Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What are the most important storylines for your favorite characters?

The X-Men have gone through a hell of a lot of events over the years, and those years have shaped and reshaped them into something different each time. However, there are some stories that affect certain characters more than others. In terms of your favorite characters within the X-Men world, what are the most important stories for them?

Ex: Magneto has Age of Apocalypse.

Wolverine vol 1 1-4 by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.
    Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith
    Wolverine vol 2 173-176 by Frank Tieri and Sean Cheng.

Those are the first ones that come to mind when it comes to Logan, he doesn't have big storylines in the team books, but there is some good issues dedicated to him in CC's run (Uncanny #205 and 268 are personal favorites of mine)
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Generation X Version 1.

Everything that came after (Morrison, Fraction, Whedon, etc) doesn't matter one iota without Gen X for Emma.

Magneto:

1) MAGNETO TESTAMENT
    2) UNCANNY X-MEN #150
    3) UNCANNY X-MEN #200
    4) AGE OF APOCALYPSE
    5) HOUSE OF M/SON OF M
    6) UNCANNY X-MEN 517*

*Asterisk b/c some Magneto fans don't agree, but I think this moment when Magneto kneels to Scott Summers and begs to be a part of his mutant Utopia was the start of the modern Magneto and everything that followed, including the MAGNETO solo series.

Polaris.

X-Men #49-50
    Giant-Size X-Men*
    New X-Men #132
    Uncanny X-Men #431 (technically starts in #429/430)
    Uncanny X-Men #442-443
    X-Factor #243
    All-New X-Factor #14 (and most of run aside from #3/4-6)

I put an asterisk beside Giant-Size X-Men because while it's not important in terms of character/relationship development, it IS important due to the feat she performed (powered up by Storm, Cyclops and Havok) and having a meaningful place among the X-Men while doing it.

There are other things I could cite that would be AU. This includes House of M, Exiles, and Secret Wars.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Creed -AXIS
    His character went in a better direction. Trying to atone for his numerous sins while forming genuine bonds with other characters. Had Bunncanny not ended, he would have begun a relationship with Monet, which had interesting potential. More of his past would've been explored. He'd come to see his team as a family, and his reversion would've been a long tragic descent. First time he'd have been treated seriously in 16 years.

Sadly that story line was erased for status quo and he's gone back to playef-out joke villain, which even Hickman doesn't care ro fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Creed -AXIS
    His character went in a better direction. Trying to atone for his numerous sins while forming genuine bonds with other characters. Had Bunncanny not ended, he would have begun a relationship with Monet, which had interesting potential. More of his past would've been explored. He'd come to see his team as a family, and his reversion would've been a long tragic descent. First time he'd have been treated seriously in 16 years.

Sadly that story line was erased for status quo and he's gone back to playef-out joke villain, which even Hickman doesn't care ro fix.
    It's interesting that I can think of multiple female villains that head into the "gotta try to redeem my past villainous ways" route, but I can't think of any male villains off the top of my head that have that and stick with it. Only one I can think of is, depending on one's POV, maybe Magneto.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It's interesting that I can think of multiple female villains that head into the "gotta try to redeem my past villainous ways" route, but I can't think of any male villains off the top of my head that have that and stick with it. Only one I can think of is, depending on one's POV, maybe Magneto.
    Hell, I can think of female villains that don't give a crap anout redeeming themselves, yet they still gey preferential ant-hero treatment. Mystique for example.

But sadly, thems the breaks for some. Nothing to be done. Lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-03-2019 at 11:28 AM.

I saw some discussion, not sure tumblr or twitter, how there is less female villains. And how many times the female villains are redeemed. It's a discussion for another thread

venom, doctor octopus, loki, beetle, molecule man
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Yeah, male villains looking for redemption is pretty common, DC also has his fair for a while.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I don't know how many of those characters stuck with it, vs delving into it for a time and then reverting back to villain. All?

I don't want my bringing it up to derail the thread, so I won't say anything more on it here after this post.

I don't know how many of those characters stuck with it, vs delving into it for a time and then reverting back to villain. All?

I don't want my bringing it up to derail the thread, so I won't say anything more on it here after this post.
    The only one of those characters with a solid chance of going back to being a villain is Doctor Octopus, but they'll get a lot of shit if they do it unless there is some big think approach, plus media adaptations could influence sales which would influence decisions. Venom and Loki will never go back because they're at peak popularity right now as heroes. The original Beetle is dead and if someone cared enough to bring him back, it would be as a hero where the bulk of his character happened. Molecule Man's primary characterization is as a nice guy who's powers make him dangerous when pressed, and now he's a closer ally to the Fantastic Four than ever, so that's unlikely to change. Shoutouts to anyone I forgot, like Skurge the Executioner. We could also include characters who were villains for two seconds like Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Prowler.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

For Jean:
    -Dark Phoenix saga obviously
    -X-factor Vol.1
    -Adventured of Cyclops and Phoenix
    -Unfortunately Morrison's run (asshole)
    -All new X-men
    -X-men Red

For Rachel Summers/Grey
    Days of Future Past
    Excalibur Special Edition (1988) #1
    Days of Future Present
    Excalibur #52 - All You Ever Wanted To Know About Phoenix... But Were Afraid To Ask
    Excalibur #65 to Excalibur #67 - Days of Futures yet to come
    X-Men: Phoenix (1999) - #1 to #3
    The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix (1994) - #1 to #4
    X-Men: Deadly Genesis
    The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
    Emperor Vulcan
    X-Men: Kingbreaker
    War of Kings
    X-Force 2019 - #9 and #10

Most of what I listed were the stories that had direct impact on her history. There were good storylines in several of the X-books over the years, but for Rachel's continuing story I would say the above list are the issues that had the most impact on her as a character.