Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Over 7 years of Glazer rule under Woodward, so I was thinking how does United current starting 11 compare to Manchester United greats since the beginning of the premier league.

Goal Keeper - Peter Schmeichel vs David De Gea

David De Gea is a good goalkeeper, in fact I would put him as United third best just behind Van De Sar, but let's face it, he's no Schmeichel, but that is not a bad thing, Schmiechel is probably the best goalkeeper the Premier league has ever had.

Center Backs - Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidić vs Harry Maguire and Victor Lindeloff

Thought I'd choose two center back pairings for this one....and yes, let's move on shall we.

Left Back - Denis Irwin vs Luke Shaw

Luke Shaw is good, but he's to injury prone, and most likely won't have the longevity as Irwin

Right Back - Gary Neville vs Aaron Wan Bissaca

Wan Bissaca is good, but Neville is a pure legend, one of the best right backs the premier league has had.

Center Defensive Midfielder - Roy Keane vs Fred

Err...lets move on shall we.

Box to box midfielder - Paul Scholes vs Paul Pogba

The tale of two Paul's. Paul Scholes is a legend, again one of the best midfielders the premier league has seen. Scholes could carry a team, Pogba simply cannot. Like Scholes Pogba is naturally gifted and a phenomenal talent, unfortunately the work ethic, (either that or his speed) doesn't seem to be able to cut in the premier league...time to go.

Attacking Midfielder/Right wing - David Beckham vs Bruno Fernandez

Teams of course play different formations over the years, (Beckham played off the right) so now it gets tricky to pick which player with which. Bruno Fernandez is amazing, but I still think Beckham had a little more talent.

Left Wing - Cristiano Ronaldo vs Marcus Rashford

Rashford is a good player, but cmon...Christiano Ronoldo is the greatest football player of all time! Better than Maradona, Pele, and yes, better than Lionel Messi.

Center Forward - Wayne Rooney vs Anthony Martial

Let's move on shall we.

Center Forward - Eric Cantona vs Mason Greenwood

Mason Greenwood is an excellent top prospect and will develop into a great number 9 overtime, but Cantona is an absolute legend, all hail the king!

The final verdict, Alex Ferguson 11 Ed Woodward and the Glazers 0, of course not entirely fair, but outside of Lukaku and maybe Herrera, offhand, I can't really think of anyone the Glazer's have signed that would be in that list.

I think one of the most worrying aspects for United is the wage levels their players are on, and they are now following a pattern of recruiting a top player past their prime on phenomenal wages to act as an example to their other players.

Cavani is the latest example: many papers effectively argue that he’s a worthwhile recruit because he works hard in training as well as on the pitch. My mates who are Liverpool fans fall about laughing at idea that United players are now too thick to realise you need to work hard to win matches without the benefit of a veteran outsider.

Joking aside..it’s not that United are failing to spend money...it’s just that their recruitment team are not as successful at identifying and persuading the right players to join the club.

An example is Man U identified they needed a fast skilled winger in last transfer window and became obsessed with Jadon Sancho...and failed to acquire him in spite of offering enormous transfer fee and wages.

When Liverpool were in same position three years ago they had a list of targets...the guy they recruited (Mo Salah!) was actually number 3 on the list, but the club was confident their recruitment team was so competent that all on the list could do the job...and the management could improve players recruited.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-09-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think one of the most worrying aspects for United is the wage levels their players are on, and they are now following a pattern of recruiting a top player past their prime on phenomenal wages to act as an example to their other players.

Cavani is the latest example: many papers effectively argue that he’s a worthwhile recruit because he works hard in training as well as on the pitch. My mates who are Liverpool fans fall about laughing at idea that United players are now too thick to realise you need to work hard to win matches without the benefit of a veteran outsider.

Joking aside..it’s not that United are failing to spend money...it’s just that their recruitment team are not as successful at identifying and persuading the right players to join the club.

An example is Man U identified they needed a fast skilled winger in last transfer window and became obsessed with Jadon Sancho...and failed to acquire him in spite of offering enormous transfer fee and wages.

When Liverpool were in same position three years ago they had a list of targets...the guy they recruited (Mo Salah!) was actually number 3 on the list, but the club was confident their recruitment team was so competent that all on the list could do the job...and the management could improve players recruited.
    Everything you stated is on the money.

Here's an article that explains why Manchester United is not doing well...and unfortunately why things won't change if they get a sporting director....in short, I feel that Manchester United is going to continue to sink unless the Glazer's sell. (not sure of the quality of this source but it seems legit)

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/11...o-fill-220016/

There has been much confusion among fans and the media for some time as to why a big club such as United does not have a director of football, sporting director or technical director....Laurie Whitwell this morning has published a new report claiming that the powers-that-be at the club are aware they need somebody in that role, but have been unable to find somebody who would be prepared to take it because of the limited authority they would be given.

But it is felt the Glazer family’s fundamental control of finances waters down the prospective position. ‘”If somebody comes in at an elite level they don’t want to be a nodding donkey, they want to be able to do the job properly,”’ a source told the reporter.
    ‘”A strong individual of the profile United should in theory be looking for would create a culture of confrontation.

The role would, in reality, be that of a messenger between the finance and football departments.

‘The decision is down to [executive vice chairman Ed] Woodward.’

Whitwell reports that the lack of this expertise within the club and Woodward and majority shareholder Joel Glazer’s need to micro-manage everything has led to problems both in buying and selling players.
    In short, what this says to me is that nothing will change with a sporting director because Woodward and Joel Glazer will still be in charge....

and unfortunately they don't seem to be willing give the sporting director an annual budget from the get go, like other clubs.

Players are figuring out that Manchester United is not the club it once was under Glazer rule. Paul Pogba wants out, I worry that Bruno Fernandez and Marcus Rashford will be next, and that world class players will no longer want to come to Man U...the jig is up.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Everything you stated is on the money.

Here's an article that explains why Manchester United is not doing well...and unfortunately why things won't change if they get a sporting director....in short, I feel that Manchester United is going to continue to sink unless the Glazer's sell. (not sure of the quality of this source but it seems legit)

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/11...o-fill-220016/

In short, what this says to me is that nothing will change with a sporting director because Woodward and Joel Glazer will still be in charge....

and unfortunately they don't seem to be willing give the sporting director an annual budget from the get go, like other clubs.

Players are figuring out that Manchester United is not the club it once was under Glazer rule. Paul Pogba wants out, I worry that Bruno Fernandez and Marcus Rashford will be next, and that world class players will no longer want to come to Man U...the jig is up.

Certainly a change of owners would help...

But deep down I’m pretty sure United will come back at some point...these things go in cycles...in my far distant youth they were actually relegated, and had to come back from that.

Mighty Member

0 -0 for the Manchester Derby. A 3 billion dollar club owner ,vs a 23 billion club owner....I'll take the draw.

Note, good to have Luke Shaw back, he played superb defensively on left back.

In defense of Paul Pogba:

I've been very critical of Pogba because I think he's a defensive liability, but I'm not angry about Mino Railo's comments:

1) After coming in third last season, Pogba considered staying (not just because of covid) but because it looked like United were going to continue to build towards being a top club...what happened, Chelsea went out and bought 3 potentially world class players, and 3 more very good players....and United couldn't get there one big transfer over the line....does that sound like a club that is going to resume it's legendary status soon???

2) Mino Railo's right, Paul can't express himself because he's surrounded by largely middle of the road players, in the box to box midfielder and defense.

Pogba is an immensely gifted long rang passer, but he's not the total package. He doesn't have a driving work ethic, great pace on the ball, nor does he possess natural leadership skills. He's not individually talented enough to raise players around him to the next level, he's not Paul Scholes, he's a luxury player, who becomes a great player when he's surrounded by world class talent.

United should have been on top of scouting this out, before breaking an over $100 million dollar transfer to bring him back from Juventus.

Mino Railo is Mino Railo, he is as Alex Ferguson once quoted...a $hit bag, but unfortunately, if Oli still wants Erling Halaand,they are going to have to do business with Ralio, the problem is that Manchester City wants Halaand to, and I'm sure that's where both he, and Paul Pogba, would rather be playing.

Mino Railo is Mino Railo, he is as Alex Ferguson once quoted...a $hit bag, but unfortunately, if Oli still wants Erling Halaand,they are going to have to do business with Ralio, the problem is that Manchester City wants Halaand to, and I'm sure that's where both he, and Paul Pogba, would rather be playing.
    Obviously, Mini Railo is Paul Pogba’s “mouthpiece”...an agent doesn’t continually say his client wants out without the clients okay. I suspect behind the scenes Man U are taking the line “get us enough money for Paul and he can go”.

What “enough” is in today’s crazy market is, I have no idea....but suspect Man U would listen to any bid that got back what they paid for him, and might accept less...because think nearly everyone agrees with your analysis that he’s not the player Man U need in their present circumstances.

But few clubs have that sort of money.

Let me put this question to you: if you were Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern....would you really be seeking to sigh Paul Pogba rather than Bruno Fernandes?
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-12-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Mighty Member

With the exception of Bayern who has Muller....short answer, no.

Manchester United were lucky to get Fernandes. I think Pogba is going to be part of a swap deal but my fear is this...

I've noticed Mino Railo likes to do business with a few rich clubs, because he gets a big payout on the contract signing, and he seems to slight clubs that don't seem to be able to step up to financial superteam status, not just United, but Barcelona as well.
    Juventus seems to be Ralio's target for Pogba, and the only player I want from Juventus in a swap is De Ligt. (Railo is his agent, and I don't think he will send another player Manchester United's way), so...

I will be mortified if United swap Pogba for Dybala or possibly even Ronaldo, because a 35 year old Ronaldo is not building for the future.
    Dybala is 27, and has never played in the premier league...could turn out to be another Sanchez waiting to happen. De Light is 21, and is projected to become one of the best center backs in the world...that is building for the future.

With the exception of Bayern who has Muller....short answer, no.

Manchester United were lucky to get Fernandes. I think Pogba is going to be part of a swap deal but my fear is this...

I've noticed Mino Railo likes to do business with a few rich clubs, because he gets a big payout on the contract signing, and he seems to slight clubs that don't seem to be able to step up to financial superteam status, not just United, but Barcelona as well.
    Juventus seems to be Ralio's target for Pogba, and the only player I want from Juventus in a swap is De Ligt. (Railo is his agent, and I don't think he will send another player Manchester United's way), so...

I will be mortified if United swap Pogba for Dybala or possibly even Ronaldo, because a 35 year old Ronaldo is not building for the future.
    Dybala is 27, and has never played in the premier league...could turn out to be another Sanchez waiting to happen. De Light is 21, and is projected to become one of the best center backs in the world...that is building for the future.
    Agree with you that Juventus would be most likely destination...he played really well,for them before, of course. But they are masters of getting top players near the end of their contracts from other clubs at comparatively low prices.

Agree De Light would be incredible swap. There would even be a case of United paying some money on top. It’s not about which is the better player, but who is the better fit for the clubs needs. De Ligt would strengthen the team.

I tend to rule out other Premiership clubs because I imagine United would prefer not to sell to a direct rival. I’d also tend to rule out those clubs that tend to have the old style ethos that United used to have (does not matter how skilled you are, work hard, and put the team first), so I suspect Bayern won’t be interested. My runner-up possibility to Juventus would be PSG.

Mighty Member

Tottenham highlights for those who can access the video...I didn't watch the game, two incredibly defensive teams, love what Mourinho is doing for Tottenham...but I miss Pochettino's attacking style.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    . My runner-up possibility to Juventus would be PSG.
    I gander your right. I would love De Light, as you say, that would be an incredible swap.

The media's speculation of swapping Pogba for Dybala though...while Man City goes out and acquires Haaland... not big on that at all, hope it doesn't happen.

Extraordinary Member

I miss attacking football at Spurs, but, I don't mind pragmatism.

Extraordinary Member

Liverpool Spurs tonight....

Intermediary

suck it Mourinho

Liverpool winning is always good, but sticking it to "the special one" is always a fun time

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I miss attacking football at Spurs, but, I don't mind pragmatism.
    I understand that. Better to win more games with a less flashy style.

Mourhino can form a winning team on a budget suitable for Tottenham, Pochettino's style requires a little more investment.

Mighty Member

Highlights for anyone who can see them outside Canada.

Well this game confirmed one thing for me...Liverpool are the kings.

I don't think Tottenham can win by sitting back and counter attacking, via trying to thread through long balls. At least not with Liverpool.

The loss of Christian Erikson is becoming more and more apparent. Tottenham need a quality play maker to open things up for Kane and Song.
    Next to De Bruyne and maybe Fernandez he would be the 2nd to 3rd best AMF in the premier league right now if he chose to come back to the league.

Tottenham has been my back up team since Pochettino, but...I don't see them taking top spot this year.

Extraordinary Member

We really needed Bergwin to finish last night. Missed so many good chances.