Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I'm really surprised BBC doesn't show more football.
    Gotta be down to money. They just can't compete with Sky and BT. They ought to try and get some Championship games at least. I do like the FA Cup on the BBC but they don't always pick the best fixtures to show live.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    So the Premiership is back from the 17th June. The Championship COULD be back from the 20th June and League One and Two will make a decision on the 8th June. I really hope all 4 leagues complete their fixtures, as strange as it will be behind closed doors. At least we'll be getting 25 matches on free-to-air TV from the Premiership.
    Just League One to make a decision. League Two already voted to end the season last week, and just needs to arrange play off dates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52847826
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Gotta be down to money. They just can't compete with Sky and BT. They ought to try and get some Championship games at least. I do like the FA Cup on the BBC but they don't always pick the best fixtures to show live.
    They pick some of the worst. And yeah, championship games make sense or even non-league.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I'm sure I read that the BBC haven't shown a top division game live on TV since the 87-88 season. Mad how we needed a pandemic for the BBC to get it back.
    Wait, they actually put the Premiership on pay TV in England? I mean, in the states, our top flight leagues have cable TV deals, but the majority of games that matter are on free television to get a larger rating, and the cable TV audience gets the crap teams, with the exception of baseball, where it's nothing but Red Sox & Yankees, or hockey, where the same 5 teams get all the market share.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

So the Premiership is back from the 17th June. The Championship COULD be back from the 20th June and League One and Two will make a decision on the 8th June. I really hope all 4 leagues complete their fixtures, as strange as it will be behind closed doors. At least we'll be getting 25 matches on free-to-air TV from the Premiership.
    Like Dignified said, League Two voted to end the season but yeah hopefully the other three divisions will get to play out the rest of the season starting from this month.

BBC could compete if they wanted to but instead they give that money to their big fat cats instead of into programming. As for the Championship games, well at least they get a highlights programme LOL.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Like Dignified said, League Two voted to end the season but yeah hopefully the other three divisions will get to play out the rest of the season starting from this month.

BBC could compete if they wanted to but instead they give that money to their big fat cats instead of into programming. As for the Championship games, well at least they get a highlights programme LOL.
    I think Quest does it now right?

I think Quest does it now right?
    That's the one! I couldn't remember the name of the channel. But yeah they're the ones who do the Championship, League One and League Two Highlights. They also do the Carabao Cup highlights as well.

Whether that'll remain the case next season I don't know.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'm really surprised BBC doesn't show more football.
    They got priced out when Sky beat ITV to the rights back at the turn of the 90's. Although a terrestrial channel would never be able to have the same level of coverage that a sports specific channel like Sky Sports or BT Sport can do, it would be nice to see certain games available for everyone again.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I've seen some Bundesliga games this weekend.

Bayern Munich winning 5-0 in what was basically an exhibition game for them against Dusseldorf. Monchengladbach winning 4-1 with the impressive Plea and Thuram (I think that's his name) getting three goals between them and Dortmund beating Paderborn 6-1 with Sancho getting a hat-trick and Emre Can giving the penalty away for Paderborn's consolation goal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    They'd cop too much flak for it. If the BBC were paying the amounts for football that Sky and BT are doing then there would be an uproar. Although football is quite rightfully the biggest sport in the UK by far, huge chunks of the population are still not that interested. There would be people complaining about it being a waste of their license fee, refusing to pay for it. The likes of The Sun newspaper and other media enemies of the BBC would have a field day bashing the corporation for spending too much money on football, and so on. Better for the BBC to pay minimal fees for things like athletics that they can then stick on BBC2 on a Sunday afternoon and still say they provide good value sports coverage. The odd Championship game would be a great idea though.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I watched VFB Stuttgart beat Dynamo Dresden 0-2 in the German second division last weekend.

Thing is, I can't stand football matches without an atmosphere generated by a crowd. The Bundesliga football games I've watched have been with the sound muted and music playing instead. Gotta say, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Appetite For Destruction both go well with a bit of football action!
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I watched VFB Stuttgart beat Dynamo Dresden 0-2 in the German second division last weekend.

Thing is, I can't stand football matches without an atmosphere generated by a crowd. The Bundesliga football games I've watched have been with the sound muted and music playing instead. Gotta say, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Appetite For Destruction both go well with a bit of football action!
    Hah! I can just imagine listening to ''Welcome To The Jungle'' during a football match.

I won't get to see it since I start work in an hour but will you get a chance to watch the Cologne v RB Leipzig match today? I don't know of any other matches that are on today though I have heard that the La Liga starts on the 11th.

If not WillieMorgan, will anyone be watching the game I mentioned or any other games today?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    They'd cop too much flak for it. If the BBC were paying the amounts for football that Sky and BT are doing then there would be an uproar. Although football is quite rightfully the biggest sport in the UK by far, huge chunks of the population are still not that interested. There would be people complaining about it being a waste of their license fee, refusing to pay for it. The likes of The Sun newspaper and other media enemies of the BBC would have a field day bashing the corporation for spending too much money on football, and so on. Better for the BBC to pay minimal fees for things like athletics that they can then stick on BBC2 on a Sunday afternoon and still say they provide good value sports coverage. The odd Championship game would be a great idea though.
    Until last year, The Sun had the same corporate owner as Sky (which has now been sold to Comcast), so The Sun would obviously favour Sky. Now they're no longer connected to the pay broadcaster, there's no reason for them to not champion what the public would want, free coverage.

But it is true that the BBC can't afford the whole rights. Would be nice to see them get a few games per season from now on though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure if having the premier league would really help the BBC. TV licences are their golden nuggets but a lot of people will stream football.

Although I didn't get to see the game I know RB Leipzig beat Cologne 4-2 last night and apparently Timo Werner scored a good goal last night.