Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Default Association Football / Soccer 2019-2020 Season

The most recent football related thread dates right back to the 2017-18 season so I figured maybe it needed updating.

Yes, I bear the terrible, dreaded news that the new football season kicks off this weekend . Tonight in fact with Luton Town hosting Middlesbrough in their first match since being promoted to the Championship earlier in the year. Should be a good occasion for their fans. This is a club that's been through some bad times in recent years but has managed to get itself up to a decent level of football again.

Hopes and fears for the season? I see Dybala linked with United now but I'll believe it when I see it.

Months and months of football. How will we cope?

An interesting fact about this season is that my dear friends from the west end of the M62 motorway, Liverpool FC, have no less than seven trophies to go for this year. They are:

Premier League
    FA Cup
    League Cup
    UEFA Champions League
    UEFA Super Cup
    FIFA Club World Cup

And last but not least, ahem, the Community Shield. That's on Sunday I believe. It will be interesting to see how their season pans out. I wonder how well John Ossie feels their chances are here.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Ah the end of an era and the start of a new one regarding Soccer threads LOL.

Also, I made a mistake in my last post in the old thread and that was that I said Shamrock had qualified but they actually knocked out.

As for Liverpool, well I wouldn't complain if we ended up with all seven trophies LOL. Hopefully we can beat City on Sunday, not just because we're playing for a trophy at Wembley but it's a great way to start the season off before we face Norwich next week. I'm optimistic about our chances of silverware (ideally the Premier League of course) after what happened last season, however I'm also wary because of what happened the last three times we finished second in the premier league and how we went downhill quickly before having to rebuild back up again so I'm hopeful this season doesn't turn out like the last three.

The Scottish League season begins on the weekend, I'll be keeping an eye out for Rangers since they're not only managed by Stevie G but they also have Ojo on loan there and I want to see how he gets on. The lower leagues of English football also begin this weekend.

As for tonight's game between Luton and Middlesbrough, I'm actually rooting for Middlesbrough tonight since I put a bet on and I need Middlesbrough (as well as five other games to go my way) to win so sorry Luton but I need you to lose tonight LOL.

It was a great thread John . Thanks for adopting this new one. I just felt like it was time that's all. Hopefully we can make this a good thread as well.

Obviously it will the tallest of tall odds for Liverpool to win anywhere near all seven trophies. I'd almost say it's impossible, given the number of games involved. What a dilemma to have though. It doesn't happen often.

Hope you win your Middlesbrough bet. I'm totally neutral in this so I can root for you in this. I'll be sticking the game on in about half an hour.

My first post in the new football thread. There were over 2000 posts in the old one, with a large chunk of them probably me moaning about Swansea. So...here I go again!

Today we sold McBurnie to Sheff Utd for £20m. There was no way we were going to turn down that kinda money for him, so good business for us (even if it does just line the pockets of the owners). Our problem now is replacing the 24 goals that he got for us last season. Borja Baston is back at the Swans after flopping and being on loan for a while, so after a decent preseason from him, I'm hoping he steps up until we sign a new striker. Some transfer news for us though...

Sweden international forward Kristoffer Peterson has signed a three-year contract at Swansea City.

The 24-year-old joins from Dutch club Heracles for an undisclosed fee which is thought to be worth around £500,000 rising to £1m.

I feel like he's more of a Dan James replacement than a McBurnie replacement though. Swansea have got Hull at home tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I'd like to think it was a ''legendary'' thread given how many pages it had

Ironically someone did ask me to start a new one a few weeks back but I declined, politely of course, by saying I'll wait until more people ask but well you beat me to it anyway LOL.

As for Liverpool, it wouldn't be a terrible way to start the season if we can beat both Chelsea and Man City to win the Community Shield and Super Cup respectively. It'd be a nice way to start of the season review at the end of the season LOL.

I can't watch the game since it's on Sky but yeah obviously I'll be rooting for Middlesbrough. BTW if I do win the bet this week I'll win £59.54 apparently. Hope you enjoy the game tonight WillieMorgan. I will be watching Tranmere tomorrow against Rochdale as I'll be there as part of my job so I'll get to watch their game, funnily enough I need Tranmere to win as well LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    My first post in the new football thread. There were over 2000 posts in the old one, with a large chunk of them probably me moaning about Swansea. So...here I go again!

Today we sold McBurnie to Sheff Utd for £20m. There was no way we were going to turn down that kinda money for him, so good business for us (even if it does just line the pockets of the owners). Our problem now is replacing the 24 goals that he got for us last season. Borja Baston is back at the Swans after flopping and being on loan for a while, so after a decent preseason from him, I'm hoping he steps up until we sign a new striker. Some transfer news for us though...

Sweden international forward Kristoffer Peterson has signed a three-year contract at Swansea City.

The 24-year-old joins from Dutch club Heracles for an undisclosed fee which is thought to be worth around £500,000 rising to £1m.

I feel like he's more of a Dan James replacement than a McBurnie replacement though. Swansea have got Hull at home tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Hey Fluffy.

20m for McBurnie is decent business at least, assuming the board allow your manager to spend some of it of course LOL. Good luck against Hull tomorrow, I'm neutral on that one since it's not one of the games I need to go my way LOL. Hope this Peterson lad works out for you. Must be pleased about Wolves getting through at least last night?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I'd like to think it was a ''legendary'' thread given how many pages it had

Ironically someone did ask me to start a new one a few weeks back but I declined, politely of course, by saying I'll wait until more people ask but well you beat me to it anyway LOL.

As for Liverpool, it wouldn't be a terrible way to start the season if we can beat both Chelsea and Man City to win the Community Shield and Super Cup respectively. It'd be a nice way to start of the season review at the end of the season LOL.

I can't watch the game since it's on Sky but yeah obviously I'll be rooting for Middlesbrough. BTW if I do win the bet this week I'll win £59.54 apparently. Hope you enjoy the game tonight WillieMorgan. I will be watching Tranmere tomorrow against Rochdale as I'll be there as part of my job so I'll get to watch their game, funnily enough I need Tranmere to win as well LOL.
    Yeah okay, we can go there. It was a legendary thread John .

It's just about to kick off in Luton. The players are about to walk out on to the pitch. Again, good luck with your bet.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post

Yeah, I read about that on the BBC Football website this afternoon. Although it's a blow for Swansea so close to their season starting they really can't turn down a 20 million offer. Sheffield United spending THAT kind of money. The world's gone mad.

Apart from that setback how do you feel that Swansea will get on this season?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah okay, we can go there. It was a legendary thread John .

It's just about to kick off in Luton. The players are about to walk out on to the pitch. Again, good luck with your bet.
    Whatever happens with the game I hope it's a decent if not great game for you WillieMorgan.

1-0 to Middlesbrough after just six minutes.

Looks like John Ossie is well on his way to that £59.54.

1-0 to Middlesbrough after just six minutes.

Looks like John Ossie is well on his way to that £59.54.
    Good start but I'll still need Wrexham, Forest Green, Tranmere, Fylde and Hibernian to win tomorrow LOL. Still, good start for both my bet and for Middlesbrough.

Good start but I'll still need Wrexham, Forest Green, Tranmere, Fylde and Hibernian to win tomorrow LOL. Still, good start for both my bet and for Middlesbrough.
    Well, unfortunately for you, Luton have just equalised with an absolute screamer. Golazo and all that.

1-1 after 17 minutes. What a start.

Well, unfortunately for you, Luton have just equalised with an absolute screamer. Golazo and all that.

1-1 after 17 minutes. What a start.
    Heh. Not a bad way for you to start the new season eh? 2 goals in less than 20 minutes with one of them being a screamer.

Heh. Not a bad way for you to start the new season eh? 2 goals in less than 20 minutes with one of them being a screamer.
    It's actually three goals now. Sorry to say John but Luton are now in the lead. Still a long way to go yet though.

As a neutral this HAS been a cracking start though.