Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

An interesting topic would obviously be the resolution of the current season. How best to resolve the final standings, champions and relegation/promotion issues?

Although it pains me to say it, Liverpool were obviously cantering to the title and would have been declared champions by now had coronavirus not intervened. If John Ossie reads this, as a Liverpool fan what do you feel is the best solution? Then of course there are the relegation/promotion standings? Do we just play through the summer? Cut down the number of games next season?
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    An interesting topic would obviously be the resolution of the current season. How best to resolve the final standings, champions and relegation/promotion issues?

Although it pains me to say it, Liverpool were obviously cantering to the title and would have been declared champions by now had coronavirus not intervened. If John Ossie reads this, as a Liverpool fan what do you feel is the best solution? Then of course there are the relegation/promotion standings? Do we just play through the summer? Cut down the number of games next season?
    I think Liverpool should win the league. They are so far ahead and I think they would have won it.

The rest is hard...

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I think Liverpool should win the league. They are so far ahead and I think they would have won it.

The rest is hard...
    Exactly. We can't just freeze the league's current standings. Whilst it would be fair in Liverpool's case it wouldn't be for the bottom six clubs. This will take some working out.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I think they have to finish the season, even if it's behind closed doors. There are roughly 10 games left in the top 4 divisions, so the remaining games could be played at a couple of games a week through July and August. Delay the start of next season until say, end of September/October? Do away with something like the League Cup for next season to ease fixture congestion.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I think they have to finish the season, even if it's behind closed doors. There are roughly 10 games left in the top 4 divisions, so the remaining games could be played at a couple of games a week through July and August. Delay the start of next season until say, end of September/October? Do away with something like the League Cup for next season to ease fixture congestion.
    Yeah, I think we can kiss the League Cup goodbye next season, assuming there is one. It's an obvious way to alleviate fixture congestion. Not sure how that would go down with it's sponsors though.

How were our respective clubs performing prior to the cessation of games? With United it seemed to be two steps forwared, one step back. I liked the additions of Ighalo and Fernandes though.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Mighty Member

I think Liverpool should win the title to, they are so far ahead of everyone else that it is hard to imagine that they would not have one the title if COVID 19 didn't happen.

As for the season, I'm torn. On the one side I understand the argument that teams playing soccer against one another doesn't model good social distancing. If everyone in our society could be trusted to behave responsibly than it would be a non issue, unfortunately that is not the case, even amongst certain football players.

On the other hand, (where I live at least) there is absolutely nothing to do or look forward to in lockdown. Finishing the season would give people something in life to be excited about, so I would like to see them finish the season in June, I don't think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I think Liverpool should win the title to, they are so far ahead of everyone else that it is hard to imagine that they would not have one the title if COVID 19 didn't happen.

As for the season, I'm torn. On the one side I understand the argument that teams playing soccer against one another doesn't model good social distancing. If everyone in our society could be trusted to behave responsibly than it would be a non issue, unfortunately that is not the case, even amongst certain football players.

On the other hand, (where I live at least) there is absolutely nothing to do or look forward to in lockdown. Finishing the season would give people something in life to be excited about, so I would like to see them finish the season in June, I don't think it will happen.
    It's likely that we'll get a number of games played behind closed doors. Personally, I hate that. A football match is nothing without a crowd or an atmosphere.

Unfortunately though, needs must in these unprecedented times.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Mighty Member

It's likely that we'll get a number of games played behind closed doors. Personally, I hate that. A football match is nothing without a crowd or an atmosphere.

I hope so, people need something to uplift their spirits during lockdown. As long as they ensure the saftey of the players and their family, I hope we get to some games soon.

Extraordinary Member

I'm interested to see how they will approach the contracts.

I hate it as well. Always looks weird on TV watching a competitive match with no one in the crowd, but if it means the league gets finished relatively fairly, it'll be worth it. With the champions league spots, relegation and all of the promotions, play offs and relegations of the other 3 divisions, I'll be gutted if they just cancel the season and make it null and void. That's coming from a Swansea fan and we were most likely going to finish in mid table anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference to my team.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I'm interested to see how they will approach the contracts.
    Yeah, that will be interesting. The official Premier League plan to resume play is being called Project: Restart and it's plagued with certain issues.

Even if games are played behind closed doors a major problem will be stopping fans congregating elsewhere. When Liverpool inevitably win the League (urgh) it will be difficult to stop fans, especially younger fans, from celebrating en-masse outside the den of iniquity they call Anfield. It's not just Liverpool. If, say, Aston Villa escape relegation then you'll have a similar problem, even with all the pubs shut. That will need containing for a start.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I hate it as well. Always looks weird on TV watching a competitive match with no one in the crowd, but if it means the league gets finished relatively fairly, it'll be worth it. With the champions league spots, relegation and all of the promotions, play offs and relegations of the other 3 divisions, I'll be gutted if they just cancel the season and make it null and void. That's coming from a Swansea fan and we were most likely going to finish in mid table anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference to my team.
    Oh, if they did just cancel the current season, even though I'd personally, never, EVER stop laughing at Liverpool's misfortune, they'd lose all credibility. Had the season been two weeks old or similar then fair enough but 29 weeks is something else. So despite an imminent summer and autumn of returning to the dark days of the 80's and crowing Scousers looming, I just wouldn't be able to support that. Hey look at that, support, I can type it again.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

One thing I'm mostly gutted about is that the Euros won't be going ahead this summer, especially seeing as Wales qualified. That could be affected next year as well if the domestic seasons are delayed and finish later.

Extraordinary Member

One thing I'm mostly gutted about is that the Euros won't be going ahead this summer, especially seeing as Wales qualified. That could be affected next year as well if the domestic seasons are delayed and finish later.
    I was really looking forward to the festivities when it came to England, but, I guess it is for the best.

And as cliched as it is to say, but, I really think England would have done well this year.

I guess the silver lining to this is that the Euros have only been delayed, not outright cancelled. They are currently scheduled for Summer 2021 and will certainly take part at some stage. It's too big a part of the football calendar not to.

So, Wales will get their day in the sun, just a lot later than originally planned. Euro 2020 was planned to be hosted by many countries as a kind of anniversary celebration. We'll see if that stays the same depending on how societies handle social distancing restrictions in the long term.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!