Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    It's actually three goals now. Sorry to say John but Luton are now in the lead. Still a long way to go yet though.

As a neutral this HAS been a cracking start though.
    Certainly sounds like a cracking game, WillieMorgan. I'll have to check the final score later since Bertie is starting to bark at me now for his walk (even though he's not due till 9 LOL). I'll be back on tomorrow hopefully, enjoy the rest of the game WillieMorgan.

Extraordinary Member

Luton winning the cracker.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Luton Town 3-3 Middlesbrough

What a belting start that was. Six goals, a couple of them screamers. A definite penalty that Luton should have been awarded but weren't (VAR would have given that immediately). A dubious penalty that Middlesbrough won but then missed. Top stuff to kick off with. Kudos to both sets of players.

Next up is Nottingham Forest v. West Bromwich Albion this evening.

Extraordinary Member

Quest have great coverage on the Football league

I may've lost my bet due to both Tranmere and Middlesbrough failing to win their games but at least both games had plenty of goals in them LOL. The Tranmere v Rochdale match was a good match. Tranmere had more chances but Rochdale looked the more technically gifted of the two sides and their 2nd and 3rd goals were quite nice to watch, having said that I think Tranmere will be ok this season but I don't see them getting promoted on yesterday's evidence. Having said that I was hugely impressed with Rochdale's Ian Henderson, not only did he score twice and played a part in the third goal for them but basically every move they made offensively went through him and he was involved in a lot of good stuff for them, and IMO he was easily man of the match. From Tranmere's perspective I liked what I saw from Jennings, Monthe and their number 10, don't know his name LOL but he kinda reminded me of a young Emile Heskey in that he looked physically strong with a decent amount of pace on him.

Lots of goals yesterday, only one goalless draw in the EFL all of yesterday. And Leeds are currently beating Bristol City 3-1 as well so that's another match with goals in LOL. That's in the 88th minute as I'm typing this so it'll probably be the final score.

Stevie G's Rangers side got of to a winning start in the SPL, though Celtic are top of the table as usual after a 7-0 win against St. Johnstone.

Salford won their first ever league game. Leyton Orient got an emotional win in their first post-Justin Edinburgh death game, kinda appropriate that the guy who scored the winner was the last ever signing of Justin and was a mate of his as well.

Happiest fans of the weekend has to go to Cove Rangers in SPL's League Two though since they beat promotion favourites Edinburgh City 5-0. Not a bad way to start your first ever League 2 match eh?

And of course, I have to talk about the Community Shield LOL. Liverpool lost on penalties after drawing 1-1 in the regular game. Of course Sterling had to open the scoring but at least we got back into it with a Matip goal, it was Matip's turn to play super-sub LOL. Pity Wijnaldum had his penalty save but at least Liverpool did well today, not too many complaints overall about our performance even if we do start the season of with a loss on penalties. Still feeling positive about the season ahead as City are a hell of a team right now and we took them to penalties. Looking forward to seeing how we do against Norwich next week.

Stockport lost their first game back in the National League by 1-0, the match was a bit of a downer after watching Tranmere v Rochdale to be honest LOL. Though to be fair a 3-2 game is hard to follow. Torquay won their first game back in the National League though. Don't know why I'm mentioning them but there you go LOL.
    Last edited by John Ossie; 08-04-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Also, Aberdeen beat Hearts 3-2 with Cosgrove getting another two goals to follow up on his midweek hat-trick against Chikhura in the European Qualifier so he's on form right now.

And...it's official, Leeds have beaten Bristol City 3-1 away from home to kick of their campaign, based on the scoreline it seems the only negative from their perspective is that they allowed Bristol City to get a consolation with 11 minutes to go before stoppage time. Still, I'm sure their fans won't complain too much about the start to their season.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post

Stevie G's Rangers side got of to a winning start in the SPL, though Celtic are top of the table as usual after a 7-0 win against St. Johnstone.
    I watched that game this afternoon. Rangers scored a very late winner and bedlam erupted. The fans came spilling out of their terrace and onto the pitch. There was so much commotion that a disabled shelter got it's roof ripped off. Luckily no-one was seriously hurt. It was more down to over-exuberance than malice though.

Other than that it's been the MLS for me mainly this weekend. I watched Atlanta United 2-0 Los Angeles Galaxy last night and taped New England Revolution 0-2 LA FC to watch later this afternoon after the Rangers game. There's been my usual South American highlights too. Santos look awesome in Brazil at the moment. They beat Goias 6-1 this weekend to stay top of the league there.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I watched that game this afternoon. Rangers scored a very late winner and bedlam erupted. The fans came spilling out of their terrace and onto the pitch. There was so much commotion that a disabled shelter got it's roof ripped off. Luckily no-one was seriously hurt. It was more down to over-exuberance than malice though.

Other than that it's been the MLS for me mainly this weekend. I watched Atlanta United 2-0 Los Angeles Galaxy last night and taped New England Revolution 0-2 LA FC to watch later this afternoon after the Rangers game. There's been my usual South American highlights too. Santos look awesome in Brazil at the moment. They beat Goias 6-1 this weekend to stay top of the league there.
    And that's when Rangers beat Kilmarnock on the opening day of the season. Imagine if that was the Glasgow Derby...

Least you had plenty of MLS to watch as well along with your South American highlights.

There is of course one more EFL match tomorrow, Huddersfield v Derby. New manager for Derby and Huddersfield's first EFL game in 2 years. I'll check the score out if I can on that one.

I see Derby won 2-1 tonight, good start for their new manager and for Tom Lawrence who got both their goals before Huddersfield got one back via a penalty from Ahearne-Grant.

I also see Man Utd have definitely got Harry Maguire now so I wonder if WillieMorgan is happy with that? Liverpool have signed Adrian for nothing so I can't complain since he's a freebie and will be an ok back up from what I've seen of him to Allisson.

Derby were comfortably the better team last night. The landlord of my local pub is a Huddersfield Town fan and he will have been at the match. He won't like me saying this but I wasn't impressed with his team at all to be frank. Derby may have conceded a cheap penalty after going two goals up to gift Town both a goal and a fighting chance to get back into the game but that match could still be going on right now and Huddersfield wouldn't have managed another goal. I don't think a swift return to the Premier League will be happening based on that evidence.

Yeah, I'm happy with the Harry Maguire signing, as expensive as it is. That's exactly the kind of player United should be going for. Young and hungry. All that I'm looking for this season is a team with heart and dedication. That will do me.

I'd have been surprised if Huddersfield were one of the contenders for promotion at the start of the season as I do think they need better attacking players, defensively I get the impression they're alright for the Championship at least.

Well, that's how the market is nowadays that players like Maguire are expensive. Particularly if they're British LOL. I have heard today that you're apparently stepping up your pursuit of Eriksen from Spurs as well.

The EFL Cup starts tonight with Portsmouth hosting Birmingham in the first round of it tonight. Man Utd's U21s play in the EFL trophy tonight as well, and of course there're some European qualifiers tonight so a decent night of football tonight.

And before I forget what do people make of Wayne Rooney joining Derby as a player-coach? Considering it's the Championship I think he should do ok in that league even though he's clearly past his prime it could be a good signing for Derby County.

I'm watching the Portsmouth-Birmingham City League Cup game right now. It's goalless so far but lively enough.

It's funny, I never saw Rooney as the coaching type. I suspect that homesickness is partly the cause of him returning to the UK. He'll not be back until the end of the year which means he'll see out the rest of this MLS season.

Swansea got a win on Saturday, so couldn't ask for a better start to the season. (Cardiff lost too, which is always nice lol). We've signed 2 strikers on loan. One from Bournemouth and one from Basel. No chance of our owners spending any of the McBurnie money.

I'm quite pleased Rooney has left DC United so Swansea don't have to pay his wages anymore (Same owners)

I don't see Rooney has a coach either. He's hardly the model professional and he just doesn't seem the type to be any good at man management. Time will tell. He could prove me wrong.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"