View Poll Results: Who is Iron Man’s archenemy?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Mandarin still

25 47.17%
  • Iron Monger

2 3.77%
  • Ezekiel Stane

1 1.89%
  • Madame Masque

2 3.77%
  • Someone else

8 15.09%
  • He has none

14 26.42%
  • His real archnemesis is yet to be revealed

1 1.89%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They weren't trying to make the new characters the Mandarin (I think a few of them even tried being superheroes). It was just a story about Tony having to deal with villainous technology in the wrong hands.
    yeah, well it failed miserably. most of the run was misstep (imo).

i wonder if they could get away with bringing Obadiah Stane back. he was a legitimate threat to Tony while also being of his world (the world of munitions making). just imagine if they revealed that Amanda Armstrong and Tony being adopted was all a ruse orchestrated by Obadiah to throw him off his game. and it'd be a double mind**** because he'd also have let his own son believe him to be dead this entire time; simply to mold Zeke into a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i wonder if they could get away with bringing Obadiah Stane back. he was a legitimate threat to Tony while also being of his world (the world of munitions making). just imagine if they revealed that Amanda Armstrong and Tony being adopted was all a ruse orchestrated by Obadiah to throw him off his game. and it'd be a double mind**** because he'd also have let his own son believe him to be dead this entire time; simply to mold Zeke into a villain.
    I hope not. He was more of a plot-device than a character. I would greatly prefer he stay dead.

I know the Mandarin hasn't gotten the best treatment, but I enjoyed him during Matt Fractions run of Invincible Iron Man...I don't think anyone here mentioned it. It would be great to bring out a Mandarin like Fraction wrote, but rope in Riri and bring back a little Ironverse crossover event. I'd really like to see some great mysterious and cunning Mandarin writing.

For people who don’t think The Mandarin is Tony’s arch nemesis should check out Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin by Joe Casey and Eric Canete. It really establishes why they are each other’s arch rivals.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    For people who don’t think The Mandarin is Tony’s arch nemesis should check out Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin by Joe Casey and Eric Canete. It really establishes why they are each other’s arch rivals.
    I actually don't think that story established that well at all. It was mostly an action story, and the dialogue was rather vague. I'd say Busiek established the core conflict way, waaayyyy better in issue #10 of his run.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I actually don't think that story established that well at all. It was mostly an action story, and the dialogue was rather vague. I'd say Busiek established the core conflict way, waaayyyy better in issue #10 of his run.
    I like Busieks issue as it was well done, but I disagree with you on Enter The Mandarin. I thought it was a great fleshing out of their first encounter and set it up for everyone that came after.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Eh, I don't think anything in that mini was remotely as defining and epic and disturbing as the speech Busiek gave The Mandarin: "To know that you are superior-- in mind, in body, in spirit. Everything! To know that power is your birthright-- to know what untold thousands exist on this world for no reason but to serve you-- to channel their powers through your empire, be it of land or of business-- channeling it upward to fuel you, to fuel your glory!"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Eh, I don't think anything in that mini was remotely as defining and epic and disturbing as the speech Busiek gave The Mandarin: "To know that you are superior-- in mind, in body, in spirit. Everything! To know that power is your birthright-- to know what untold thousands exist on this world for no reason but to serve you-- to channel their powers through your empire, be it of land or of business-- channeling it upward to fuel you, to fuel your glory!"
    That’s a great monologue, but I still would go with Enter The Mandarin for people who want to see why they are each other’s rivals.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-15-2019 at 09:42 PM.