View Poll Results: Who is Iron Man’s archenemy?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Mandarin still

25 47.17%
  • Iron Monger

2 3.77%
  • Ezekiel Stane

1 1.89%
  • Madame Masque

2 3.77%
  • Someone else

8 15.09%
  • He has none

14 26.42%
  • His real archnemesis is yet to be revealed

1 1.89%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    who considers Stark to be their archenemy? he's a worthy rival of anyone.
    I think pretty much every Iron Man villain considers themselves to be Stark's archenemy.

I don't think that's true. Several of them are mercenaries who don't even think in those terms at all. The Mandarin and maybe Living Laser are the ones with the most personal grudge against Stark.

Right now, honestly, he doesn't have one.

I'd love for Justin Hammer or Edwin Cord to return and present a real challenge to Tony.

Maybe Arno and Sunset will fill the void.

I'd almost have to say Mandarin by default, since he's maybe the only Iron Man rogue that's still around and still worth Tony's time.

OP Question - The Mandarin, I suppose. I can't think of anyone else who comes close even though the Mandarin hasn't had a story in many years now.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wonder how Doom feels about Tony now and vice versa. Doom felt it was his duty to honor Tony's memory when he became Infamous Iron Man. I'm sure Tony would agree with his AI and say thanks but no thanks. But there wasn't any leftover animosity on Doom's part when he returned from Secret Wars. But then again I look at Slott and what he did with Doom's appearance in the Fantastic Four.

It’s the Mandarin. Always has. Always will be.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wonder how Doom feels about Tony now and vice versa. Doom felt it was his duty to honor Tony's memory when he became Infamous Iron Man. I'm sure Tony would agree with his AI and say thanks but no thanks. But there wasn't any leftover animosity on Doom's part when he returned from Secret Wars. But then again I look at Slott and what he did with Doom's appearance in the Fantastic Four.
    I would love to see Tony and Doom interact now. After everything they both have gone through and were they’re both at now.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I don't think they'll reference that too much. Having Doom still around as the Infamous Iron Man as Tony re-establishes himself would have allowed for some memorable encounters.

But I don't see much if any interaction between these two even though they have history.

Yeah, I'm wondering how they would interact too. But I'm sure we'll get our answer sooner or later... someone's gonna to a time travel story with them at some point. That seems to be their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    It’s the Mandarin. Always has. Always will be.
    Iron Man's first appearance was in Tales of Suspense #39 (March 1963).
    Mandarin's first appearance was in Tales of Suspense #50 (February 1964).
    So not quite an "always has".

to find his archenemy, you have to first define Tony's motivation. The Red Skull's goals are diametrically opposed to Captain America's. So who is that to Tony? I still think that Spymaster was right. He outgrew his rogues gallery. I guess it could be said that Stane represents something that Tony abhors; the perversion of advanced technology (his own technology specifically). But Zeke hasn't earned his stripes. To me, what is important to Tony is control. That makes him his archenemy because nature cursed him with dependency/human frailty. Even now that he's not fully human.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-02-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    to find his archenemy, you have to first define Tony's motivation. The Red Skull's goals are diametrically opposed to Captain America's. So who is that to Tony? I still think that Spymaster was right. He outgrew his rogues gallery. I guess it could be said that Stane represents something that Tony abhors; the perversion of advanced technology (his own technology specifically). But Zeke hasn't earned his stripes. To me, what is important to Tony is control. That makes him his archenemy because nature cursed him with dependency/human frailty. Even now that he's not fully human.
    About having diametrically opposing views, I think that’s why the stanes are the closest thing to an archenemy. Obadiah is old fashioned, always thinking about war, profit and conquest while tony wants a better more optimistic future. Ezekiel is shameless and again just wants profit for profits sake. Often a great archenemy is like “what if the hero was bad” (like magneto or red hood). I think that’s why Ezekiel is cool too because he’s the other side of capitalism or even tony before he got captured

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Iron Man's first appearance was in Tales of Suspense #39 (March 1963).
    Mandarin's first appearance was in Tales of Suspense #50 (February 1964).
    So not quite an "always has".
    I was being hyperbolic. Try not to take everything verbatim on the internet lol.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I would love to see Tony and Doom interact now. After everything they both have gone through and were they’re both at now.
    I expect them to interact again at some point. With Doom being on the run in his upcoming solo, maybe Tony will be one of those looking to capture him.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering how they would interact too. But I'm sure we'll get our answer sooner or later... someone's gonna to a time travel story with them at some point. That seems to be their thing.
    I know Layton and Michelinie finished their time trilogy some years back. They've been to the past, the future and the last was the present. But it wasn't as good as the other two. What other direction could they go...sideways maybe? As in a parallel universe. We saw a glimpse of Sorcerer Supreme Tony in Infamous Iron Man. With Bendis gone, no one has really touched upon that AFAIK.