Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default Are the X-men a life long passion? have you ever thought about quitting?

I wonder if the X-men are a life long passion. I joined on 2015 and since then I can't imagine how would everything be without reading these books, it should be worst for older people with longer time invested on this.
    So i wanted to know some things if you are kind of enough to answer.

How long have you been an X-fan?

Have you ever thought about quitting or do you know people who quit?

Do you think you are going to read them until you die? what keeps you here?
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 08-22-2019 at 10:41 AM.

No, it comes and goes, I mean I lived through the Claremont era, pop in and out of Morrison and Whedon and fell off completely during the Bendis era and have come back for Hickman and so far I am good.

My first X-men comic book was bought in 2007, when I was 13.
    At college I have no time, so I left it for 4 years.

X-Fan since the Animated Series in 1993. Only really picked up comics starting around 2006-2007 with the X-23 origins, since I liked Evolution.

I have thought about quitting, especially in recent years. Nostalgia doesn't really appeal to me, and the inter-personal drama of the X-Office has driven me further away from enjoying the comics.

I stick around because I still enjoy the concepts and characters. Not sure for how much longer.

Started reading at 16-ish, just before the animated series hit. There have been times when I've had no interest in buying the books, but I've generally kept an ear out for what was happening since then. I think the only time I ever went cold turkey was just after Ben Raab was brought on as the axe man for Excalibur.

Started in 1993 with Illyana's death in UXM #303.
    Quit because of Chuck Austen.
    Came back when Illyana was resurrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I only follow a couple of characters. When they're done, I'm done. I'll miss them, but it's just fiction.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Started in the early '90s. I quit for pretty much the entirety of the 2000s. The books had gotten pretty bad by that point and I was busy with college prep so I stepped away. Then around early 2012 I got curious about what was happening in the comics, I don't remember why, the home release of First Class, maybe? Anyway I checked it out and found out they were gearing up for AvX, which, no thank you. But I also found out that Rictor and Shatterstar were kissing now? Cool. So I picked up X-Factor, and then I had a bunch of questions like why does everybody hate Cyclops? What's an M-Day? Wait, Jubilee is a what now? So I got caught up on all the stuff I missed and read whatever looked interesting, and then I joined this hellsite... er, loving community, and everybody was raving about that Claremont fellow, so I read all those issues as well, and now here I am. I'll keep reading as long as they keep making books I want to read, if nothing looks good, I'll stop. But I'll probably always stay informed at the least.

I can't remember a time before X-Men: I was introduced to the Animated Series at a very young age. I believe I jumped on with (UK Reprints of) The Arena arc in X-Treme X-Men, so I sometimes feel like I have much lower standards than most people for X-Books, but I also read Dark Phoenix Sage around the same time, so that could have been my initial point of entry (bit of a cliche though, isn't it?).

I've quit twice: first, for financial reasons, after (UK reprints of) Messiah CompleX. An expensive hobby and what felt like, at the time, a good jumping off point. Cyclops said there was no more X-Men, so I took him seriously. For all the talk about jumping on points, I find myself looking for exit points more often. The second time was partially line pessimism but was mostly because I found myself too busy and mentally overloaded with Life Stuff™ to keep up. That was just before X-Men Black/Uncanny, though I made sure to get my sense of closure with Extermination. Only now catching up on the stuff I've missed. This has been less of a 'quit' and more of a break, since previously I didn't come back until (UK reprints of) Avengers versus X-Men.

I doubt I'd ever leave for good. Except, you know, when I die.

Fan since 1990, when I was 8. There are times I've dipped out, but I'll never quit. I certainly never imagined when I was a kid that I would still be reading comics at this age, but here I am.

I was a big fan in the 90's with the cartoon, but not too into comics then. I got into comics and all things X-Men after X2 came out, but between 1993ish until 2003 I wasn't really paying any attention to anything comics related. Basketball and the Chicago Bulls ruled most of my childhood and teenage years, my passion for this hobby started in my early twenties.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

How long have you been an X-fan? Since I found comics in my older brother room, I believe it was outback era stuff

Have you ever thought about quitting or do you know people who quit? I have never quit but I have gone through periods where I am not be reading the books as close for awhile for various reasons but I always come back and reading everything that I missed

Do you think you are going to read them until you die?
    Yes, I am always going to be interested in the X-men. Luckily for me I favor team dynamics over singular characters so when the roster shifts and there is a good team concept I am always interested. Plus I am invested in some of the newer characters. It has been like 20 years for new mutants to be treated nearly like X-men mainstays and adults. I get some enjoyment when characters grow so final seeing Surge,Hellion and others as "X-men" however long it takes will be good.

Too late to quit.

Maybe when, I'm dead.

Fantastic Member

I quit in 1998 after 8 years reading. Came back when I got a free issue of X-Men Blue last year while camping for Infinity War tix on FCBD. Immediately hooked again.

Playing the meanest game of catch up now :[

Started reading in the late 80s/early 90s when I was 8, really got into it during the X-men Blue and Gold days. High School happened and then I lived in Europe for a few years and I got a bit out of touch with the series, stopping completely for a few years. Returned in earnest around the Morrison/Whedon/Fraction days and reached peak interest during the Cyclops was right phase. Eventually I left again when Bendis happened and everyone kept shitting on Scott for a few years. Then I picked up the issue when Scott came back and I’ve been reading ever since. Let’s see how long this run lasts.