Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I actually want a series, mini or maxi, of Jon's adventures after he escaped the volcano on Earth 3.

Lois and Clark was a pretty good story chronicling his childhood, even though it focused less on Jon himself. I love it. Now its out of continuity with its broad beats in Jon's backstory. I don't see what one can get by writing another story like this by writing the same story in the present continuity.

Maybe write a whole new one with Jon having powers right from his birth. Or say make it something like Yotsuba!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yotsuba%26!

Make it humorous and quirky. I am a fan of Jon. But i don' t think i want the same thing all over again.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm not interested in THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERBABY, with a 2 year old Jon...but god help us I'm sure someone is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm not interested in THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERBABY, with a 2 year old Jon...but god help us I'm sure someone is.
    Now I'm having flashbacks:

Superbaby.jpg

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I am interested. Hell, i would be be interested in superman family album like segment in superman comics. You know just add couple of extra pages with clark and lois trying take care of a kid who crush coal to diamond and stay hidden
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-04-2019 at 07:42 PM.

I'd rather have a series that continues to follow the chronicles of a 10-11 year old Jon Kent continuing his hero's journey under the watchful eyes of his father, going on adventures with Damian, making a name for himself as Superboy, balancing his school life with his superhero activities and providing a fresh pair of eyes to explore the Superman mythos through. Too bad someone put a stop to that goldmine of stories...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I'd rather have a series that continues to follow the chronicles of a 10-11 year old Jon Kent continuing his hero's journey under the watchful eyes of his father, going on adventures with Damian, making a name for himself as Superboy, balancing his school life with his superhero activities and providing a fresh pair of eyes to explore the Superman mythos through. Too bad someone put a stop to that goldmine of stories...
    I'd have preferred a series that followed Jon's life from a lot younger and showed him developing friends besides Damian and Kathy. But somehow we missed out on his life prior to ten years old.

Nothing against Kathy but I can't quite accept that Jon seems to enjoy school but has only made one friend there in ten years, Where is his Pete Ross, Kenny Braverman, Carl "Moosie" Draper …

Where are his first steps, first words, first time Uncle Jimmy babysat him, ...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

During his lost voyage in a different dimension? No, because the supporting cast and interaction I'm interested, his family and Damian, are not there.

Spectacular Member

What I want to see is the timeframe of November, 2011 - Convergence. That is were we need the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    What I want to see is the timeframe of November, 2011 - Convergence. That is were we need the stories.
    Convergence was retconned out with Superman Reborn. Jon was born in the Fortress of Solitude, with Bruce guarding the outside, and Diana helping Lois give birth.

And besides, we DID have a series about Jon, as a kid, making friends, going to school, and going on his own adventures. But that was canceled.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Convergence was retconned out with Superman Reborn. Jon was born in the Fortress of Solitude, with Bruce guarding the outside, and Diana helping Lois give birth.

And besides, we DID have a series about Jon, as a kid, making friends, going to school, and going on his own adventures. But that was canceled.

That book had a sequel but not many people bought it

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That book had a sequel but not many people bought it
    Because the sequel was forced to take place in the past (since Bendis took over the Super books), and thus wouldn't have much in the way of consequence.

There's still zero evidence that had anything to do with it despite how much the excuse is used. If out-of-continuity entirely books can and do sell well, there's no reason why a book very much in-continuity but just with the addendum of being being prior to the most current of events would be that off-putting to readers. The consequence excuse doesn't make much sense either, as a self-contained tale can and does have its own set of consequences if constructed halfway decently. And I'm sure this book had its own set of consequences just like any other story. Knowing what comes next doesn't necessarily rid a potential story of any punch. Look at origins. We get those all the time and they still manage to sell. Even if the readers know full well what comes next.

It just didn't sell great. I get being mad at Bendis for what he did in the current day but there's zero indication it had any bearing on that book. Its not his fault it sold poorly.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Because the sequel was forced to take place in the past (since Bendis took over the Super books), and thus wouldn't have much in the way of consequence.
    Is not the enjoyment gained from reading it consequence enough?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think it was the only DC book that didn't have a "B" variant cover, which probably was sufficient to knock it out of the 20K's. Add to the fact that it lost Jimenz and Tomasi definitely seemed to phone it in on this, it's no surprise it didn't sell as well as it could have. As it stands, it sold around the same as Supergirl, Red Hood, Hawkman, and the Wonder Comics titles. So it's not like it's cancellation was inevitable. If they wanted to continue the Super Sons' like this they could. So I think some of the blame does rest with Bendis and the new direction for Jon. That and they are focusing on the DC Kids versions.