Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face The Penance Stare vs these guys

The Penance Stare is one of the more unique powers out there. If Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch) was able to get hold of these guys and use the Penance Stare on them, what would hypothetically happen?

- Joker
    - Dr Doom
    - Doomsday
    - Beta Ray Bill
    - Adam Warlock
    - Odin

- Joker is anybody's guess depending on how they want to argue it.

- Dr Doom feels it but overcomes it with sheer will power and maybe magic.

- Doomsday is hard to say since, in some versions, he's a mindless monster.

- Beta Ray Bill I don't know. Thor walked through the Cold Fire, the forerunner of the Stare, like it was nothing. Not sure with Bill.

- Adam Warlock not sure.

- Odin laughs uproariously that the Ghost Rider would even have the audacity to make the attempt.
    Power with Girl is better.

Current Odin rolls on the ground screaming while Jason Aaron whispers all the bad stuff he's done into Odin's ear.

Stuff that Aaron just retconned in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Current Odin rolls on the ground screaming while Jason Aaron whispers all the bad stuff he's done into Odin's ear.

I liked how they made the hammer a sentient universe the whole time ... after just a few years ago, it had been shattered and Thor bound his life force/the Odin(Thor)force into it so that Strange could reforge it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Joker: During the Morrison run on JLA, the Martian Manhunter temporarily cured the Joker of his insanity, which caused the Joker to experience massive regret for his crimes. So I assume that the Joker would be immune to the Penance Stare unless it also made him sane.

Dr Doom: I agree that he would successfully resist the penance stare with a combination of magic and sheer willpower.

Doomsday: Depending on the version, he might be immune due to lack of sentience.

Beta Ray Bill: Though a very decent guy, I don't think that he would be immune to the penance stare.

Adam Warlock: He has been driven insane by sheer guilt before, so I think that he would be especially vulnerable to the penance stare. Heck, a first year philosophy student could probably talk Adam into experiencing overwhelming angst.

Odin: Has the penance stare ever worked on someone on Odin's power level? If not, we shouldn't assume that it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I liked how they made the hammer a sentient universe the whole time ... after just a few years ago, it had been shattered and Thor bound his life force/the Odin(Thor)force into it so that Strange could reforge it.
    Wat limit dance
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post

Don't forget having Jane Foster become the new Odin (and better and more powerful than Odin), because it wouldn't be a Jason Aaron Thor story without trying to shoehorn Jane Foster into it as an amazing powerful superstrong character.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Wat limit dance
    In Thor 600, Thor shattered Mjolnir when he killed Bor, and had Dr. Strange reforge the hammer (so he could bring Sif back from the dead). This cost him the Thorforce (it was still King Thor minus the Runes at this point) and Dr. Strange explained that now that Mjolnir was essentially his soul; if it was destroyed again, it'd kill him.

This storyline was pretty well left alone (but still canon), until Jason Aaron retconned everything. Now Mjolnir is/was 'universal girl power'.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

In Thor 600, Thor shattered Mjolnir when he killed Bor, and had Dr. Strange reforge the hammer (so he could bring Sif back from the dead). This cost him the Thorforce (it was still King Thor minus the Runes at this point) and Dr. Strange explained that now that Mjolnir was essentially his soul; if it was destroyed again, it'd kill him.

This storyline was pretty well left alone (but still canon), until Jason Aaron retconned everything. Now Mjolnir is/was 'universal girl power'.
    Yeah, I remember all the Bor stuff. I actually enjoyed most of the "Asgard on Earth" stuff.

Guess im just confused on the sentient universe hammer bit?? Didn't Aaron do the Mother Storm bit? Has it now transformed once again, or is that what you meant?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Yeah, I remember all the Bor stuff. I actually enjoyed most of the "Asgard on Earth" stuff.

Guess im just confused on the sentient universe hammer bit?? Didn't Aaron do the Mother Storm bit? Has it now transformed once again, or is that what you meant?
    Oh, yea I was just saying that Aaron retconned an interesting plot beat into "Hammer has always been an imprisoned woman cuz Odin is a chauvinistic pig".

Arx Inosaan

Oh, yea I was just saying that Aaron retconned an interesting plot beat into "Hammer has always been an imprisoned woman cuz Odin is a chauvinistic pig".
    Ok, I got you now.

You read any of the new Thor stuff? Now that he has Mjolnir again - after they beat Malekith? Im wondering if its worth picking up, or if its Aaron stuff as usual.
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    - Odin laughs uproariously that the Ghost Rider would even have the audacity to make the attempt.
    This is a stretch but in FF 243, Dr Strange confronted a weakened Galactus with all the souls he's ever consumed and it KO'd him. So if Galactus can be affected by something like that, it wouldn't be a cakewalk for Odin, right?

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    This is a stretch but in FF 243, Dr Strange confronted a weakened Galactus with all the souls he's ever consumed and it KO'd him. So if Galactus can be affected by something like that, it wouldn't be a cakewalk for Odin, right?
    Galactus was literally poisoned when this happened. It's a pretty big asterisk. Later, Prof X hits a healthy G with all the guilt, fear and hope from the Skrull homeworld population and he just shrugs.
    - big_adventure

Ok, I got you now.

You read any of the new Thor stuff? Now that he has Mjolnir again - after they beat Malekith? Im wondering if its worth picking up, or if its Aaron stuff as usual.
    Eh, more of Aaron turning Jane Foster into a sue, really.

Shattered her hammer to knock out King Lauffey's eyes, then it magically turned into a vambrace that can now be ALL weapons or something ? Anyway, she's the new Valkyrie, cuz all the dead Valkyrie's wanted her to be the new one.

Just to be perfectly clear. No I'm not reading it. Until he's off the book, idgaf.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    My all-time favorite scene from the FF cartoon:

(with the exception of Ghost Rider replacing Stephen, of course).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-07-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added a few words.