• Otto Octavius

7 15.91%
  • Cindy Moon

3 6.82%
  • Gwen Stacy

1 2.27%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not too familiar with later 65-Gwen stuff. I love the character, but her solo series quickly became really bad and I gave up on it. I guess I have to catch up with the Ghost Spider...
    That's true, 65 Gwen has never recovered her once monumental popularity among comic book fans since being shoehorned into the 616 Universe. IMO, taking 65 Gwen out of her own unique universe for the lion's share of adventures was a huge mistake motivated by short-term greed.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-08-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    That's true, 65 Gwen has never recovered her once monumental popularity among comic book fans since being shoehorned into the 616 Universe. IMO, taking 65 Gwen out of her own unique universe for the lion's share of adventures was a huge mistake motivated by short-term greed.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. I would have also personally preferred expanding her own universe and her supporting cast, allies, and other connections there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think it's a big unfair to hold that against her, though. A good deal of characters who had massive spikes in popularity will eventually have to come down because things can't remain up forever. But even though having Spider-Gwen in your cover doesn't mean the book will sell, that doesn't mean she's gone from the spotlight. I would say she's in a similar spot to Miles in many senses. Their fandoms have stabilized, but they are nonetheless recognizable silhouettes that have their place. Gwen herself just needs a good writer to tackle her again, imo.

I certainly don't think the character will fall short soon. While it is true she is despised in certain circles, especially hardcore ones. Casual fans love her. Her design is very iconic which almost guarantees staying power. I don't know, I wouldn't be worried about her.

Agreed although I quit the series long before that happened. Part of the series' charm was to see 65-versions of old characters in a world where superheroes were not as common as in 616. On Marvel Prime she is just one amongst the many different Spider-folks swinging around.
    I'm not sure if it was deliberate or them just writing themselves into corner, but changing the timeline was almost necessary as the writers very stupidly destroyed her secret identity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I think it's a big unfair to hold that against her, though. A good deal of characters who had massive spikes in popularity will eventually have to come down because things can't remain up forever. But even though having Spider-Gwen in your cover doesn't mean the book will sell, that doesn't mean she's gone from the spotlight. I would say she's in a similar spot to Miles in many senses. Their fandoms have stabilized, but they are nonetheless recognizable silhouettes that have their place. Gwen herself just needs a good writer to tackle her again, imo.

I certainly don't think the character will fall short soon. While it is true she is despised in certain circles, especially hardcore ones. Casual fans love her. Her design is very iconic which almost guarantees staying power. I don't know, I wouldn't be worried about her.
    I am one of those hardcore fans and I do not hate her ( I did not hate Original Gwen either). But she simply does nothing for me ( good or bad). I think the reason why hard core fans hate her is she is put in stories that remind them of hated stories that have nothing to do with her. Think Jackal appearing in her comic ( reminds people of Clone Saga), Norman and her ( reminds people of Sins Past). I think I the best thing is to keep her away from Peter and Peter villains ( like Norman and ( especially) Jackal), so she can be judged on her own merits not compared to the original.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-09-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am one of those hardcore fans and I do not hate her ( I did not hate Original Gwen either). But she simply does nothing for me ( good or bad). I think the reason why hard core fans hate her is she is put in stories that remind them of hated stories that have nothing to do with her. Think Jackal appearing in her comic ( reminds people of Clone Saga), Norman and her ( reminds people of Sins Past). I think I the best thing is to keep her away from Peter and Peter villains ( like Norman and ( especially) Jackal), so she can be judged on her own merits not compared to the original.
    Ironically, that's the problem.

She's shunted to the side. She's put in a disposable corner of Marvel. It's the same problem with Kaine. They're treated as expendable because they're not "mains".

It's arguably the reason why they brought her and other characters to the 616 universe: so that they could gain proper notoriety.

Ben and Kaine: I group then together because i think that theu were interesting exploration of Peter's characther that show what he would do in a situation that they would put canon Peter in. Ben showed an example of what he would do if he loses everything (even considering suicide) but ultimately having the strength to put himself back together and find his own path. Kaine was an example about how Peter could be put to the edge and turn into a murderer, but also showing that he wasn't beyond redemption, his characther arc ending with him turning himself to the cops and pay for his wrongdoings, his Scarlet Spider stuff was pretty good, at least in the first half. I got not idea on how PAD wrote him or Ben in their last solo, so i won't comment on that.

Miguel O'Hara: First Legacy of Spider-Man and that alone made me interested on him when i was 12, i come to apreciate him more in current years thanks to PAD aproach of "he zigs when Peter Parker zags" that really helped to make him unique. Is a pitty that his last apperance was pretty underwhelming.

Anya Corazon: I got no idea what to think of her, i've been meaning to read her original apperances but i never gotten around it.

Miles Morales: Before ITSV i thought that he was a cool concept that had the missfortune of being created by Bendis? who pretty much did everything wrong with him. But after that move and the changes they implemented, i'm more interested on seeing what Marvel is planning for him, i even heard good thing Ahmed run who seems to be fixing of his problems. I'm still conflicted about him being in the 616 universe.

Superior Spider-Man: F@$% him, maybe i should express myself better and give a more constructive criticism about him....but i don't feel like it and probably had been say to many times anyways, so f@#$ him.

Silk: Terrible under Slott, decent under Thompson, completly indiferent about her in the long term.

Ghist Spider: Great origin and artwork, not so great solo, i did heard good things abou her new writer, but i had lose interest by that point.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

No Mayday?

BANNED

A list without the oldest character (Jessica Drew) feels incomplete.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=PCN24454;5182743]Ironically, that's the problem.

She's shunted to the side. She's put in a disposable corner of Marvel. It's the same problem with Kaine. They're treated as expendable because they're not "mains".

It's arguably the reason why they brought her and other characters to the 616 universe: so that they could gain proper notoriety.[/QUOTE
    I understand why Ghost Spider and Miles were brought over to 616. The problem is they are not the same. Miles has been successful and has his own identity and does not need to piggyback off of Peter ( that is why he will be in the MCU). Gwen is basically piggybacking off of Original Gwen and even Miles by being his love interest. Even Silk who I have bashed like no other character ( except Jackal), has had Post Amazing successes. Why? Being away from Peter and according to posters here, very good stories. Characters are generally placed in a disposable part of Marvel ( or any fictional setting) only if they are not going to bring something to the table ( sales and bringing in new fans are obvious examples of this). One character I really liked was Michelle Gonzalez ( I ranked her second only to MJ). But Marvel sent her away. Why? Most people did not agree with me and disliked her (she was even behind Carlie Cooper and Deb Whitman in popularity). If Gwen cannot cut it on her own, then there is nothing wrong with sending her away. Just like Michelle and countless other characters the public rejected.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-14-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Comparing Ghost-Spider to Michelle Gonzalez is completely wild to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Comparing Ghost-Spider to Michelle Gonzalez is completely wild to me.
    The comparison is about popularity. Michelle was not popular so she got sent away. If Ghost Spider is not popular on her own ( not existing because of Original Gwen and ( or) Miles) she needs to go away as well.

As for Gwen being moved to the main universe, that was a failed experiment. Many issues before Ghost Spider was closed they gave up on that and returned to the Universe 65, even introducing the local Sue and Johnny Storm.

Surely Miles has nothing to do with Ghost-Spider's popularity? At least their first team-up was widely seen as more popular Gwen giving Miles a rub (not in a literal sense).

Astonishing Member

Silver Sable.