Default Axis Amerika! - retconned post CoIE "Golden Age" villain team Appreciation 2021

First appearance = Young All-Stars #1 (June 1987)

with an image similar to the cover of All-Star Squadron #1 (September 1981):

And from Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 1 (August 1987),
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 08-02-2019 at 01:53 PM.

I want to see a modern version of Horned Owl and Fledermaus redeeming the names as heroes of Germany and possible members of either or both Batman, Inc and the Global Guardians. They could also be paired with Wild Huntsman, Karl Zorn and Black Hole as a German based hero team.

Astonishing Member

If the team hadn't been such a complete "Nazi counterparts of Earth-2 characters erased by Crisis" and used as a counterpart to the Young All-Stars who used the same concept (minus the Nazi), I think they might have worked better. As they stand the poor team is overshadowed by the poor reception YAS got as a title. If they'd been used earlier when the All-Squadron was at it's best, I suspect they'd be better remembered.

And 30+ years later I'm still wondering just how Hugo Danner connects to Ubermensch. I can take a pretty good guess that it was from some random encounter during Hugo's time in World War I, but I have to wonder if Roy Thomas didn't have some more interesting twist up his sleeve.

Extraordinary Member

They look actually more like the Nazi Counterparts for the JL.

Horned Owl and Fledermaus => Batman and Robin
    Usil => Green Arrow
    Gudra => Wonder Woman
    Übermensch => Superman
    Sea Wolf => Aquaman

Btw. they should really fix the spelling for "Großhorneule" and change Sea Wolf into "Seewolf".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Horned Owl and Fledermaus => Batman and Robin
    Usil => Green Arrow
    Gudra => Wonder Woman
    Übermensch => Superman
    Sea Wolf => Aquaman

Btw. they should really fix the spelling for "Großhorneule" and change Sea Wolf into "Seewolf".
    The team was Roy Thomas' way of replacing the Earth-2 versions of those characters after they were removed from use after Crisis. And each had a rough counterpart in Young All-Stars who also was a replacement for one of those 5 (6) characters.

Iron Munro + Ubermensch = Superman (Kal-L)
    Neptune Perkins (existing character) + Tsunami + Sea Wolf= Aquaman (little seen Earth 2 version)
    Fury I + Gurda = Original Wonder Woman
    Horned Owl/Fledermuas + Flying Fox = Batman & Robin
    Usil + Tigress (later villainess Huntress)= Green Arrow & Speedy

Boisterously Confused

If you grant GA's one appearance on the show, they're also Hitler's Superfriends.

Astonishing Member

I wish they hadn't killed Fledermaus. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    And the reason you might think that is because the Golden Age / Earth-2 versions of Batman and Robin, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Superman, and Aquaman were removed from continuity because of their more recent "Earth-1" counterparts that were still current in DC stories at the time of CoIE.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The team was Roy Thomas' way of replacing the Earth-2 versions of those characters after they were removed from use after Crisis. And each had a rough counterpart in Young All-Stars who also was a replacement for one of those 5 (6) characters.

Iron Munro + Ubermensch = Superman (Kal-L)
    Neptune Perkins (existing character) + Tsunami + Sea Wolf= Aquaman (little seen Earth 2 version)
    Fury I + Gurda = Original Wonder Woman
    Horned Owl/Fledermuas + Flying Fox = Batman & Robin
    Usil + Tigress (later villainess Huntress)= Green Arrow & Speedy
    What amuses me about Axis America is that it somewhat confirms my pet theory that the Earth-2 Speedy survived the CoIE.

Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, and Green Arrow all got Axis America "replacements" but not Speedy. He's alive, I tells ya!

from Who's Who Update '88 Vol. 1 (August 1988):