Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Crisis on Infinite Earths retconned that origin of Jason's. Post CIOE, he had black hair and came from Crime Alley. So the red hair makes no sense.
    True. But Morrison said all Batman stories were in continuity for him, so I guess he played a bit fast and loose with COIE. Perhaps he was indicating that Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis or whatever had restored the earlier preCrisis stuff.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Wally West - The Flash
    Lots to choose from, off the top of my head would be

The Best: The Flash #79 - "I'm more afraid of this bastard doing it!" Wally fighting to preserve the legacy of his uncle. Not so he would be the fastest, but out of love and respect.
    The Worst: The steaming pile of **** that was Heroes In Crisis. Never has a story made me SO mad about a fictional character!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Spectacular Member

Superman

Best - Man of Steel mini-series (1986) to Reign of the Supermen (1993)

Worst - the constant change in creative teams (2000 - present)

For Green Lantern (Hal), it's too easy to say "Emerald Twilight" was the worst and "Rebirth" was the best, so:
    Best - leading the GLC against Nekron in the "Tales of the GLC" mini
    Worst - all those times he slipped and knocked himself unconscious back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Was it that time he was raped
    Was it the other time he was raped
    (...)
    Immediately jump to my mind is when he walked the desert for 10 days to protect a newborn. Hard to beat that one.
    WTH. When did those things happen?

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Don't know about the newborn story, but here is a quick rundown on the rapes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    The newborn was in Grayson, which is a must read for any Dick Grayson fan as Seely really gets and loves the character.

The first rape was Mirage back in his Titans days and it was why Kori broke up with him. Most people have forgotten it. I don't own the issue, nor have I even bothered to track it down. The second rape was Tarantula under Devin Grayson's pen when she was blowing up the series. It's why she's hated despite being one of the defining writers for Dick Grayson....oh, and the fact that she's a woman.

Both were bad and unnecessary, although every rape is unnecessary.

It's why she's hated despite being one of the defining writers for Dick Grayson....oh, and the fact that she's a woman.
    I don't give a crap that she's woman. I hate that her perception of the character is just completely contrary to mine (alas, much of her characterization was kept - and yeah, I think the character is a shadow of what he once was), and that she destroyed his life in Bludhaven, his relationship with Barbara, and that he ended up less than he started, IMO. For me, she's a huge step on the destruction of the character I loved and turning him into (a term I saw on this board, I think, though I may be misremembering exact words) "a bimbo with an IQ of 25." While that's certainly a huge exaggeration/insult, he has definitely been downgraded in the brains department. He used to be intelligent, mature, capable, capable of long-term relationships, fairly serious, and into sex in serious relationships only. Now his brainpower is frequently MIA, he sleeps around (including cheating on his lovers) and can't maintain a romantic relationship, acts like a child or goofball all too often, and then gets moments being like Bruce (taking Robin from Tim, etc.). He's not the figure to be taken seriously and highly respected by others that he once was. Didn't Luthor once say he was not a big thinker? Not a man to be trusted, of course, but once Dick was a quite cerebral character and highly respected by not only his peers, but Batman's, and that's not the sort of thing anyone would have said about him (his intelligence and detective skills being highlighted frequently and commented on by others). Now he's more often the butt of jokes.

Oh, and her interviews that keep saying I have to sympathize with Tarantula. And that Dick must have thought of Bruce as a potential lover at some point.

For me, Grayson's Dick was incredibly out of character. "Defining writer" is certainly another way to put it. He was a character I really liked as written the 1980-1985 or 1996-2002 period - my absolute favorite from DC (though definitely not the same in both time periods, and I admit that), and now I barely read him (even before Ric) because of how much he has changed (and IMO, diminished) from what he was. And she's a large part of shaping that change. He was usually pretty good in the 1970s, too, as long as not written by Robbins.

And I have no interest in reading Grayson. I'm not interested in the concept at all (I want him a masked superhero). I did read one issue, and it was kinda yucky. Don't know who wrote the one I read, it but it had the teenage girls off to save his buttcheeks that they had named. That's just distasteful and objectifying. And insulting to teenage girls. I used to be one, and we didn't act like that. Hope I'm not unfairly tarnishing with the memory of another comic.

EDIT: I am also not sure I initially knew "Devin" was a female name. But couldn't swear to that. Also, here is a post that brings up some of my issues with Devin Grayson. I didn't write it. And I don't agree with this poster on everything. But we're pretty much on the same page on this matter.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.

I've never gotten over Wolverine defeating Lobo in DC vs Marvel.

I know, I know, fan vote.

John Stewart

Best: being put on the Justice League animated series but actual comic book moments, I gotta say becoming the first (and only) mortal to join the ranks of the Guardians. honorable mentions, him installing a fail safe in the Sinestro Corps power battery and him punching Zod in his fist mid-flight, breaking Zod's hand.

Worst: I wanna say Xanshi but I'm more annoyed with the handling of that incident and how it impedes the character's progression more that the moment itself. I'd probably say his worst moment was probably when DC decided to make him Kyle's crippled sidekic- I mean mentor for a while.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I've never gotten over Wolverine defeating Lobo in DC vs Marvel.

I know, I know, fan vote.
    Dammit, that STILL pisses me off. Now i'm gonna sit and be grouchy for the rest of the evening. That was such rubbish.

Wow. What DC does with the character of Dick Grayson is utterly disgusting.

Holly Granger (from Hawk & Dove)

Best: Becoming a member of the Teen Titans.

Worst: Being turned into a "Black Lantern" after dying at the hands of Hank Hall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Worst: About anything after Under the Red Hood and before the New 52. He was even randomly given red hair at one point.
    For me that version was my preferred post-UTRH take on the character. It felt like Morrison had properly distinguished him instead of just being yet another Bat Family character. I'm biased because I always thought the character was annoying in his Robin days and prefer him in an over-the-top villainous role. Also the Pre-Crisis Jason had red hair, and Morrison was trying to make Batman's entire history (mostly) canon. He didn't stock up on black hair dye in the afterlife

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    For me that version was my preferred post-UTRH take on the character. It felt like Morrison had properly distinguished him instead of just being yet another Bat Family character. I'm biased because I always thought the character was annoying in his Robin days and prefer him in an over-the-top villainous role. Also the Pre-Crisis Jason had red hair, and Morrison was trying to make Batman's entire history (mostly) canon. He didn't stock up on black hair dye in the afterlife
    Except Morrison had to ignore Jason's post-Crisis origins where he had dark hair in order for that to work. And the red hair only popped up during his Black Gate stint/end of his pre-Flashpoint appearances. What's more, that whole direction after UTRH was pretty counter to what Jason had been about during UTRH. He wasn't a crazed psycho. He only targeted criminals that used kids and what not. So, "it all happened" doesn't work.