• Dr. Octopus - The Original

26 59.09%
  • Superior Spider-Man - Anti-Hero Spider-Man

9 20.45%
  • Superior Octopus - The Best of Both Worlds

9 20.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

As much as character development marches on, I prefer more classic takes on Otto Octavius...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    My all-time favorite version is from Spectacular Spider-Man:
    Yeah, I'd have to agree...it's funny as when the series first started I was wondering HOW they were going to turn the meek Otto Octavius into the sinister scientist we all love. I find it very interesting that instead of going for a booming and commanding voice, they went in a more slimy direction. When Octavius talks calmly he sounds creepy. I'm a sucker for comic book hamminess (even though Ock is playing completely stright, he just comes of hammy because he is so over the top)...OS I'm going to have to give it to this particular version of Ock. (I often wonder if they used that period where Ock was afraid of Spider-Man for Otto before the accident...as he was pretty paranoid Spider-Man was going to come and get him)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    PS4 Ock really felt like he was channeling the best of Spectacular Ock, especially when he went really manic and Supervillain-y.
    Maybe in the sense of being screwed over by Norman, but the game's Ock is pretty much a more fleshed out version of the Ock from Spider-Man 2.

White Armani Suit Ock!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Maybe in the sense of being screwed over by Norman, but the game's Ock is pretty much a more fleshed out version of the Ock from Spider-Man 2.
    Where's the wife, the happy marriage, the 30s gangster affects when he takes over, and the game redeeming a terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Where's the wife, the happy marriage, the 30s gangster affects when he takes over, and the game redeeming a terrorist.
    Oh, for the love of . . .

Good man turned bad because he went mad from his invention. Spec Ock was never a good guy. He was working with the villains from the start. PS4 and Molina Ock were both about using their gifts to help mankind. And both are tragic figures. You're listing plot details.

Otto Octavius, yeah, but Dr. Octopus was the kind of hammy, maniacal, methodical, psycho he was in Spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Otto Octavius, yeah, but Dr. Octopus was the kind of hammy, maniacal, methodical, psycho he was in Spectacular.
    Every version is.

Why are you stuck on the whole "Ock as a terrorist in Spider-Man 2" thing? It's getting ridiculous at this point.

Every version is.
    Exactly .

BANNED

Good man turned bad because he went mad from his invention. Spec Ock was never a good guy. He was working with the villains from the start. PS4 and Molina Ock were both about using their gifts to help mankind. And both are tragic figures. You're listing plot details.
    PS4 Ock did participate and approve Osborn's human experimentation on Martin Li. So he's in the same boat as Weisman's Ock. Sure Otto regretted it...at the last moment when it was too late...but he did go ahead with it for most of the time.

PS4 Ock did participate and approve Osborn's human experimentation on Martin Li. So he's in the same boat as Weisman's Ock. Sure Otto regretted it...at the last moment when it was too late...but he did go ahead with it for most of the time.
    This is also clearly before Norman had shown himself to be a bad person. The argument was about an unnecessary risk, not some Mengele level stuff.

EDIT: I'm not even sure Norman is a proper bad guy in the game. More of a not-entirely-scrupulous narcissistic a-hole.
    Last edited by Tuck; 08-05-2019 at 12:39 PM.

how does molina otto take multiple close-quarters punches from spider-man

why did he throw that car
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

EDIT: I'm not even sure Norman is a proper bad guy in the game. More of a not-entirely-scrupulous narcissistic a-hole.
    That's how he's presented so far, but he also hasn't become the Goblin yet (assuming he does become the Goblin in that continuity).
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The same way regular Ock can?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

why did he throw that car
    Because Peter holds back on his punches, I guess.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Erik Larsen's Doctor Octopus was the definitive Doctor Octopus to me.
    It definitely helped that Micheline wrote Octavius as a mastermind, so you had the perfect combo of Micheline bringing back the Master Planner qualities of Ock and Larsen modernising Otto's look, boosting his calculating and ruthless nature of Doc Ock.

My favorite version, outside of comics(because i love everything that has happened to Ock from Amazing Spider-Man 600 till now, although i would prefer him as Superior Octopus and not reusing the Spider-Man ID again) is the Spectacular Spider-Man and PS4 version.

Spectacular Spider-Man developed Ock in such a great way, it was Lee-Ditko Ock with proper modernisation. A timid scientist, with elements of amoral pride for his genius, turned into a paranoid megalomaniac.It was nice how they evolved him through the series. From a meek scientist who Norman always demeaned him, into a paranoid supervillain and later into a would-be world conqueror and one of the top crime lords of NY. His triple threat battle with Tombstone and Silvermane remains one of my favorite battles in the show and proves what a beast Dr Octopus is in battle.

PS4 Dr Octopus is like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad. A genius who was overshadowed by a mix of his wrong choices and bad luck and having a disease that threatens to trap him in an immobile body, that dangerous mix drove Otto into a path of revenge. The game showed a multifaced Otto. The good boss, the idealist inventor, the jealous co-partner who was screwed, the desperate man and later the evil genius.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius