Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Would DC be better off if Disney owned it?

Usually the first response to these threads is "Never gonna happen. Warner would never let DC go." Yes. Thank You. More than likely correct, atleast for the foreseeable future. Never say Never.

Still, yes your right as of right now out of the cards.

HOWEVER, THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION THAT IS BEING ASKED.

The question is whether or not it would be better off?

Now the first negative, or atleast one you can see that way, is that now both big comic companies would be owned by one company. This could be a positive. You decide.

It's clear to me that up until BATMAN VS SUPERMAN was announced Warners attempt to play ball with Marvel in the movie verse was going nowhere. Green Lantern is a perfect example. That movie says to me that they were scared of what they had, while at the same time atleast trying to push back. Ended in utter failure. BVS so far seems to be Warner actually trying to just say screw it, lets go all in. Batman actually wearing his armor from the comic is a testement to this.

However would Disney do it better? They aren't scared of what they've got. They have a hit movie with a raccoon and a talking tree in it. They even have room for a Duck.

Sounds to me under Disney we'd get the Flash movie we wanted. The Green Lantern movie we wanted. The Wonder Women we want with her actually being a Amazon.

Would the comics be run better? Maybe the same since Disney doesn't usually interfere there.

Seems like a nice discussion I'd think.

Yes it will never happen. Thank you, to those who will repeat this anyway.

EDIT: Just to make clear. My vision is that DC would be it's own company like Marvel is. Marvel wouldn't be running the comics or anything.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 08-03-2014 at 07:07 PM.

IMO without a question Dc would be better off. I can't say for sure if the comics would be better off as I don't read any marvel titles, (nothing against marvel, just always have followed dc characters) so I have no idea if they're better off with Disney backing them.

As for the movies though I think there would be more diversity or chances taken. The most recent Dc movies have been good IMO like the latest batman movies and man of steel, so Dc isn't a sinking ship.

Disney doesn't make mistakes that often. I'm hoping that pattern holds true for Star Wars!
    Last edited by Agent 37; 08-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.

They probably would make better movies, but the comics wouldn't really improve in quality.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Spectacular Member

No offense meant to the original poster, but I'm getting tired of movie threads in the DC Comics and Marvel Comics sections.

I love the medium of comic books first and foremost. And this is the comics section.

I think topics like this, which are rooted to the Disney or Warner successes of comic characters in movies to me belong in the TV/Film section.

It sometimes feels like many fans here think it is the end-all-be-all to have a movie made of a comic. Like movies are a step above comics. Me? I love serialized graphic medium that gave us these rich characters , that movies can never hold a candle to.

Why isn't there a Hulk movie then? Why isn't there any plans for Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel?
    Please they only benefit from disney owning them is better funding other than that no thanks DC is already doing great in the tv aspect, i have faith that the movies will be just as great.

Also Disney cant own DC unless they're planning on selling Marvel monopolies are illegal in the us if disney owned but they would control the comic book market

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Why isn't there a Hulk movie then? Why isn't there any plans for Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel?
    Please they only benefit from disney owning them is better funding other than that no thanks DC is already doing great in the tv aspect, i have faith that the movies will be just as great.

Also Disney cant own DC unless they're planning on selling Marvel monopolies are illegal in the us if disney owned but they would control the comic book market
    You get the first Thank You for repeating the "Never gonna happen" Trope.

Free Candybar for you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    No offense meant to the original poster, but I'm getting tired of movie threads in the DC Comics and Marvel Comics sections.

I love the medium of comic books first and foremost. And this is the comics section.

I think topics like this, which are rooted to the Disney or Warner successes of comic characters in movies to me belong in the TV/Film section.

It sometimes feels like many fans here think it is the end-all-be-all to have a movie made of a comic. Like movies are a step above comics. Me? I love serialized graphic medium that gave us these rich characters , that movies can never hold a candle to.
    Well I must admit that I did talk a lot about the movie part of the ownership, however the comic portion is very much apart of the discussion as well.

Amazing Member

DC's film properties would definitely be better off with a different company. Warner Brothers is notorious for their neglect of franchises. Just look at Bugs Bunny, who used to be their big money maker and mascot....have you seen him in anything lately? WB also wants to take everything and shove Batman in it because to them Batman draws in the $$$$. The suits at WB aren't willing to take the risks that Disney has allowed Marvel to take....Look at the success of Guardians of the Galaxy who no one has ever heard of until recently.

The Man of Steel sequel was fast tracked, and then, once reviews went south and it took in less money than they predicted, suddenly WB panics and the sequel is now more about Batman than Superman. Look at the plethora of characters DC has to pull from, yet we continue to see the same ones over and over again. They could've given us Superman, a decent Green Lantern, a Flash movie, ect. and people would've loved it.

What really needs to happen is for DC to form their own creative studio like Marvel and hope it gets bought out by a big company. That company will never be Disney, because to own both companies would be a conflict of interest or something of that nature. I hope to see DC take that step one day and create their own cinematic universe. They don't have to do it the way Marvel is doing it, but they can forge their own path free from the constraints of WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    They probably would make better movies, but the comics wouldn't really improve in quality.
    Could DC get any worse in terms of comics?

Wonder Woman X Superman Diana X Kal's Avatar

No, DC belongs to DC and is perfect the way it is
    Wonder Woman <3

Quote Originally Posted by Diana X Kal View Post
    No, DC belongs to DC and is perfect the way it is
    DC doesn't own itself anymore. It's been part of Warner for years.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

I think the chance of getting better and more diverse movies that aren't batman or superman would be higher.
    In another universe disney bought DC and Warner bought Marvel lol

about comics maybe...at least a better marketing

No.

And I'll tell you why.

Because since Disney owns Marvel, first they would merge the two. Then, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman (because they are highly marketable) would be given their own comics and probably join the Avengers.
    But everything else from DC...? A one-way ticket to limbo-land.
    They would publish the bare minimum of comics to adhere to any agreements made in the contract and then we would never see 99.9% of the characters ever again.

Marvel/Disney has proven that they are not above buying out publishers to remove competition (Malibu, Crossgen). And that would be their goal in that situation.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I think in response to Marvel's new Star Wars comics, WB should have DC make 3 Tolkienverse comics! They have the film and video game rights, via Middle-earth Enterprises, so the comics would make sense too! I'd have it like this:

Legolas by Scott Snyder & Andy Kubert/Yanick Paquette

The Adventures of Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins by Brian Buccellato & Francis Manapul

The Kingdom of Rohan by Brian Azzarello & Dave Johnson/Chris Sprouse

Make it happen, WB/DC!
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I think in response to Marvel's new Star Wars comics, WB should have DC make 3 Tolkienverse comics! They have the film and video game rights, via Middle-earth Enterprises, so the comics would make sense too! I'd have it like this:

Legolas by Scott Snyder & Andy Kubert/Yanick Paquette

The Adventures of Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins by Brian Buccellato & Francis Manapul

The Kingdom of Rohan by Brian Azzarello & Dave Johnson/Chris Sprouse

Make it happen, WB/DC!
    Or even Harry Potter.
    That would definitely draw in the younger readers (and some adults).

I actually think DC would do a lot better if Viz owned it.
    Imagine how different the New52 would've been if they had brought someone from Viz in to plan it instead.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-03-2014 at 10:02 PM.