Default John Byrne's portrayal of Galactus

Galactus has always looked like a giant man. But when Reed Richards is charged by the Shi'ar Empire for saving his life, and Galactus himself show up, we see him through the eyes of the other aliens present, and they all see him their own way.
    Meaning that the way we see him has to do with some telepathic connection with the observer, which makes you wonder what a photography of Galactus would look like. In the movie they solved the problem by turning him into a cloud.

In the origin story of Galactus, we see him create his armor as a way to better control his powers. So he is obviously not naked. Which he would be if he was just some semi-physical being that existed in a higher level of existence.

Not sure what I think about it. But because of the way he was introduced in the first place, I think I'll just go with the original Lee and Kirby version.

Also saw it as he is going to destroy the earth and was fighting heroes so humans see him as a "bad guy" and "super villain ". This is why he has a "costume" like any other bad guy to humans used to a world of heroes and villains.

When he attacked the Korbinites (Beta Ray Bill's people), he appeared to them as Ashta, their god of destruction.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

iMan 42s

That's one of the things I like about Galactus since his very presence means so much more. He looks different to different species who know him under different circumstances and culture, he could honestly look like anything and that is simultaneous fascinating and horrifying in that respect.

Sure he might start looking largely human and he's not exactly naked, but I'd find it a waste of potential if he really is just a giant guy in purple armor.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

As good of a time to post this

This retcon is dumb because it was already established by that time that Galan was a normal-looking humanoid dude who survived the end of everything, so as Galactus he looks like a pimped out version of himself. Plus he definitely has a defined physical form people come in contact with. Byrne probably thought it made him cool, but his design is already fantastic and doesn't need the added detail of "fake btw." So that's why no one runs with this idea.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Just remembered that in Secret Wars (1984) he ends up being knocked out and is found unconscious on the ground. When he wakes up and get back on his feet, there as a hole in the ground shaped like the outlines of the body, I think. It's a while since I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    As good of a time to post this

Such a great page. Such a great story.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This retcon is dumb because it was already established by that time that Galan was a normal-looking humanoid dude who survived the end of everything, so as Galactus he looks like a pimped out version of himself. Plus he definitely has a defined physical form people come in contact with. Byrne probably thought it made him cool, but his design is already fantastic and doesn't need the added detail of "fake btw." So that's why no one runs with this idea.
    He also has a huge chair that seems to fit a human anatomy. And one more thing regarding retconning. It was probably also in a Byrne story where it is revealed that he has a yin and yang relationship with Death itself (or herself). He is everything she is, just the opposite. Which would make him the life force of the universe.

(Also, in the old days Galctus used to have eyes with pupils, but now he was square "pupils" that seems to be a part of his helmet.)

Astonishing Member

I don't think it was that he physically looks different

More that due to his immense pyscic presence each race interprets his form differently

At least that's how I understood it?

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I don't think it was that he physically looks different

More that due to his immense pyscic presence each race interprets his form differently

At least that's how I understood it?
    If you have to interpret his form, that would mean that nobody has ever seen him how he really is. Which is why it would have been interesting if anyone tried to film or take pictures of such a being.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    If you have to interpret his form, that would mean that nobody has ever seen him how he really is. Which is why it would have been interesting if anyone tried to film or take pictures of such a being.
    I think maybe that's true, to an extent at least, I think certainly his human like guise is based on galan, a clearly humanoid persona, and his form is humanoid, the artifacts like his chair suggest this, but maybe that's just the armour holding the form he used to have as a person, he's been seen like a star twice iirc, once by choice the other when his armour broke, do maybe it's a side effect of the armour regulating him?

But face to face in the flesh, I think the idea was lesser races are affected by him on a subliminal telepathic scale

As for pictures, who knows if it doesn't extend to that?

Interesting question?
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-04-2019 at 06:18 PM.