Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That may be true but if you notice, there is a rule against stake claiming. You can't start a review thread as a place holder for the future. You can only start a review thread on the day of the comics release.
    I don't make preview threads as a stake holder or with the intent for it to be a review thread.

If someone else wants to make the threads then I'm fine with that. If I come across the preview early, I'll post the link in the appreciation thread from now on instead if making a thread so it gives others a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    FML I forgot to pick this up. It was good? Rull rull good y'all? Gaaaaaahh.
    I liked it better than the first issue. She had someone to bounce off of with and it was really enjoyable.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I like having threads about the previews, often they generate some interesting discussion. And when I started posting about previews in the appreciation thread over in the Wonder Woman forum, Gaelforce broke them out into their own threads.

As for the issue itself, I wasn't that enthused about it. Part of it is the art, where part of it is that it's in a style I have a trouble appreciating, but also that De Iulis only seems to have a single face to use for women, which is a real problem when you have two leading women in the comic.

But I had problem both with the interaction between Natasha and Sue, and with the plotting. Natasha and Sue started out with a game of oneupmanship and dick measuring that felt strange—both should be too experienced for that, and I think it felt out of character for Sue. And the plotting with several sets of assassins and the poisoning in the drink contest all felt contrived.

I liked Sue's creative use of her powers, but half of the good with that disappears if it's done in contrived situations.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I like having threads about the previews, often they generate some interesting discussion. And when I started posting about previews in the appreciation thread over in the Wonder Woman forum, Gaelforce broke them out into their own threads.

As for the issue itself, I wasn't that enthused about it. Part of it is the art, where part of it is that it's in a style I have a trouble appreciating, but also that De Iulis only seems to have a single face to use for women, which is a real problem when you have two leading women in the comic.

But I had problem both with the interaction between Natasha and Sue, and with the plotting. Natasha and Sue started out with a game of oneupmanship and dick measuring that felt strange—both should be too experienced for that, and I think it felt out of character for Sue. And the plotting with several sets of assassins and the poisoning in the drink contest all felt contrived.

I liked Sue's creative use of her powers, but half of the good with that disappears if it's done in contrived situations.
    I felt it was natural for there to be some friction. Natasha views Sue as entering her "terf" and that Sue may not be suited for this kind of work. That view seemed to have changed as the story went on.

I agree about the overall plot, it's very cliche which is unfortunate. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that Aidan was behind the whole thing.
    I said it before, but even setting in space would be enough to make it feel fresh and different.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I felt it was natural for there to be some friction. Natasha views Sue as entering her "terf" and that Sue may not be suited for this kind of work. That view seemed to have changed as the story went on.
    Yeah, I can get why Waid wanted to show Natasha uncertain about Sue. This is more about the execution. Too much belligerence, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I agree about the overall plot, it's very cliche which is unfortunate. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that Aidan was behind the whole thing.
    I said it before, but even setting in space would be enough to make it feel fresh and different.
    Rescuing your old friend is old as dirt as plots go, so that's fine. And having Sue use her superpowers as an agent is certainly fun. So the plot itself is fine, it's the choices to get it moving that's the trouble. Why a drinking contest for crucial information, and what's in it for the creepy bar owner? And why the poison and the sudden backup of sword-wielding bruisers? And then the sniper with both a motorbike and a getaway driver, who has lots of crucial documents in their car?

That's C-film Hong Kong action, not a spy-focused story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Wrong thread.

Interesting that Sue made the liquid in the shot glass invisible, but the glasses themselves remained visible.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Interesting that Sue made the liquid in the shot glass invisible, but the glasses themselves remained visible.
    Her control is very precise. It's nice to see it more often than the usual force-field things.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

I think this is kind of lame. First of all, Black Widow would NEVER question Sue Richards. Ever. She's fought Galactus, Doom, Celestials, Abraxas, Thanos, Onslaught, the Beyonder. Legit universe threats. What has Wanda done?

Here is how that meetings goes.

Wanda: HOLY S@#T! I get to work with THE INVISIBLE WOMAN.

Plus Aidan is CLEARLY in love with her. He keeps bringing it up.

And not to be to out of line or gross. Right after that there is this....

INVISW2019002_Exclusive-6.jpg

Take a look at what that is. Right after some guy hits on her. What is Sue "protecting" there. Jeez. We haven't come that far I guess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    I think this is kind of lame. First of all, Black Widow would NEVER question Sue Richards. Ever. She's fought Galactus, Doom, Celestials, Abraxas, Thanos, Onslaught, the Beyonder. Legit universe threats. What has Wanda done?

Here is how that meetings goes.

Wanda: HOLY S@#T! I get to work with THE INVISIBLE WOMAN.

Plus Aidan is CLEARLY in love with her. He keeps bringing it up.

And not to be to out of line or gross. Right after that there is this....

INVISW2019002_Exclusive-6.jpg

Take a look at what that is. Right after some guy hits on her. What is Sue "protecting" there. Jeez. We haven't come that far I guess.
    do you mean natasha

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Natasha has fought some of those same threats -- she has done quite a bit herself, and has been the leader of the Avengers. Let's not sell her short here.

The important thing to remember here is that Black Widow is not questioning Sue's credentials as a super hero. She absolutely respects Sue's track record in that field. It is Sue's qualifications as a spy that Tasha is doubting. She looks at Sue and sees a superhero. Someone who is a great superhero does not automatically make a good spy. In fact, the two things can sometimes work against each other since many superheroes often operate from a moral code that isn't comfortable with some of the methods and perspectives of espionage agents.

Given that Sue is a member of one of the most "wholesome" of superhero teams, and many people tend to think of her primarily as a wife & mother, I can understand why the Widow does not immediately assume that Sue would be an espionage agent of anywhere near her level.

Mighty Member

It is kinda insane that someone in this year, doesn't know Black Widow's name given she's been in several of the biggest movies ever.

And Dermie puts it perfectly. Natasha isn't questioning Sue's ability as a Hero, she's questioning her ability as a spy.

It'd be like Nick Fury discovering that Peter Parker was a spy. I'm sure he'd ask the person who told him that if they were smoking crack or something, and that has nothing to do with Parker's ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    And Dermie puts it perfectly. Natasha isn't questioning Sue's ability as a Hero, she's questioning her ability as a spy.
    I'm not questioning Natasha questioning Sue's experience and instincts as a spy; I'm questioning the way that Waid has her express those questions, and even more Sue's reaction to the same.