Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I agree with the folks who think they'd be better off in their own universe or else just their own little corner of the main universe. Less events. Less forced tie-ins. Stories could seem as if they have more "weight" to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    You say that, but I would have said the same about Watchmen.
    Watchmen exists in it's own universe though, doesn't it? It's not the same reality as the prime JLA people from what I understand. You're just getting a couple characters crossing over, the same way the Squadron occasionally cross over into the 616.

Well we did have a main universe nightman but marvel killed him off. Black knight, sersi and the gems have a history in the ultraverse also (gems don't work in other universes my butt! They worked just fine in the ultraverse!) Plus marvel has used main universe versions of topaz and exiles.

Heroes like the strangers, nightman and mantra would work great in the main universe. A updated prime would fit right in with the champions or new warriors. The worst part is dc was also wanting to buy them. If dc had we might have them in stories today! We even got wildstorm heroes in the flashpoint animated film!

I would even settle for some trades of the old stories. A ultraforce epic collection would be great! Even the avengers crossover would be better then nothing.

On another note nightman the series is now on dvd and amazon now has the ultraforce cartoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well we did have a main universe nightman but marvel killed him off. Black knight, sersi and the gems have a history in the ultraverse also (gems don't work in other universes my butt! They worked just fine in the ultraverse!) Plus marvel has used main universe versions of topaz and exiles.

Heroes like the strangers, nightman and mantra would work great in the main universe. A updated prime would fit right in with the champions or new warriors. The worst part is dc was also wanting to buy them. If dc had we might have them in stories today! We even got wildstorm heroes in the flashpoint animated film!

I would even settle for some trades of the old stories. A ultraforce epic collection would be great! Even the avengers crossover would be better then nothing.

On another note nightman the series is now on dvd and amazon now has the ultraforce cartoon!

DC doesn't do a much better job than marvel though. Better, but not by much. It's not like the Wildstorm or the Milestone characters are exactly doing a whole lot these days.

At least with marvel you know where you stand. They're not going to use them because of whatever reason with the contracts and what not.

I can buy tons of gen 13 and maxx trades on amazon. Can't buy any hardcase or prototype trades.

Here's a 25 years of wildstorm trade dc did.

https://www.amazon.com/WildStorm-Cel...ateway&sr=8-13

Shazam just got his own movie and dc bought him. Yeah dc is not the best but at least they do use them at times.

Marvel needs to do SOMETHING with the ultraverse. (other then cannon fodder of course)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The Ultraverse characters should be used by a company wanting to utilize them. Perhaps Dynamite could buy them from Marvel and really make a play with a superhero universe. Their start/stop attempts with Project SuperPowers, while good at times, is uneven due to publishing. The least said about their use of the Gold Key heroes the better.

I feel the same way about Archie and the Dark/Red Circle Heroes I want to see those characters regular somewhere. I may as well mention the Dark Horse 'Comics Greatest World' character while I'm on my soapbox.

Thankfully I have Valiant as a regular super hero universe to visit monthly outside "The Big 2".
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

it's a shame that malibu own superhero universe - the protectors, ex-mutants and dinosaurs for hire will all killed off to make way fo the ultraverse

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

When and where did the "main universe" Night Man get killed off?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

At most you are talking about paying about 4-5 creators with Gerard Jones, Steve Englehart, Barry Winsor Smith & Len Strazewski. Two other bigger names are deceased.

Yeah..... I don't think Marvel wants to be seen giving any money to Gerald Jones these days knowing the kind of **** storm that would stir up. It's the same reason most of his DC work has not been reprinted since his legal troubles started.

When and where did the "main universe" Night Man get killed off?

A double of Night Man allies with one of his enemies in a cannibalistic ritual to gain Celtic magical powers.[3] During Black September, the original Night Man is transported to the Marvel Universe while the double resumes the original's life. Steve Englehart planned to subsequently write two monthly Night Man comics, one centered on the magick Night Man taking place in the Ultraverse, and the other centered on the original Night Man in the Marvel Universe. However, Englehart's creative differences with Marvel caused Englehart to leave what was left of Malibu Comics.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Man#Continuity

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The precedent for creators demanding to be paid has already been established.

Image & Milestone started that. Along with others.

If it's that much of an issue-sell those rights back to the creators. Like DC did with Priest & Stuart Moore.

What is the worst that can happen? NIghtman gets a tv show (Again)? Prime gets a long run at Dynamite before becoming an Amazon stream show like The Boys?

It's not like they would destroy Marvel or DC.

At most you are talking about paying about 4-5 creators with Gerard Jones, Steve Englehart, Barry Winsor Smith & Len Strazewski. Two other bigger names are deceased.
    My understanding is that when you create a character for Marvel, Marvel owns the character and you have no right to anything, unless you have a special deal. Malibu gave the creators a piece of the action. Marvel does not do that and evidently does not want to do that, so the Malibu Universe sits, untouched.

The fact that other companies have deals similar in some respects to Malibu's is irrelevant. It isn't what Marvel does. Image and Milestone (which is also sitting untouched for the most part, and had some characters I like more than anything Malibu ever did) have nothing to do with this.

It's Marvel's call, and they've made it.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yeah..... I don't think Marvel wants to be seen giving any money to Gerald Jones these days knowing the kind of **** storm that would stir up. It's the same reason most of his DC work has not been reprinted since his legal troubles started.
    Why would it stir up anything? Yeah, I know he's in jail (and why), but paying him for work done 20 years ago shouldn't bother anyone. But of course, people there days get bothered by anything.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Why would it stir up anything? Yeah, I know he's in jail (and why), but paying him for work done 20 years ago shouldn't bother anyone. But of course, people there days get bothered by anything.
    Here would be the headline "Marvel pays convicted pedophile". Just the idea of marvel willing giving a pedo money would cause a major stir. Like I said just look at how much of his work has been reprinted by either company since he was thrown in jail. The headache is just not worth it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Here would be the headline "Marvel pays convicted pedophile". Just the idea of marvel willing giving a pedo money would cause a major stir. Like I said just look at how much of his work has been reprinted by either company since he was thrown in jail. The headache is just not worth it to them.
    I don't necessarily think it would cause a MAJOR stir... but I'd agree for marvel it's probably not worth it. It's extra effort, extra money and potentially a bit of bad press for something which probably wouldn't sell too well.

Prime and Prototype are the only heroes I'd care about seeing.

I liked the villains from the cartoon tho. Would love to see them tear it up
    The J-man