View Poll Results: Who is Iron Man’s archenemy?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Mandarin still

25 47.17%
  • Iron Monger

2 3.77%
  • Ezekiel Stane

1 1.89%
  • Madame Masque

2 3.77%
  • Someone else

8 15.09%
  • He has none

14 26.42%
  • His real archnemesis is yet to be revealed

1 1.89%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Tony Stark but that’s one of the reasons he’s fun to read about/watch..

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    The Mandarin appears so infrequently that I have a hard time considering him the archenemy. If I were going to go with an existing and obvious character, it'd be Tony as his own worst enemy. That feels like a bit of a cheat, so I picked "yet to be revealed". At this point, they really should do one of the following:

The Mandarin should be used as frequently as Lex is for Superman.
    An existing character should be get some character development, appear more, and see if they can turn that character into his archenemy. I can't believe it is necessary to state this, but it has to be a costumed villain. It should not be a government agency, a politician, booze, or another hero.

Honestly, I don't think any armored villain would work. Tony is always going to be the best armor creator, so all others will end up deficient in order to maintain his status. Beyond that, I have no clear candidate in mind.
    I think what helps Mandarin (at least for me) is he was the primary villain for both of the main Iron Man cartoons.

I mean, those aren't as popular as some other Marvel cartoons, but still.

They should re-purpose Kang to be his arch enemy. Tony is not than just his armor, he's a visionary always looking to the future.

What greater enemy than someone from the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    They should re-purpose Kang to be his arch enemy. Tony is not than just his armor, he's a visionary always looking to the future.

That's sort of a step backwards for Kang though. He's going from the arch enemy of the Avengers as a whole to just being Starks.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's sort of a step backwards for Kang though. He's going from the arch enemy of the Avengers as a whole to just being Starks.
    Not necessarily. Kang's big thing is tech same as Tony's. We've seen storylines where things that Tony's done having a great impact on the future. That's something that would definitely concern Kang.

And we've seen a similar scenario with Doom and it wasn't a step backwards for him.

Not necessarily. Kang's big thing is tech same as Tony's. We've seen storylines where things that Tony's done having a great impact on the future. That's something that would definitely concern Kang.

And we've seen a similar scenario with Doom and it wasn't a step backwards for him.
    Great point about Doom with Tony. It was a logical step.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

It's not a step backwards for Doom because it's not a regular thing.

A couple stories with Kang here and there would be great. I just don't want Kang regularly losing to just Tony when he's arguably the Avengers greatest enemy (him or Ultron... maybe Thanos now because of the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Great point about Doom with Tony. It was a logical step.
    Doom started out seeing Tony as less than himself(as he does with everyone) but he eventually gives Tony his props and respect.

That was good to see.

It's not a step backwards for Doom because it's not a regular thing.

A couple stories with Kang here and there would be great. I just don't want Kang regularly losing to just Tony when he's arguably the Avengers greatest enemy (him or Ultron... maybe Thanos now because of the movie).
    Tony isn't just a guy in armor, he's one of the smartest people in the MU. So Kang becoming his archrivals no step back. For the most part, all of the Avengers usually fight Kang because he's bringing an army. If he hand to, Tony can always remote operate multiple armor's that can handle the redshirts.

Tony isn't just a guy in armor, he's one of the smartest people in the MU. So Kang becoming his archrivals no step back. For the most part, all of the Avengers usually fight Kang because he's bringing an army. If he hand to, Tony can always remote operate multiple armor's that can handle the redshirts.

I don't mean to diminish Tony at all when I say that I don't want an Avenger level opponent losing to a single Avenger regularly. I think the point of an Avenger level threat is that they are opponents the Avengers need to come together to face. I think it's nice when you have a couple of those. ANd I'd say the same thing for Doom and Thanos and Magneto. It's nice having a couple villains who are at a level where even top tier heroes need to band together to face. And Kang, despite not having the same level of notoriety as those guys I think is generally shown to be at that level. Kang stories are often Avenger events. Not always... but it's frequent though. I think there's a danger in watering him down when he's used to much outside that capacity.

I don't mean to diminish Tony at all when I say that I don't want an Avenger level opponent losing to a single Avenger regularly. I think the point of an Avenger level threat is that they are opponents the Avengers need to come together to face. I think it's nice when you have a couple of those. ANd I'd say the same thing for Doom and Thanos and Magneto. It's nice having a couple villains who are at a level where even top tier heroes need to band together to face. And Kang, despite not having the same level of notoriety as those guys I think is generally shown to be at that level. Kang stories are often Avenger events. Not always... but it's frequent though. I think there's a danger in watering him down when he's used to much outside that capacity.
    You don't water Kang down. You make Tony dig down deep to stop him. That's the premise behind comics. The villains are usually greater than the hero. The hero finds a way to stop him.

I don't see Kang being diminished at all being Tony's archenemy. This just means Tony will have to work harder.

I've always thought that it was a mistake to not have Stark be Ultron's creator. Artificial intelligence wasn't in Pym's wheelhouse at the time. Cybernetics isn't the same thing.

You don't water Kang down. You make Tony dig down deep to stop him. That's the premise behind comics. The villains are usually greater than the hero. The hero finds a way to stop him.

I don't see Kang being diminished at all being Tony's archenemy. This just means Tony will have to work harder.

Sure. Which is why I think having them face off one in awhile is great. I just wouldn't want it being a regular thing. If Kang becomes Tonys arch enemy, that basically means Kang becomes someone Tony beats on a regular basis. Beat the same guy over and over again, and eventually you stop being the underdog.

They've kind of flirted with that in Avengers. Where Zemo is the anti-Cap in Avengers stories, and Loki remains the anti-Thor both in Avengers and Thor's solo, they've flirted with making Kang the anti-Iron Man. They've never committed to it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I've always thought that it was a mistake to not have Stark be Ultron's creator. Artificial intelligence wasn't in Pym's wheelhouse at the time. Cybernetics isn't the same thing.
    I think that's why the movies went that direction. On paper Ultron does seem more like something Stark would do than Pym.

Though at the same time, the whole Oedipus complex thing Ultron ends up developing probably did more for Pym than it would have for Stark.