Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    I enjyed it at the time. Pre-internet I had zero idea what was coming and that whole countdown aspect really threw me. Starting with issue 5 I thought I missed the first 4!! I also didn't see the parralax reveal coming and it stunned me. So mission accomplished.

    EXCEPT the JSA issue. That issue made me LIVID. I was a HUGE fan of the JSA at the time and that massacre was terrible. But really made Extant seem like a threat...

    As for Hawkman… I actually liked the merged version. It combined the feathered wings with the Space Cop again. I really hated the Hawkworld designs... so that was cool, but the stories afterward didn't hook me.



    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- If not for the choice to depict Hal Jordan as a typical power-mad villain, it could have been a compelling and challenging notion - that he wanted to undo certain tragedies to make everyone happy. It should be at least a bit tempting or lead to a debate since they make universe-altering decisions all the time.
    Agreed. Even back then I remember pointing out that 'changing time to save millions of people?!? In any other comic that would have the heroes' JOB. Heck, Infinity Gauntlet wasn't that long prior and they ended with a 'reset the clock 24 hours and everyone's alive again...'

  2. #17
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    As for Hawkman… I actually liked the merged version...
    we can never be friends

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed. Even back then I remember pointing out that 'changing time to save millions of people?!? In any other comic that would have the heroes' JOB. Heck, Infinity Gauntlet wasn't that long prior and they ended with a 'reset the clock 24 hours and everyone's alive again...'
    Yeah, somehow we have never been shown a battle over restoring reality where both sides were good guys. I mean picture the original Helena Wayne, the New 52 Superman, and Wally West each assembling a team trying to undo a Doctor Manhattan's meddling. The sticking point being that each team has a different idea of the "restored" universe. Helena would restore the Pre-Crisis set-up where her JSA existed on a separate Earth. Wally is striving to restore the Post-Crisis set-up with one Earth where the JSA and JLA both co-existed. And Superman-52 is looking to return a world where the Dark Multiverse had not been unleashed. The sticking point is that only one of these teams can bring back their history and in doing so will erase people from the other teams.

  4. #19
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    I liked the mini series as a whole. I haven't read it in years, but at the time I quite liked it.
    HATED what they did to the JSA. Seemed intentionally cruel and served no real story purpose other than to make Extant look like a real threat. Which, he wasn't of course.
    Loved most of the tie-in issues too. The Robin and Superboy issues were STELLAR.
    Hawkman was already a mess, but he was 100% radioactive after this. Just a complete convoluted mess that Johns finally sorted out a decade later.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    we can never be friends
    LOL

    for me 90% of my Hawkman appeal is his look. That helmet... those feathered wings.. the cross over harness. I love it. One of my top 5 character designs ever. Silver age Hawkman was always my favorite... but in a pinch I'd take Carter too... Hawkworld did nothing for me. His continuity was a disaster.

    Merged wasn't great... but it was a step in the right direction visually speaking. Like I said though.. the stories were terrible and I only stuck with it for a couple issues at best.

    I actually think I like the story behind the newest one best. All Hawkmen are the same spirit... reincarnated through time and space so he is/was BOTH space cop AND archaeologist and any other hawks necessary. One you add 'and time' into the mix then there's no reason that you can't have the same spirit operating in different bodies at the same time... and at least SOME of the wrinkles are ironed out

  6. #21
    Doctor Fate Doctor Kent Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tower of Fate
    Posts
    511

    Default

    I was like YES! The Justice Society is back... then I was like @#$!... this is crap!

  7. #22
    Mighty Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I liked the mini series as a whole. I haven't read it in years, but at the time I quite liked it.
    HATED what they did to the JSA. Seemed intentionally cruel and served no real story purpose other than to make Extant look like a real threat. Which, he wasn't of course.
    Loved most of the tie-in issues too. The Robin and Superboy issues were STELLAR.
    Hawkman was already a mess, but he was 100% radioactive after this. Just a complete convoluted mess that Johns finally sorted out a decade later.
    Robin tie-in was STELLAR, I agree, Chuck Dixon and Tom Grummett at their best.
    Cover was gorgeous, Tim & Dick in his former pixie boots costume: 10!

    I want to mention Robin #0 "Brothers in Arms" too, is one of my favorite comic ever.
    Tim teaming-up with long hair Nightwing Dick in an issue prelude for one of the events I love the most: Prodigal.

  8. #23
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    LOL

    for me 90% of my Hawkman appeal is his look. That helmet... those feathered wings.. the cross over harness. I love it. One of my top 5 character designs ever. Silver age Hawkman was always my favorite... but in a pinch I'd take Carter too... Hawkworld did nothing for me. His continuity was a disaster.

    Merged wasn't great... but it was a step in the right direction visually speaking. Like I said though.. the stories were terrible and I only stuck with it for a couple issues at best.

    I actually think I like the story behind the newest one best. All Hawkmen are the same spirit... reincarnated through time and space so he is/was BOTH space cop AND archaeologist and any other hawks necessary. One you add 'and time' into the mix then there's no reason that you can't have the same spirit operating in different bodies at the same time... and at least SOME of the wrinkles are ironed out
    I'm on your side about the feathers. The costume redesign was the second most significant fail of Hawkworld. The first was wiping away the Hawk's Silver Age-on history.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Loved most of the tie-in issues too. The Robin and Superboy issues were STELLAR.
    LOL! yeah... those are my two favorite tie ins as well. I love clark Kent Superboy and seeing him come back even for just an issue was amazing. I also liked the Barbara Gordon Batgirl one...

    Pretty much anything that brought back some of my favorite pre-crisis characters was instant gold to me.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm on your side about the feathers. The costume redesign was the second most significant fail of Hawkworld. The first was wiping away the Hawk's Silver Age-on history.
    Agreed! Just saying that Carter joined the League as a liason from the JSA wasn't good enough. Carter and Katar were vastly different characters and can't just be swapped out for one another... I know the original plan for both Wonder Woman and Hawkworld was that they were prequel/origin stories supposedly set in the past... similar to Emerald Dawn and Man of Steel.... They REALLY should have just left them like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •