Extraordinary Member

Default Cyborg vs. Alphonse Elric

Cyborg, from the Teen Titans Animated Series, takes on Alphonse Elric, from the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Anime

Bonus: They sit an talk

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm assuming that this is armor-Alphonse, rather than human Alphonse, who I don't think has any feats, but is probably on par with Edward, once he had time to fatten up again.

Well, in either case, Alphonse is more agile and better at hand to hand, but I don't think that he can actually harm Cyborg without Alchemy, but he should be able to use circle-less transmutation, IIRC, so that means that any touch could be fatal.

Cyborg should be able to render Al to chunks with a single strike or an energy blast, but he's not skilled enough to land a punch before getting his limbs turned to glass, and I can't remember if has AOE capabilities to allow him to reliably hit Al w/ his blasts.

As for the Sit and Talk, while they're both really friendly and have their body issues in common (kind of), their personalities are probably too far apart for them to really enjoy the many of same things recreationally. That being said, they would probably both enjoy picking one another's brains about their respective scientific disciplines. Alphonse may come out of this with enough knowledge to transmute some energy cannons and Class 20+ish mechanical muscle onto himself, and Cyborg may try and bug Raven with his new not-magic (assuming that he even *can* learn it), going forward.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Brotherhood Al could transmute by clapping, yes. And while Cyborg can fire off multiple beams at once, I don't think he has a true AoE. So I reckon Al should be able to rock surf his way past the blasts to land the exploding grab.

Extraordinary Member

Wouldn't Alphonse need to know what Cyborg is made of?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Fair point, actually.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Not necessarily I don't think.

Even if he wouldn't be able to transmute him cleanly, Al trying to transmute an unknown structure should still mess with it's material properties a lot. Cyborg won't like it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Even if he wouldn't be able to transmute him cleanly, Al trying to transmute an unknown structure should still mess with it's material properties a lot. Cyborg won't like it either way.
    In both versions of the anime, Ed was able to nullify Scar's transmutation on his automail by keeping him guessing on the material. In the original series, he does this by shifting it into different metals before each strike, and in Brotherhood he just guesses whether Scar was going for his flesh or his metal and getting lucky. Similarly, when Al goes up against Briggsy McHardAbs, he tries to transmute his automail and fails because it isn't made of the material he expects it to be. So they do seem to need to know what they are doing to achieve ANY effect.

Now, I'll grant you that it seems unlikely they have to know the exact atomic composition or whatever, because then would think subtle variations in masonry techniques would shut them down every time they try to transmute a road or building. But it seems like they need to have a decent idea of what they are working with, and they've been specifically foiled by unfamiliar materials. So I'd say the futuristic metals used for Cyborg would probably be a problem-- certainly enough to where I wouldn't bank on Al getting it on his first go.

Al certainly has options to pin, like if he can immobilize Cyborg with ground traps, or land a clap on Vic's fleshy eye parts. Or even just landing claps until he guesses close enough, boys is a chemical genius after all. But it definitely moves out of the "one touch win" category Drunk and I initially chalked it up as.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    In both versions of the anime, Ed was able to nullify Scar's transmutation on his automail by keeping him guessing on the material. In the original series, he does this by shifting it into different metals before each strike, and in Brotherhood he just guesses whether Scar was going for his flesh or his metal and getting lucky. Similarly, when Al goes up against Briggsy McHardAbs, he tries to transmute his automail and fails because it isn't made of the material he expects it to be. So they do seem to need to know what they are doing to achieve ANY effect.

Now, I'll grant you that it seems unlikely they have to know the exact atomic composition or whatever, because then would think subtle variations in masonry techniques would shut them down every time they try to transmute a road or building. But it seems like they need to have a decent idea of what they are working with, and they've been specifically foiled by unfamiliar materials. So I'd say the futuristic metals used for Cyborg would probably be a problem-- certainly enough to where I wouldn't bank on Al getting it on his first go.

Al certainly has options to pin, like if he can immobilize Cyborg with ground traps, or land a clap on Vic's fleshy eye parts. Or even just landing claps until he guesses close enough, boys is a chemical genius after all. But it definitely moves out of the "one touch win" category Drunk and I initially chalked it up as.
    I had forgotten times when it had explicitly failed due to shifted techniques. In light of that I'll agree with this assessment. I agree that I don't think it's a OHKO situation but I think Vic really wants to avoid letting Al touch him. He has a superior range game which should help.

That's a very good point that I forgot to take into account. Still, in melee range I would give Alphonse decent odds of being able to land a strike on Vic's organic portion, *almost* at his leisure, if he knows not to go for the robot bits first.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    That's a very good point that I forgot to take into account. Still, in melee range I would give Alphonse decent odds of being able to land a strike on Vic's organic portion, *almost* at his leisure, if he knows not to go for the robot bits first.
    Remember, this is animated Cyborg

009aef9238e66022dfbf2343c3925d64.jpg

There's limited options as far as the Fleshy bits go

Remember, this is animated Cyborg

009aef9238e66022dfbf2343c3925d64.jpg

There's limited options as far as the Fleshy bits go
    That was the one that I was thinking of, and Al is miles better at melee than Cyborg, so if it gets to hand to hand range, Alphonse would be able to land his blows pretty much at his leisure, barring dumb luck on Victor's part.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    That was the one that I was thinking of, and Al is miles better at melee than Cyborg, so if it gets to hand to hand range, Alphonse would be able to land his blows pretty much at his leisure, barring dumb luck on Victor's part.
    Where is ATT's Cyborg's strength at? IIRC, wasn't he lifting buildings at one point or another in the show?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

This fight has a big asterisk on it for the alchemy, due to his having a philosopher's stone, but his agility and melee skill, combined with the ability to create massive dust clouds by touching the ground, should not be underestimated in this fight, especially since he was also fighting two guys that could each basically one-shot him here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Where is ATT's Cyborg's strength at? IIRC, wasn't he lifting buildings at one point or another in the show?
    I don't recall him doing that, and he was definitely much weaker than Starfire, but I'm still comfortable placing him in the "utterly destroys any part of Al that he can lay a hand/blast on," but, in addition to the fact that that won't necessarily stop Al unless his Crest is harmed, Al just comes across as a much better fighter and can do lethal damage with a touch, at least to his human parts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Some Strength feats

-Punches Heavy Steel doors off their hinges
    -Uses a massive Piston as a bat.
    -Lifts a Bus
    -The Building feat