Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Considering the mutants decided to attack the Inhumans rather than just explain the situation to Medusa, who was willing to destroy the cloud, it probably is fair to say most at least didn't think she would be willing to destroy the cloud. Problem being those people would wrong, as she clearly was. If she were the actual villain here, the outcome of that story would be very different.

Point being there weren't villains here (except maybe Emma at the end there), just people in a tough situation who arguably made some mistakes along the way they likely regretted. In hingsight they probably could have talked all this out and resolved the situation sooner and without conflict, but that would have made for a boring comic so instead we got what we got.
    I am inclined to agree with you. Medusa and Storm, to my knowledge, had one conversation regarding the T-Mists being lethal to mutants. And at that time, Medusa wasn't presented with a solution- she was only presented with facts regarding the severity of a situation that she had nothing to do with. She didn't release the Terrigen into the atmosphere and she does not have the scientific prowess to solve this problem on her own. She was relying on others to find a solution, which in the story all happened to be mutants.

P.S. I still believe that if Forge and later with Moon Girl's help were able to create a device that could neutralize the cloud, they could have just as easily made a device that contained the remaining Terrigen instead of detsroying it.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I don't believe that Marvel wanted to end X-Men or Fantastic Four for that matter just because of the rights issues between them and Fox regarding the movie licensing.

Having said that, Marvel all but admitted that they were definitely pushing the properties they did have full licenses to, at the expense of the properties they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I don't believe that Marvel wanted to end X-Men or Fantastic Four for that matter just because of the rights issues between them and Fox regarding the movie licensing.

Having said that, Marvel all but admitted that they were definitely pushing the properties they did have full licenses to, at the expense of the properties they didn't.
    I think ANYONE would at least try and push properites they have full licenses for though. That's just common sense.

But it's not like the X-Men were completely left out in the cold. THere were still like half a dozen X-Men related books on the shelves at the time. I think there's a stronger arguement the FF were screwed though, as they were gone for a descent amount of time.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I think ANYONE would at least try and push properites they have full licenses for though. That's just common sense.

But it's not like the X-Men were completely left out in the cold. THere were still like half a dozen X-Men related books on the shelves at the time. I think there's a stronger arguement the FF were screwed though, as they were gone for a descent amount of time.
    Well, being more of a casual X-Men and Fantastic Four fan, I would agree that them taking a backburner to other properties that Marvel had full licenses to made perfect business sense.

Having said that, I can see why die-hard fans of those properties were irked by Marvel's indifference towards them for nearly a decade.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Black Bolt "killed" Cyclops- not the Inhumans. His race or Medusa's subjects didn't have anything to do with the conflict.
    Yeah, no.

When the LEADER of a people or nation do something? It reflects on their country, like it or not. Neither Medusa or BB were punished for Scott's death. And given that Black Bolt had traded punches with the Hulk, he didn't have tactical justification to kill him.

Considering the mutants decided to attack the Inhumans rather than just explain the situation to Medusa, who was willing to destroy the cloud, it probably is fair to say most at least didn't think she would be willing to destroy the cloud. Problem being those people would wrong, as she clearly was. If she were the actual villain here, the outcome of that story would be very different.

Point being there weren't villains here (except maybe Emma at the end there), just people in a tough situation who arguably made some mistakes along the way they likely regretted. In hingsight they probably could have talked all this out and resolved the situation sooner and without conflict, but that would have made for a boring comic so instead we got what we got.
    Forced mass deportation makes you a villain. Look at history.

Maybe the X-Men should have talked it out. But that would have just told the Inhumans that they only needed to hold out for two weeks before they 'won'. That the cloud was allowed to poison mutants as long as it did is still, utterly insane. It was a roving genocide cloud and a hell of a poorly thought out idea by Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, no.

When the LEADER of a people or nation do something? It reflects on their country, like it or not. Neither Medusa or BB were punished for Scott's death. And given that Black Bolt had traded punches with the Hulk, he didn't have tactical justification to kill him.l
    I don't think it's fair to judge a race or a nation based on the actions of their leaders. If you want to say that Black Bolt and Medusa are responsible for Cyclops' death and that it was intentional then I can understand it, even if I don't agree. It's a very slippery slope once blanket statements are used to discuss the actions of a few individuals. If we were to hold the masses accountable for the actions of their leaders then by that logic all Germans during World War 2 should be considered Nazis. Or if we want to talk comics, then humanity certainly has a right to hate and fear mutants, because the actions of Magneto and his Brotherhood should most certainly reflect on Xavier, the X-Men and all innocent mutants caught up in the struggle. Even though it is sometimes a subconscious reaction to lump everyone of a certain race or nationality or some other category together, it is unfair and dangerous and it's up to us as individuals and as a society to know better.

Also, you keep mentioning forced mass deportation. I really don't think that term applies in this case. The definition of deportation is "the removal from a country of an alien whose presence is unlawful or prejudicial". The Inhumans did not force the mutants to leave and they had a right to be on Earth. The mutants HAD to leave in order to survive if the clouds were not stopped. Deportation suggests intent that results in enforced removal of someone from a given location. Medusa had absolutely nothing to do with the release of the Terrigen and Black Bolt did not set off the T-bomb with the intent to eradicate mutants. Even though the Terrigen Bomb was intended to bolster the Inhumans' ranks, the whole thing started because Thanos showed up in Attilan and demanded a sacrifice of all the Inhuman children. Black Bolt as a monarch had a royal duty to protect his people, which he tried. His methods may have been extremely unorthodox and in the end quite harmful, but his intent, in my opinion, cannot be questioned.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 08-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The T-Cloud forced mutants from their homes, and endangered those it did not kill by exposing them as mutants to a hostile world. The Inhumans made their stance clear when they (thought that they had) killed Cyclops. An implicit threat is no less a threat
    No, the Inhumans were the villains because in protecting the cloud, they were at the very least enforcing a system of mass displacement for mutants, endangering them the world over for their (Inhumans) cultural/religious rites. Mass displacement is recognized by the United Nations as a means of genocide.
    I don't think readers remember when there was a system of mass displacement for inhumans, but they had to leave Earth. They didn't want to harm mutants because they went through the same thing. Yet, the writers either forgot about it or it was an hommage.

Yeah, no.

When the LEADER of a people or nation do something? It reflects on their country, like it or not. Neither Medusa or BB were punished for Scott's death. And given that Black Bolt had traded punches with the Hulk, he didn't have tactical justification to kill him.

Forced mass deportation makes you a villain. Look at history.

Maybe the X-Men should have talked it out. But that would have just told the Inhumans that they only needed to hold out for two weeks before they 'won'. That the cloud was allowed to poison mutants as long as it did is still, utterly insane. It was a roving genocide cloud and a hell of a poorly thought out idea by Marvel
    Considering that Medusa herself ended up blowing up the cloud, I don't think the Inhumans viewed all mutants dying from the cloud as wining. Which is sort of the point of talking things out in the first place. Had the Inhumans been actual villains, the outcome of this story potentially could have been very different.

I really can't believe that they would fall for the stupidest mistake that can be had in a franchise, force people to "choose sides" between the old thing they like and the new thing you want to promote.

And the more they insisted that Cyclops was Hitler, the more X-Men symbol they did him.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I really can't believe that they would fall for the stupidest mistake that can be had in a franchise, force people to "choose sides" between the old thing they like and the new thing you want to promote.

And the more they insisted that Cyclops was Hitler, the more X-Men symbol they did him.
    That in a lot of ways was the beauty of what the X writers did with Scott. By villianizing him in their books (and it's was more the X books doing than the Inhuman books honestly), it got him more over with a good chunk of the Xmen fanbase. It got him arguably more talked about that Wolverine. Being villainized was probably the best thing to happen to the character.

Same thing happened with Iron Man in Civil War. People said at the time it was ruining his character, but he frankly became the most important character in the marvel universe storywise for years afterwards.

Which is even more baffling since what he was ultimately revealed to have done wasn't anything that bad, and most readers sympathized with. I think that illustrates one of the key problems with the whole conflict: the mutants instantly came off as way more sympathetic and very few sided with the Inhumans, so to even the odds Marvel had to insist Cyclops had committed some sort of unforgivable atrocity against the Inhumans.

It almost seems like there was an original plan for Cyclops' actions that was changed before Death of X was actually written.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Which is even more baffling since what he was ultimately revealed to have done wasn't anything that bad, and most readers sympathized with. I think that illustrates one of the key problems with the whole conflict: the mutants instantly came off as way more sympathetic and very few sided with the Inhumans, so to even the odds Marvel had to insist Cyclops had committed some sort of unforgivable atrocity against the Inhumans.

It almost seems like there was an original plan for Cyclops' actions that was changed before Death of X was actually written.
    I definately think plans were either changed, or there was some sort of communication problem.

The X-Men were acting incredibly ticked off at Cyclops even after he died. That's pretty shocking considering a few short years ago he was their friend. It's almost uncharacteristic for them to be talking so badly of him in death even if he did do something terrible.

The Inhumans talking badly about him is one thing... but the X-Men doing it was pretty weird in hindsight.

He wasn't viewed that way during DOX or IVX. It was AVX when he created a Utopia against everyone's will when possessed by the Phoenix Force. So people should(and many do) blame that version of him on the Avenger's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    He wasn't viewed that way during DOX or IVX. It was AVX when he created a Utopia against everyone's will when possessed by the Phoenix Force. So people should(and many do) blame that version of him on the Avenger's story.
    Idk they were pretty adamant about the fact that Scott was allegedly responsible for some massacre battle with the Inhumans before DOX and IVX.

The entirety of Extra X-Men consisted of his "friends" throwing dirt on his name as if he were some kinda monster then he was called Hitler in Champions and so on. They tried to turn him into a pariah.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Idk they were pretty adamant about the fact that Scott was allegedly responsible for some massacre battle with the Inhumans before DOX and IVX.

The entirety of Extra X-Men consisted of his "friends" throwing dirt on his name as if he were some kinda monster then he was called Hitler in Champions and so on. They tried to turn him into a pariah.
    I think things got out of hand when they blamed him for what the Dark Phoenix did in AVX. For some reason they wanted to make an example out of him, to later kill him and immediately resurrect him. And then they wanted Emma to become a villain for Marvel's Legacy renaissance, and use the inhumans as props for Cyclops death and Emma's villainy.