Mighty Member

Default Power Pack Grow Up: Louise Simonson and June Brigman Interview

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...pack-grow-up-1

A few interesting revelations from this:
    - Simonson actually praises the editors of her time. I'm actually shocked that she did since editors are seen as the bane of many creators' existences.
    - Brigman makes me feel old. Remember the days where you physically had to go to an office and show around an art portfolio? Yeah, that's exactly how she got on this project.
    - The Pevensie kids did have some influence on Weezie when it came to the Power Pack. Not as much as the fact Weezie herself was in a set of four siblings, so...

And now, the artwork:

Last edited by U.N. Owen; 08-05-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...pack-grow-up-1

- Simonson actually praises the editors of her time. I'm actually shocked that she did since editors are seen as the bane of many creators' existences.
    That's actually not all that surprising to me. I remember a recent interview with Claremont that was highly praising of Jim Shooter despite the significant number of times they butted heads and how much Claremont hated how events drove the X-Men.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Louise Simonson started out as an editor for Warren before becoming an editor at Marvel. So when she switched over to writing, she probably already knew the other editors and knew the process enough to work well with the editorial side.

So both stories take place on the same day... which means this is the first time Gurihiru have drawn Earth-616 Power Pack, right? They've drawn the team plenty of times before, but those were AU stories. They probably shouldn't have included the Gurihiru pages in the preview at all then - some of the dialogue (the bit about floating to the rescue) seems to be spoilers for the earlier story.

Sidenote: Julie in Gurihiru's art looks like a palette swapped Nadia.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So both stories take place on the same day... which means this is the first time Gurihiru have drawn Earth-616 Power Pack, right? They've drawn the team plenty of times before, but those were AU stories.
    If we're being really technical, they did draw them in a Civil War II Choosing Sides variant cover. Granted, Alex wasn't there but I digress.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

At least the art teams here realise that Alex's and Julie's hair aren't the same shade of blonde.
    "Cable was right!"

Man, it's weird to see Gurihiru draw the Power Pack differently from their mini-series designs.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I almost forgot this was a thing. It looks fantastic, have to get my shop to pull it for me.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, it's weird to see Gurihiru draw the Power Pack differently from their mini-series designs.
    Yeah, Julie being the most drastically different, as in the minis she had longer darker hair (more red than blonde). Here, she's bobbed to match how Brigman draws her, which does make sense, as that's how she looked in the 80s and Brigman is simply using her original designs - though the colourist does seem to have got it wrong, for the reason that Julie had a different hair colour in the minis is because that WAS her hair colour back then - she's supposed to have dyed it lighter as a teen! Katie's hair should actually be lighter than pre-teen Julie's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman