Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Recently I liked Cable from issue 155 to 159
    All of X-men Red
    All of X-men Blue
    Phoenix Resurrection
    Extermination
    and both Bendis books, All New X-men and Uncanny X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You have a Polaris avatar and you didn't read a book she was in?
    Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    Oh crap, now you've done it.

::runs away::
    *lassoes magnetic back into the thread, not bothering to look up if it's lassoes or lassos*

I won't go into a long explanation of my reasons. I'll summarize. What I've seen suggests Lorna was written well on Prisoner X, but in this case, I have issues with it that go beyond the writing itself. If those issues did not exist, I would have read it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Uncanny Avengers vol 2
    Uncanny Avengers vol 3
    This especially. The Apocalypse Twin arc was glorious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Is Bendis's run on x-men universally hated?
    I don't like or dislike Bendis's run. It was just a whole lot of nothing. Spring bordering off the status quo of AvX I expected something exciting for the X-Men his Uncanny X-Men just ran around in a circle until it just ended and his All New Xmen wasn't any better *shrug*

I am annoyed that he squandered a story set up that Hickman gave him with Nation X and the Phoenix egg only to deliver the ever forgettable Last Will of Xavier arc.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I don't like or dislike Bendis's run. It was just a whole lot of nothing. Spring bordering off the status quo of AvX I expected something exciting for the X-Men his Uncanny X-Men just ran around in a circle until it just ended and his All New Xmen wasn't any better *shrug*

I am annoyed that he squandered a story set up that Hickman gave him with Nation X and the Phoenix egg only to deliver the ever forgettable Last Will of Xavier arc.
    It's a whole nothing, but at least is fun

The second half/third of the decade was tough because of the Inhumans (who I was obsessed with as a kid in the 80's) were being pushed too hard, while the X-books were taking a backburner due to movie rights. Marvel definitely did their best to bring them back, or at least keeping the stories interesting, but there were a lot of lackluster tales. Don't get me wrong, go to the back issue boxes of your local comic store, or pick up a graphic novel from the last decade, you may find your next favorite story.

I mean, there were a lot of good X-comics that came out, but I am in the minority where I did not like the way Aaron, and later Bendis, wrote the characters. And I admit, I vote with my walllet, so I did not buy those, but would read them from friends or synopsis online (I never "steal"/download comics for free online, I love the genre too much).

Edit: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Well you can't do a wicdiv without breaking some eggs. Sure it is harder to do with a big property like x-men.
    what is the problem that Morrison can do what he wants but Gillen couldn't?
    The problem for me is the characterisation of Emma in his “plans”. There is always this instinct to keep her evil. It’s not something I think he would have actually followed through on. He’s a better writer than that. It’s the kind of thing that would start the conversation with an editor but not the final plot.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

Always remember Bendis was working to a much longer plan and was taken off of the book prematurely. It is hard to judge his story when it was cut so very short. He had plans to go very long, at least twice as long again.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Always remember Bendis was working to a much longer plan and was taken off of the book prematurely. It is hard to judge his story when it was cut so very short. He had plans to go very long, at least twice as long again.
    Hmm. Source?

His contract was out and he went to DC?

Nobody kicked him off the xbooks, as far as i recall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    *lassoes magnetic back into the thread, not bothering to look up if it's lassoes or lassos*

I won't go into a long explanation of my reasons. I'll summarize. What I've seen suggests Lorna was written well on Prisoner X, but in this case, I have issues with it that go beyond the writing itself. If those issues did not exist, I would have read it.
    Is it that you think Bishop "stole" Lorna's role as the lead character?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Hmm. Source?

Hickman hinted that Bendis was forced to quit due to editorial in a recent interview. It was clear the end of his run was abrupt. Also, they delayed UXM #600 for months despite it already being complete- once the issue came out, the same day as EXM #1 stealing all the spotlight, it was clear that they wanted to bury it because the direction they went with Cyclops (new Hitler) was the exact opposite of what happened in #600.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Hmm. Source?

He talked early on about planning a very long run then he was bumped into Iron Man and clearly rushed his story to manage that.

This was the kind of rhetoric we got from him early on:

I have an idea in front of me that has already given me a notebook full of ideas with which to write. That’s what a good run starts from and it feels really good. If the audience participates accordingly, then I will hunker down for longer. I’m also under contract for a while so I have to write something. I want to do an X-run. There’s something nice about knowing that I can’t beat Chris Claremont’s record [of 16 years writing the X-Men], so I can relax. I’ve already beaten Spider-Man’s record and the Avengers record so I’m going to write a lot of issues of X-Men and write a really big story that will amount to, hopefully, what I want it to be.

Marvel.com summer of 2012

To me that's not the rhetoric of someone planning on lasting 3 years, even if we would currently consider 3 years to be a long run.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-04-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Hickman hinted that Bendis was forced to quit due to editorial in a recent interview. It was clear the end of his run was abrupt. Also, they delayed UXM #600 for months despite it already being complete- once the issue came out, the same day as EXM #1 stealing all the spotlight, it was clear that they wanted to bury it because the direction they went with Cyclops (new Hitler) was the exact opposite of what happened in #600.
    They also reneged on Bendis’ promise that 600 would have more content. Marvel probably decided not to spend the money on it.

I alway remember Bendis insisting he finished writing it and wasn’t responsible for the delay. It was quite clearly frustrating him.

BANNED

He talked early on about planning a very long run then he was bumped into Iron Man and clearly rushed his story to manage that.

This was the kind of rhetoric we got from him early on:

I have an idea in front of me that has already given me a notebook full of ideas with which to write. That’s what a good run starts from and it feels really good. If the audience participates accordingly, then I will hunker down for longer. I’m also under contract for a while so I have to write something. I want to do an X-run. There’s something nice about knowing that I can’t beat Chris Claremont’s record [of 16 years writing the X-Men], so I can relax. I’ve already beaten Spider-Man’s record and the Avengers record so I’m going to write a lot of issues of X-Men and write a really big story that will amount to, hopefully, what I want it to be.

Marvel.com summer of 2012

To me that's not the rhetoric of someone planning on lasting 3 years, even if we would currently consider 3 years to be a long run.
    He also said early on that he had five big plots in mind for his X-Men run and that the O5 and Cyclops' revolution would be only be the first two.

They also reneged on Bendis’ promise that 600 would have more content. Marvel probably decided not to spend the money on it.

I alway remember Bendis insisting he finished writing it and wasn’t responsible for the delay. It was quite clearly frustrating him.
    Marvel did something similar with the final issue of Fraction's Hawkeye, which they delayed by a year despite being finished as payback for Fraction quitting the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Marvel did something similar with the final issue of Fraction's Hawkeye, which they delayed by a year despite being finished as payback for Fraction quitting the company.
    No, Fraction delayed the hell out of that, and he didn’t quit it was more mutual “irreconcilable differences” after his demanding to be paid for his unpublished Inhumans work, which I think was a fair thing to demand but a dangerous precedence for Marvel.