Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Marvel Comics With A Female Lead

The discussions on whether Marvel should do a film with a female lead got me thinking about the source material. I started wondering what the best Marvel comics with a female lead have been.

And I'm interested in your views on this. What are the best Marvel stories with a female lead?

For this discussion, I prefer stories to runs, as it gives a sense of what to sample. Mini-series, one-shots and stories in anthologies are fine, although I don't think solo stories in team books should count.

While the MCU got me thinking about this, X-Men and Spider-Man related projects are perfectly valid.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Uncanny, from #201 to Fall of the Mutants, was a giant and awesome story with Storm at the center and great roles for Rogue, Psylocke, and Dazzler. The Outback continued for much longer, of course.

Elektra: Assassin is a classic and Immonen's Journey Into Mystery is a recent and under-appreciated gem. Soule has been doing a great job on small stories that connect to something larger in She-Hulk.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 08-03-2014 at 08:14 PM.

BANNED

Spider-Girl (Mayday Parker) comes to mind for me. Even though she doesn't currently have a book of her own out now she did have a good run when she did have one.

Extraordinary Member

Fearless Defenders, hands down.

Naturally they cancelled it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

the current X-Men series
    Fearless Defenders
    the current She-Hulk series
    the current Black Widow series
    the current Ms Marvel series
    the current Captain Marvel series
    I surrender to the Contest

Extraordinary Member

The previous Ms Marvel series was doing well until Civil War came along and ruined it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Mostly X-verse, since it is the best place for strong females in leadership roles. So X-men, X-men: Legacy, Morrison's New X-men, Generation X, Kyle&Yost New X-men, Remender's Uncanny X-force... a long list.

For me right now it's a battle between she hulk and storm. I just love both characters so much, I couldn't possibly choose a favourite

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think solo stories in team books should count.
    I don't think Marvel's female characters can afford this distinction. The X-women, Monica Rambeau, and Sue Richards are their most recognizable and loved female characters, and their stories have reached more people in more adaptations and other forms of media than many of the others.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd also add Bendis/ Gaydos'a Alias (especially the final "Purple" storyline), Bendis/ Maleev's Spiderwoman, Slott's She-Hulk (The Trial of She-Hulk is probably my favorite story from the run) and that Spider-Girl issue where she fought her father possessed by the Venom symboote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't think Marvel's female characters can afford this distinction. The X-women, Monica Rambeau, and Sue Richards are their most recognizable and loved female characters, and their stories have reached more people in more adaptations and other forms of media than many of the others.
    I can appreciate that. But I'm interested in the source material producers have if they decide to make a film based on a Marvel comic with a female lead so that excludes books that don't have female lead where women are written well from the conversation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Alias.

One of few mainstream comic series with a beginning, middle, and end..though Jessica did, of course, go on to do other things.

Strong contender for best Marvel series in last 10 years, never mind best with a female lead.

I have been absolutely in love with DeConnick's Captain Marvel... particularly the first arc of the first volume. However, my bias is very, very strong.

On a less blatantly-biased note... Marjorie Liu's 'Name of the Rose' (Black Widow) has always been a real standout story arc in my mind. One of my all time favorites.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    For me right now it's a battle between she hulk and storm. I just love both characters so much, I couldn't possibly choose a favourite

I am saying it's a good idea because we did have Hulk vs Wolverine. So why don't we have Storm vs She-Hulk but I would want them to work together at the middle of the story until the end.

Well, given that nowdays im just actually reading like 3 book, my perception is kind-of limited, but i would say that the current ms. marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Marjorie Liu's 'Name of the Rose' (Black Widow) has always been a real standout story arc in my mind. One of my all time favorites.
    Agreed. I think that story, the Morgan stuff, and Deadly Origin are all good and recent arcs that could transition pretty easily into other media.