Astonishing Member

Default Manor Black (Dark Horse)

Sis anyone else pick up a copy of #1? The premise was rather familiar, but I thought it was very well done. I'm looking forward to #2.

Dang, the LCS owner asked if I had checked this out and I thought he said "Men In Black" and I went on a rant about how I can't get into licensed franchise comics. What is this book about?
    Last edited by Ulysses; 08-02-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Astonishing Member

As I said, the basic premise is pretty familiar: an elderly mage who is descended from a long line of powerful mages is nearing the end of his lifetime, and he must choose a worthy successor to carry on the family tradition and its magical knowledge. In that regard it is somewhat reminiscent of Mark Millar and Olivier Coipel's The Magic Order, although the general atmosphere is (IMHO) more nearly like that of Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott's Black Magick. Since the first issue of course serves just to set up the premise, it's hard to tell exactly in what direction they will run with it, but Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt have set it up quite well with various intriguing details (such as the involvement of all the deceased mages in discussing the traditions), and artist Tyler Crook portrays it in a nice Gothic horror setting. (Remember the TV show "Dark Shadows"?) It's a 4-issue mini-series, so perhaps a lot of people will wait for the trade. Anyway, I felt is was worth the purchase, but your mileage may vary, depending on whether you like supernatural-based comics.

I love occult stuff! I asked the LCS to put #1 in my box.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith