Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I've just seen the Huddersfield-Fulham goals on Sky Sports News. I think that Huddersfield are gonna ship a lot of goals this season. They have a very soft underbelly.

The game was also 'graced' by some utterly pathetic play-acting from the Fulham forward Mitrovic. He took a very slight knock on the face from a Town player near the corner flag and reacted like someone had broken his nose. Football players really are tossers sometimes.
    Just seen it on Quest.

How pathetic of him.

Another good win for the Swans yesterday. Unbeaten so far and looking good. We've only lost 1 game at home in 2019 and that was Man City in the cup, which was a game we shouldn't have lost due to the bad referee decisions. VAR would've had us win that game.

Stafford Rangers lost 2-1 away at Lancaster, which was their first game of the season. Bit disappointing but plenty of games left. I'm planning on going to Stafford Rangers v Matlock Town this coming Saturday.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Mad result from Argentina this weekend. Racing Club de Avellaneda, the current Argentine champions and one of the biggest clubs in that football-mad country, were humiliated 1-6 at home by their fellow giants River Plate. Racing took the lead in the game but were then swept aside by River who could have scored a couple more.

We also had the odd spectacle of a Rio de Janeiro derby being played hundreds of miles away in Brasilia, the nation's capital. Several of the stadiums built for the last World Cup have since become giant 'white elephants' for their respective cities. With this in mind, certain big club games during the season are moved to Brasilia to ensure that the National Stadium there actually gets some usage. The game was Vasco De Gama 1-4 Flamengo. Vasco were nominally the 'home' side but the huge crowd there was composed predominantly of Flamengo supporters, Flamengo easily being the biggest club in Brazil. If you didn't know better you'd swear that the game was actually taking place in Rio.

I've endured the first crappy, goalless draws of the season this weekend. Both Borussia Monchengladbach vs. Schalke and Reims vs. Strasbourg couldn't muster a goal between them.

I was only half watching the German game though. It was on in the background so to speak.

Extraordinary Member

Big up to Sheffield!

Yup, I've jinxed them. Oops. This weekend:

Cruzeiro 2-0 Santos

Troubling news from Honduras of all places. A local derby there last weekend between Olimpia and Motagua in the city of Tegucigalpa got out of control and a riot ensued. Three dead. Blimey.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49386645

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'll be cheering on Wolves tonight to avoid defeat against United. Not only because they're playing United but to keep Liverpool on top of the league as well (early days I know but it's always nice to see your team of the league). Also, turned out I needed have worried too much as Liverpool beat Southampton 2-1 with Mane getting his third in two games and Firmino opening his account for the season. And if Adrian needed a ''bump back to earth'' moment than he got it when he cocked up for Danny Ings' consolation goal. Still, 2-1 win and currently top of the league as a result so I'm happy. Particularly since Spurs did Liverpool a favour by holding City to a 2-2 draw.

Good weekend for you Fluffy with Cardiff getting beat 3-0 yesterday as well. A Swansea win as a nice bonus. Hell, Borja is starting to score for you at long last LOL.

Did get to Prenton Park to see Tranmere play. This time as a paying customer since it's cheap enough for me to see, plus Len's Brother couldn't make the match LOL. So I was sitting there trying to listen to Liverpool's match on the radio as well as watching Tranmere's 5-0 win over Bolton LOL.

I say delighted as I've got a problem with Barca at the moment. I just can't forgive them for losing a certain semi-final from a three goal lead last season. Unprofessional tossers.
    I think they're extremely professional

I never like to hear about football managers getting sacked but it's on the news right now that Huddersfield Town have parted ways with Head Coach Jan Siewert after tonight's defeat.

To be honest that's not really a surprise though, given their start. They've looked really poor under him.
    Yeah, can't say it surprises me either. They've never clicked under him even during the ''honeymoon'' phase that all managers are supposed to go through.

Troubling news from Honduras of all places. A local derby there last weekend between Olimpia and Motagua in the city of Tegucigalpa got out of control and a riot ensued. Three dead. Blimey.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49386645
    That is troubling news. A colleague of mine comes from that area of Honduras himself. Thankfully for him he didn't know anyone that was hurt or died there.

Wolves 1-1 United

Only a draw but United really didn't play badly at all tonight. Just a couple of gripes. Their football seemed to get a bit desperate after Wolves equalised. If United's players had kept their focus better they may well have crafted a winner. And I can't muster any affection for Paul Pogba whatsoever. He seems to play according to his own reputation before anything else. I can't get behind players like that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I think they're extremely professional .
    Aye, I bet you did .

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Comeback of last night has to be Coventry's at Portsmouth. Already 3-1 down they then had 2 men sent off and they still managed to get a 3-3 draw, imagine if they'd had all their players on? Len was gutted with last night's 2-0 loss for his Tranmere side at Bristol Rovers.

Obviously I'm chuffed with Wolves getting a point against United, would've been happier had they won but I'll take it LOL. As it means Liverpool go into this weekend's fixtures top of the table, however long it lasts it's nice to see.

Another good win for Swansea last night. Joint top of the league is good going so far. I'm not expecting it last all season but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Oli McBurnie was also in the away end last night, in amongst the Swansea fans. Fair play to him.

Also some sad news in the world of football today...

Former Ghana, Nottingham Forest and Bristol Rovers striker Junior Agogo has died at the age of 40.

Agogo, who began his career at Sheffield Wednesday, played 27 times for his country and scored 12 goals.

He finished his career at Hibernian in 2012 having also had spells in the United States, Cyprus and Egypt.

RIP Junior Agogo.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Also some sad news in the world of football today...

Former Ghana, Nottingham Forest and Bristol Rovers striker Junior Agogo has died at the age of 40.

Agogo, who began his career at Sheffield Wednesday, played 27 times for his country and scored 12 goals.

He finished his career at Hibernian in 2012 having also had spells in the United States, Cyprus and Egypt.

RIP Junior Agogo.
    That's awful news. 40 is no age as they say. RIP Junior Agogo.

Today is one of the most important days in the entire history of Bury FC. I'm sure that anyone with an interest in football has been following this story so I don't need to go into too much detail about it. Suffice to say that I hope that I'm next on here talking about either a reprieve or a takeover. The stumbling block here is undoubtedly the Bury chairman Steve Dale and his greed.

I've been to Gigg Lane quite a few times down the years. A longstanding problem with the club is an ongoing lack of support. Their crowds have been poor since the 1970's. It's difficult for them with both United and the other mob just down the road.

May we live in interesting times.

To follow on from yesterday, it looks like the short term future of Bury FC is secure. There have been reports of a takeover and the club are still in the EFL as of this morning. Details are still vague though.

I hope that Steve Dale didn't cash in too much in this scenario. This is a guy that bought the club for a pound last December in a period where Bury were looking good bets for promotion, which of course they managed. It's pretty obvious that his intentions weren't holistic. He simply wanted to see the club get promoted, consolidate all it's debts by arranging them into a CVA, and then sell the club and make a big profit. He could have secured a sale for the club anytime during the summer period instead of holding out until the very last second and placing the clubs very existence under threat in the bargain. Please don't listen to his claims of always doing his best for the club. He had no interest in either Bury FC or the town itself. The EFL allowing his takeover in the first place should be looked into also.

It's still looking grim. The club has a 12 point deduction to overcome. Their first five league games have been postponed also. The situation is still a mess.

Extraordinary Member

Sheffield already proving a lot of doubters wrong.

Extraordinary Member

It looks like Poch is going to crack.