Default Valkyrie #1 Spoilers

Well, that was a bit scary. This book has a lot of buildup incorporated into it, and I do detect a bit of Al Ewing shock and awe at the end there. I thought Valkyrie was this chick on a flying horse and takes the dead to heaven, but that’s not it at all. This is weapons, responsibilities, special god abilities, spells that make normal humans into gods. Hang onto your seats. This new book about Valkyrie sends you into places you didn’t know existed in Asgard

spoilers:
    Jane Foster, Valkyrie, stops the Fast Five stealing Asgardian artefacts, all except one, Dragonfang, her sword. Not some ordinary sword. This thing summons winged horses and makes you invisible to gods, and, improves the bearers fighting skills. But. Oh boy, did it get in the wrong hands.

So, Jane loses the sword, and has to report for work at the hospital, and she’s demoted to morgue duty where she finds the robber of Dragonfang was murdered. Jane heads off to dead Brinhilde for advice. Then she takes Heimdall to find the sword, and Jane learns the god-sight, but too late. Heimdall is killed by Dragonfang wielded by Bullseye.
    end of spoilers

Too much happened too fast for me to take it all in. I feel like I came in half way during the story. Jane has no horse, no sword, and she has her worst enemy all in 23 pages.

PS And she can see dead people walking.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-04-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Is the villain immortal?
    spoilers:
    She couldn't see a death orb on Bullseye.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Is the villain immortal?
    spoilers:
    She couldn't see a death orb on Bullseye.
    end of spoilers
    What happened to the Barbara Norse Valkyrie who appeared for years in the Defenders?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Brunnhilde was slain in War of the Realms.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Course this has to be the second or third or even fourth time she's died, so Brunnhilde fans might not have anything to worry about.

As an aside, crappily written death scene.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

She also looks a lot like Winged Victory from Kurt Busiek's Astro City. From what I've seen I'm not overly impressed. I don't think it's going to last very long.

Al Ewing's books never do. Immortal Hulk is his first real success.

I love everything Al Ewing writes and I can't wait to see what happensin Valkyrie.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast