Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Malibu comics Ultraverse

If Marvel were to bring back the Ultraverse characters what would you do with them?

Since they have their own world, it really couldn't be folded into the 616.

Like the Squadron Supreme, it would probably have to exist in it's own reality, that's occasionally visited by other heroes.

It's a shame those character will probably be unused forever. I'm not saying all of them could have been folded into the Marvel Universe but characters like Rune, Mantra, Topaz, and possibly Prime may have worked. I could have even seen Prototype as a younger Tony Stark minus the genius working for a competing tech company, Ultra-Tech.

no excuse for not bringing them back. another world is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Like the Squadron Supreme, it would probably have to exist in it's own reality, that's occasionally visited by other heroes.
    It would be interesting if the Squadron’s earth 712 became the Malibu Universe

Ultimate Member

They could easily be folded in, all the Secret Wars that happen...

Astonishing Member

The problem with the Ultraverse is the same reason why the Ultimate Universe was cancelled. Since it wasn’t the “main universe”, people discounted it as “filler”. There isn’t much chance of it surviving very long.

That being said, “Secret Warps” gave an excuse for how they can return.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The problem with the Ultraverse is the same reason why the Ultimate Universe was cancelled. Since it wasn’t the “main universe”, people discounted it as “filler”. There isn’t much chance of it surviving very long.

That being said, “Secret Warps” gave an excuse for how they can return.
    I believe the Ultraverse was never used after being bought by Marvel is because of contractual obligations that would be owed to the creators if their characters were used that Marvel evidently believes are too rich for their taste. (Of course, if they paid the Ultraverse creators, that would likely become a precedent that other creators would demand.)

Sandy Hausler
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I believe the Ultraverse was never used after being bought by Marvel is because of contractual obligations that would be owed to the creators if their characters were used that Marvel evidently believes are too rich for their taste. (Of course, if they paid the Ultraverse creators, that would likely become a precedent that other creators would demand.)

Sandy Hausler

The precedent for creators demanding to be paid has already been established.

Image & Milestone started that. Along with others.

If it's that much of an issue-sell those rights back to the creators. Like DC did with Priest & Stuart Moore.

What is the worst that can happen? NIghtman gets a tv show (Again)? Prime gets a long run at Dynamite before becoming an Amazon stream show like The Boys?

It's not like they would destroy Marvel or DC.

At most you are talking about paying about 4-5 creators with Gerard Jones, Steve Englehart, Barry Winsor Smith & Len Strazewski. Two other bigger names are deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The precedent for creators demanding to be paid has already been established.

Image & Milestone started that. Along with others.

If it's that much of an issue-sell those rights back to the creators. Like DC did with Priest & Stuart Moore.

What is the worst that can happen? NIghtman gets a tv show (Again)? Prime gets a long run at Dynamite before becoming an Amazon stream show like The Boys?

It's not like they would destroy Marvel or DC.

At most you are talking about paying about 4-5 creators with Gerard Jones, Steve Englehart, Barry Winsor Smith & Len Strazewski. Two other bigger names are deceased.
    Paying off a couple creators certainly wouldn't destroy marvel... I think the point is more that it's probably not worth their time, especially if it potentially creates a precedent where other creators might start doing the same. Easiest thing to do is to just leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    It would be interesting if the Squadron’s earth 712 became the Malibu Universe
    How that even would work?? The Squadron earth is a parody universe of DC comics. And the Ultraverse was its own entity.

That would be the easiest way, but folded into the main universe would not be impossible. Elements of the New Universe (Starbrand), Ultimate universe (Miles Morales) and aqcuiered properties (Angela)has been folded in the Marvel prime earth without too much noise. That could be also apply to elements of the Ultraverse, which would end with versions of these characters but as something else. A lot of the original charm would be lost, but who knows if something new could be gained. Still, it is uncertain.
    If Marvel would choose to keep the Ultraverse appart, as it was said, it would seen as a filler universe and eventually the most popular franchise would migrate to the main earth to be folded in there. Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen.. I mean, Spider-Ghost are the best examples of that case. That would be the route I would choose to not lost all of the Ultraverse history. A tweak here and there and some minor retcon but not a total reboot.
    But, as other posters had expresed, I highly doubt we will see the Ultraverse comeback in any fashion. Marvel has had plenty of opportunities to exploit the characters and the last time they had the chance to use an acquiered universe (Crossgen) they failed miserably. And that time they tried. I don't know for sure if the contractual obligations are an issue or not (Englehart, at least, seems to play down that aspect), but it is most probably than the TPTB in Marvel have no interest in the characters. Or at least, that seems to be.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    How that even would work?? The Squadron earth is a parody universe of DC comics. And the Ultraverse was its own entity.

That would be the easiest way, but folded into the main universe would not be impossible. Elements of the New Universe (Starbrand), Ultimate universe (Miles Morales) and aqcuiered properties (Angela)has been folded in the Marvel prime earth without too much noise. That could be also apply to elements of the Ultraverse, which would end with versions of these characters but as something else. A lot of the original charm would be lost, but who knows if something new could be gained. Still, it is uncertain.
    If Marvel would choose to keep the Ultraverse appart, as it was said, it would seen as a filler universe and eventually the most popular franchise would migrate to the main earth to be folded in there. Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen.. I mean, Spider-Ghost are the best examples of that case. That would be the route I would choose to not lost all of the Ultraverse history. A tweak here and there and some minor retcon but not a total reboot.
    But, as other posters had expresed, I highly doubt we will see the Ultraverse comeback in any fashion. Marvel has had plenty of opportunities to exploit the characters and the last time they had the chance to use an acquiered universe (Crossgen) they failed miserably. And that time they tried. I don't know for sure if the contractual obligations are an issue or not (Englehart, at least, seems to play down that aspect), but it is most probably than the TPTB in Marvel have no interest in the characters. Or at least, that seems to be.
    If it was EVER going to happen, it probably would have been Secret Wars. That's the easist time to introduce, and in necessarily, fold the Ultraverse elements into the Marvel universe. They were already in the process of doing that with the Ultimate Universe and the various Squadron Supreme Universe, so one more universe wouldn't be difficult at all.

If it didn't happen in Secret Wars, I don't see it ever happening. It's not like Miracle Man, which is considered by some to be this classic on the level of Watchmen or whatever. Ultraverse was cool and all ... but the demand for it probably doesn't outweight the potential effort and cost, once lawyers start getting involved.

DC is very good at absorbing heroes into their main universe, Marvel is not. Just look at what happened with Angela. Starbrand isn't much better and Miles only works if you don't think about it at all.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

You say that, but I would have said the same about Watchmen.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    You say that, but I would have said the same about Watchmen.
    We've barely seen the Watchmen in the DCU, a little early to judge, don't you think?