Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Mourinho's track record as a manager also hardly inspires confidence if Spurs are hoping that he will lead the club for the long haul. His success rate as a manager is undeniable but his various appointments have all seemed to follow the same pattern. He initially brings success and silverware but then seems to attract more and more negativity as time passes until he ultimately outstays his welcome and gets sacked. Both times at the small London outfit, Internazionale, Real Madrid and obviously United. It seems to be the same story with him each time. If I was a club owner or director that was looking to make a long term appointment for my club I'd have serious reservations about the guy. His managerial stints don't tend to last long.
    Yeah Mourinho has always been about short term gain. I don't think he plans past 3 years at a club. Spend loads, get some instance success, forget the youth, wind people up, leave, repeat somewhere else.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Oh, for heavens sake! Now these delusional morons are even attempting to infect the beautiful game:

Warning - Only watch if you are wearing a set of oven gloves as you WILL facepalm excessively. Flat Earthers really are the worst.
    Man, Copa90 has been flailing since poet and Vuj left.

So, Pochettino out at Spurs and Mourinho in, of all people.

Quite big news that.
    A friend at work gave me this news. I believe I just stared at him slack-jawed for a minute before he finally said "Yeah, that's what I did".

The only positive i see from this is that Mourinho will pay attention to the less prestigious cups.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Man, Copa90 has been flailing since poet and Vuj left.
    Apart from his affection for Liverpool, I liked Vuj and thought that he contributed some great content for Copa 90. Derby Days has been a great series too. They've actually just posted a new episode centring on the South Coast Derby (Pompey-Saints) and I'd recommend it.

I always liked the Copa 90 channels overall. They viewed the worldwide club football scene in a similar lens that I do. I love the idea of club football being this passion right round the world with it's different colours and customs.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Wow, so it appears that the Copa Libertadores final that I mentioned in a previous post is being televised in the UK by no less than BBC2!

For anyone interested and with access to the BBC's services it's on tomorrow night at 8pm. It's the South American equivalent of the Champions League and will be contested by River Plate of Buenos Aires, the current holders of the trophy, and Rio's Flamengo, runaway leaders of the Brasileiro championship and having one of their best seasons in recent memory.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Apart from his affection for Liverpool, I liked Vuj and thought that he contributed some great content for Copa 90. Derby Days has been a great series too. They've actually just posted a new episode centring on the South Coast Derby (Pompey-Saints) and I'd recommend it.

I always liked the Copa 90 channels overall. They viewed the worldwide club football scene in a similar lens that I do. I love the idea of club football being this passion right round the world with it's different colours and customs.
    Yeah, Eli's Derby Days series is great. Timbsy does some good stuff. I've liked the That's the Tea podcast and the overall focus on the Women's game. But the loss of Copa90 US still bugs me, and the loss of Poet and Vuj has really hurt them.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    A friend at work gave me this news. I believe I just stared at him slack-jawed for a minute before he finally said "Yeah, that's what I did".

The only positive i see from this is that Mourinho will pay attention to the less prestigious cups.
    Here in the colonies, I’m watching Jose’s new club playing West Ham on NBCSN.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well, that was just madness.

Flamengo 2-1 River Plate.

Shades of the 1999 Champions League Final. Flamengo were very much second best throughout most of this match. River looked better in every department. They took the lead in the first half and controlled the game well up until the 89th minute. Then crash, bang, wallop twice within the space of a couple of minutes and the trophy is on it's way back to Brazil. Utter pandemonium.

Talk about pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute. Flamengo were nothing like the team that's taken the Brasileiro by storm this season (it's only a matter of time until they win that too). They looked lethargic and then boom! Inecredible.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Not even 24 hours after that insane final 10 minutes and outcome to the Copa Libertadores final, another major trophy lands in the lap of Flamengo.

The only club that could possibly catch Flamengo in this years Brazilian Championship were Palmeiras. As the Flamengo team were arriving back to a hero's reception and street parties across Rio, Palmeiras were getting beaten 1-2 at home to Gremio. That result handed the league title to the Carioca club.

Two major trophies won within the space of 24 hours. Has that ever happened before?
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

It’s good to be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. On Wednesday, he beat Jose Mourihno whom he replaced at Man U, then yesterday, the Devils topped Pep and Man City. Not bad, not bad at all.

It was a good result last weekend but a bit of a double edged sword really. It's always good to beat city but that result does Liverpool an enormous favour. If I'm given a metaphorical choice between city and the Scousers winning the League title then city win hands down. I'm nowhere near as concerned with the bluenoses as I am with Liverpool, my least favourite football club by a mile. Helping them in their quest for that elusive first Premier League title isn't a nice feeling. To be fair though, that was very much at the back of my mind as the final whistle blew on Sunday evening.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I know Liverpool is currently topping the table by a mile, but then, that was the case last season before City went on a rampage to overtake the Reds and win it all. Who knows if history will repeat itself this season.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

American soccer is a confusing, disorganized beast. MLS is going to announce Charlotte as the 30th team this Tuesday, which I don't get given that in the USL Championship, the Charlotte Independence are the worst team in attendance as far as teams that aren't what I call "true reserve teams" (as in teams that aren't clearly reserve teams for MLS clubs, at which case people legit do not give a crap, as is the case elsewhere around the world, even in the United Kingdom), and as far as I know, the market in Charlotte seems to be limited in who they want to follow, where the spring and summer clearly is dominated by the Charlotte Knights baseball team, and the fall is dominated by the Carolina Panthers. This isn't new; before the Independence came along, the Charlotte Eagles were the primary team in the market since the early 90s and were part of the USL Championship's ancestor, the A-League, and they largely played in high schools with a limited influence in the marketplace (the Eagles still are around, but they went down to USL League Two). For comparison, up the road in Raleigh, the Carolina Railhawks/North Carolina FC have managed a more sustainable following in a place that only has NC State athletics, the Carolina Hurricanes, and since I threw in the Charlotte Knights, the Durham Bulls. Also, they trademarked a bunch of names, and all of them are lame with "FC" affixed to them.

Meantime, Miami FC is joining the USL Championship, whose owner had joined a lawsuit against said league (technically US Soccer) years ago back when the NASL was still around, and the lawsuit is still standing. A few months ago, Miami FC was to be part of the NISA, an "independent" soccer federation and had competed in the NPSL's Founders Cup this fall, both of which stride themselves on being amateur circuits, and was sort of a conditional part of the lawsuit on their part. More than likely, USL Championship wanted a team in Miami more than anything else, but everything is pretty nasty all around.

Here's a pretty good video about the sad fate that befell Bury FC earlier this year, an event that will still be hurting the people of Bury:

This was a topic that was discussed on this thread a few pages back so I thought I'd throw some attention to this video. To anyone feeling bad after losing a game or seeing their team go thorough a rough patch, a good idea might be to watch this and look at things in perspective.

On a personal note, I live about 10 miles north of Bury and have attended several matches at Gigg Lane down the years. I'm very familiar with the locations seen here. There are a few shots in the film of a pub. Well, that's Bury FC's social club situated nearby which I've been in for a few pints a number of times down the years. Hopefully it can keep in business. Looking forward to seeing Bury FC back in the English football pyramid from next season onwards.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

A request to the Mods.

A new soccer related thread has been created. I was wondering if you could combine these two threads as it's high time the topic was returned to this board.

Thank you.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 04-29-2020 at 03:41 AM.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!