Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's the wildest Batverse retcon you would accept at this point?

Not talking about established retcons (like Dick's original Robin costume never also being Jason's).

Talking about potential retcons that they haven't yet done that you'd be onboard with, no matter how big a change.

Mine: Damian is actually the biological child of Bruce and Selina, conceived without Bruce finding out, and Selina not even knowing she was pregnant until she gave birth and, feeling overwhelmed, immediately gave up the child ... to an agent of Talia al Ghul, who feared she herself was barren. From there the sort resumes as usual. Until Damian finds out, of course.

Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Not talking about established retcons (like Dick's original Robin costume never also being Jason's).

Talking about potential retcons that they haven't yet done that you'd be onboard with, no matter how big a change.

Mine: Damian is actually the biological child of Bruce and Selina, conceived without Bruce finding out, and Selina not even knowing she was pregnant until she gave birth and, feeling overwhelmed, immediately gave up the child ... to an agent of Talia al Ghul, who feared she herself was barren. From there the sort resumes as usual. Until Damian finds out, of course.

Yours?
    Too wild for me, for multiple reasons. But hilarious and fun to read. I'm looking forward to reading more contributions/ideas.

Unfortunately, I lack the creativity to come up with something wild, much less something I could accept. I don't like big retcons, in general, so this was always going to be an uphill thread for me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-04-2019 at 06:44 AM.

There have only been 3 Robins
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

Yours?
    Er... that idea gets a big no from me.
    Last edited by Ansa; 08-04-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah, that one is replacing a mixed Arabic-Chinese-White kid with an All White kid, assuming this Selina isn't the Cuban mixed. Even then that's still replacing one rare ethnicity with another.

I don't mind if you do it with Ian Wayne because that one is already white XD

I don't mind they retcon Alfred to come after Dick into Bruce's life, but I already said that often and I kinda miss the father figure too. What if Jarvis is the one who raised Bruce, then after Bruce ran off globally, he either quit or killed by The Court, and Alfred didn't find out until later?

Maybe not the wildest retcon, but often brought up in fanfics, would be Jason (before he got his mind back by being dunked in the Lazarus pit) being told to spar against the "One Who is All", better known as Cass, while she is visiting the League of Assassins' headquarters so R'as can see her progress. Otherwise, Jason serves as Damian's servant, both while wearing a full-faced mask.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Tim and Jason were never Robin and don't know the secret identities of Bruce, Dick, and Damien.

Tim pretended to be Robin in his own neighborhood and even convinced his Young Justice pals he was (eventually coming clean to them).

Jason worked for the Al Ghuls and was given false memories by the League of Shadows as motivation to assassinate Bruce Wayne. He eventually broke free and was seemingly killed by the Joker while protecting Batman and Robin. Lying low he is now is the Red Hood, a ruthless vigilante.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Maybe not the wildest retcon, but often brought up in fanfics, would be Jason (before he got his mind back by being dunked in the Lazarus pit) being told to spar against the "One Who is All", better known as Cass, while she is visiting the League of Assassins' headquarters so R'as can see her progress. Otherwise, Jason serves as Damian's servant, both while wearing a full-faced mask.
    What's her leaving-age now? Originally, it was like 8, so wouldn't time out for when Jason was there, but I have no idea what it is now. I mean, would it be another retcon? Doesn't matter if it does, given the thread. I just don't actually know her backstory right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    What's her leaving-age now? Originally, it was like 8, so wouldn't time out for when Jason was there, but I have no idea what it is now. I mean, would it be another retcon? Doesn't matter if it does, given the thread. I just don't actually know her backstory right now.
    Pre-Flashpoint, about 8. Post-Flashpoint, she was in her teens, at least. What's more, pre-Flashpoint at least, Cass and Jason were about the same age. Not sure about the current timeline though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    In the current timeline Cain worked for mother, and Cass was never part of the League, and I don't think she left until very shortly before the start of B&RE (her origin is not really clear when it come to this).

Per Flashpoint Cass it was retconned that Cain trained her for Ras (that was not part of her original origin, and was addded quite late in the run when a new writer took over from her original creator), but Cass was still never really part of the league before she run away (at age 9 iirc).

Changing Damian beeing an Al Ghul doesn't really work, that would contradict the plot of Regeneration of Ras Al Ghul.

But I think Selina could be a potential candidate for being Jason's Mother, since her name starts also with an "S".

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Much rather Jason be his Body guard/instructor not servant that way they can have a healthier relationship.

Fantastic Member

Yours?
    Oh Jesus, isn't that based on the remarkably awful and extraordinarily racist fan fiction written by some idiot who has never read any comics over on AO3? Man. It's so bad, starting with the fact that they don't know that Damian having Bruce's eyes was a literal plot point in multiple comics and the current green eyes have been shown as being the result of Lazarus Pit poisoning.

Gods. Anyone who has read comics outside of Tom King's run knows how utterly stupid that idea is considering that No Man's Land #0 established in 7 pages between Bruce and Talia what Tom King is still attempting to do in his entire run with Bruce and Selina.

Perhaps you should read some comics to understand why Grant Morrison by #666 had retconned out the rape, and when under editorial demands to return it in Incorporated made it clear via the art that Bruce and Talia got it on before he drank the drugged drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Oh Jesus, isn't that based on the remarkably awful and extraordinarily racist fan fiction written by some idiot who has never read any comics over on AO3? Man. It's so bad, starting with the fact that they don't know that Damian having Bruce's eyes was a literal plot point in multiple comics and the current green eyes have been shown as being the result of Lazarus Pit poisoning.

Gods. Anyone who has read comics outside of Tom King's run knows how utterly stupid that idea is considering that No Man's Land #0 established in 7 pages between Bruce and Talia what Tom King is still attempting to do in his entire run with Bruce and Selina.

Perhaps you should read some comics to understand why Grant Morrison by #666 had retconned out the rape, and when under editorial demands to return it in Incorporated made it clear via the art that Bruce and Talia got it on before he drank the drugged drink.
    I figured it was a bad one, hence why I ignore it. But man, didn't realize it was that bad.

Jason never came back.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Jason never came back.
    This sounds like it has the right amount of crazy and dramatic potential.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics