the cloud once they realized the situation. Again, the only one who went completely off the rails was Emma in the end.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, that makes me wonder, why has Thor never had to deal with The Purifiers? They view mutants as devils and the embodiment of sin yet are perfectly fine with beings who call themselves gods running around. You’d think that would be the ultimate blasphemy to them.
    It is not like Thor is out trying to convert people to worship him though. If there were major Churches of Thor popping up out there all over and he was acting like a religious figure then I could see some groups like the Purifiers coming after him, but in the MCU at least Thor doesn't seem to have any interest in being worshiped.

Ultimate Member

Again, there were no villains. Both sides were working to try and come up with a sollution which worked for everyone. That was something mutually decided on. The agreement was only broken when the mutants understandably felt they ran out of time. Something the Inhumans obviously understood since they themselves destroyed the cloud once they realized the situation. Again, the only one who went completely off the rails was Emma in the end.
    "I'm not pro mutant death, I'm just protecting something that kills all mutants."

Again, in the privacy of your own home, say 'Forced, mass deportation under threat of death' aloud. I dare you.

The T-Cloud forced mutants from their homes, and endangered those it did not kill by exposing them as mutants to a hostile world. The Inhumans made their stance clear when they (thought that they had) killed Cyclops. An implicit threat is no less a threat

That Medusa finally reversed course when the threat was made impossible to avoid does not make her, or those who condoned her actions, any less wrong.

Inhumans placed their right to choose to get powers, over the lives of others.

In any other context, they would be the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Short-sightedness, lack of imagination, and spite, and all of it originating from outside the folks actually doing comics, from what the rumor mill was pushing.

not sure but I blame Scott Summers

"I'm not pro mutant death, I'm just protecting something that kills all mutants."

Again, in the privacy of your own home, say 'Forced, mass deportation under threat of death' aloud. I dare you.

The T-Cloud forced mutants from their homes, and endangered those it did not kill by exposing them as mutants to a hostile world. The Inhumans made their stance clear when they (thought that they had) killed Cyclops. An implicit threat is no less a threat

That Medusa finally reversed course when the threat was made impossible to avoid does not make her, or those who condoned her actions, any less wrong.

Inhumans placed their right to choose to get powers, over the lives of others.

In any other context, they would be the villains.
    They're not villains if they'r working with the other side to try and resolve the problem. Again, trying to find another sollution apart from destroying the cloud was something both sides agreed on until they ran out of time. Or if they are villains, then the X-Men were villains to because they didn't immediately try and destroy the cloud either.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    No one expects moral consistency from religious zealots, tho. I don’t mind that the Purifiers are portrayed as cowardly hypocrites. I DO mind that they seem to get off Scott free with murdering bus loads of children and no one but the X-Men seem to care, though...
    Of course, we know why. Resource-wise, the Purifiers aren't even close to being on the level of AIM, Hydra, etc. If the full weight & fury of the hero community came down on them, it'd have to be the last Purifier story for a very long time. It'd be almost the same as killing them outright. Plus, the current editorial regime seems to like stirring up the different sects of the fan community against one another. Showing non-mutant teams as indifferent to anti-mutant atrocities certainly does that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    Of course, we know why. Resource-wise, the Purifiers aren't even close to being on the level of AIM, Hydra, etc. If the full weight & fury of the hero community came down on them, it'd have to be the last Purifier story for a very long time. It'd be almost the same as killing them outright. Plus, the current editorial regime seems to like stirring up the different sects of the fan community against one another. Showing non-mutant teams as indifferent to anti-mutant atrocities certainly does that.
    Speaking of other heroes battling X-Men/Mutant enemies what, I find funny is how in every dystopian future of mutant extinction it's 9/10 at the hands of Sentinels and those same Sentinels in the end usually end up destroying every hero on the face of the Earth after logically deeming them no less dangerous than Mutants.

Is it some kinda hidden editorial in-story commentary? Lol

Ultimate Member

They're not villains if they'r working with the other side to try and resolve the problem. Again, trying to find another sollution apart from destroying the cloud was something both sides agreed on until they ran out of time. Or if they are villains, then the X-Men were villains to because they didn't immediately try and destroy the cloud either.
    You may recall that the Inhumans (seemingly) killed Cyclops to protect the first cloud. An implicit threat is still a threat.

And when push came to shove, no one, not Beast who'd been working with them non stop or Storm, or anyone else, believed that the Inhumans would be willing to destroy the cloud to save all mutants

You may recall that the Inhumans (seemingly) killed Cyclops to protect the first cloud. An implicit threat is still a threat.

And when push came to shove, no one, not Beast who'd been working with them non stop or Storm, or anyone else, believed that the Inhumans would be willing to destroy the cloud to save all mutants
    Black Bolt "killed" Cyclops- not the Inhumans. His race or Medusa's subjects didn't have anything to do with the conflict. In addition to Black Bolt's actions, according to Emma, Medusa thought that things would be easier if Scott was dead and gave the order. I have a hard time believing that Medusa would give a direct order to execute someone. She has been shown in the past to be rather rough around the edges and tough, but she is well-versed in diplomacy and has more sense than to just execute someone of Scott's status.

That being said, we have no other in canon indication that Medusa didn't give the order, so in the story I have to believe that she did. Also, there is some ambiguity to whether or not Scott was about to attack them first or not- the art suggests yes. Antagonizing or threatening the royals physically would fit in line with Emma's plan to wage a war with the Inhumans. There couldn't have been a better catalyst. But that is also something that is somewhat left to interpretation.

Also, Black Bolt and Medusa's actions were in direct response to being threatened and"Scott" and his group of X-Men having already destroyed the first cloud, not protect it.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 08-05-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Considering the mutants decided to attack the Inhumans rather than just explain the situation to Medusa, who was willing to destroy the cloud, it probably is fair to say most at least didn't think she would be willing to destroy the cloud. Problem being those people would wrong, as she clearly was. If she were the actual villain here, the outcome of that story would be very different.

Point being there weren't villains here (except maybe Emma at the end there), just people in a tough situation who arguably made some mistakes along the way they likely regretted. In hingsight they probably could have talked all this out and resolved the situation sooner and without conflict, but that would have made for a boring comic so instead we got what we got.