Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is hilarious that Bishop is just Black Whilce Portico
    Well, Bishop WAS originally going to be Filipino or half Filipino, and that was changed before he debuted.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Actually i am now convinced Bishop is a real person and in the 80s he was in Full Force
    LOOOOOOL! Bow-legged Lou probably kicked Bishop out of the group for trying to get his mack on with Lisa Lisa.

And yes, Bishop was definitely rocking a Jheri curl. Looking like Sho'Nuff from The Last Dragon and "Achy Breaky Heart" era Billy Ray Cyrus had a lovechild. In fact, that probably should have been his name: Billy Ray Bishop.

Mighty Member

Maybe David Bond is Filippino and Bishop could have been a BLack and pino mix.. We have many out there who are just seen as Black .. example Sharon Leal, Charles Davis( the originals).

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That story with Prodigy taking over the world was like, the only story in that Academy/New X-Men crew that I actually really enjoyed. He is the only character of that generation I really would like to see more focus on(maybe Dust too but she's a Morrison).

So yes to Prodigy coming back(even with just his already absorbed knowledge/skills he is basically the perfect human, I wouldn't even repower him because we need to focus on the earlier, better model...), but Synch is the one that is most pressing. He's a Midwestern boy who loves BP and wanted to be the best X-Man in the world(and he could have been). I would put him, Monet, and Roberto in the next soapy love triangle. It would be incredible. They could be young Superman-Wonder Woman-Batman under the right writer. #blackexcellence

Okay, so other than the kids, I need Bishop to be strongly revitalized, leaning into his leadership potential in something like X-Force or X-Factor, where his detective/black ops training/experience can take center stage. I'd also like to see Manifold come into the X-fold, and you can even lean into their experiences with Gateway, and the Australian, ancient aboriginal angle they come from.

With that said, we need a new, modern African American adult male[from the present]. Bishop kinda was supposed to be that in the 90's, but he's from a weird future and he's a cop. Automatically that makes him a little hard to relate to. Bedlam was another attempt at something in this theme, but wow, his introduction in X-Force was rough!! It's like they did not want anyone to like him. He got probably the best refinement out of all characters in that last attempt revamp under Ellis just before X-Force/GenX/Excalibur all got cancelled, but it was too little too late.

I guess he could be brought back and finessed, but you have someone like Static Shock who has come up since then, though I guess it is common for DC and Marvel to copy each other. While I wouldn't mind him (and his brother, as a villain or maybe even a grey antihero like Emma/Magneto) coming back in some capacity, it might be even better to create a new black African American male character in alignment with the times; and a unique, powerful ability.
    Marvel and DC have sold characters far less relatable than that. Relatability doesn't come from backgrounds but how characters behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Marvel and DC have sold characters far less relatable than that. Relatability doesn't come from backgrounds but how characters behave.
    eh id say its their background is pretty damn important in terms of relatability most characters behavior comes into play after you've read a lil bit about them and have an idea of them in your head. Like Gaia from gen X nooot too many people clamoring for her return super powerful Nexus of all realities or w.e. she was ain't too relatable

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    eh id say its their background is pretty damn important in terms of relatability most characters behavior comes into play after you've read a lil bit about them and have an idea of them in your head. Like Gaia from gen X nooot too many people clamoring for her return super powerful Nexus of all realities or w.e. she was ain't too relatable
    Gaia popped up during the Hama days.

Not many people talk about the Hama days, period.

Spectacular Member

I just remembered a young Black character called Mukus. He appeared in the X-Men Black - Mojo issue, and is a student at the Jean Grey School with spitting powers.

I think it's his only appearance, and despite a silly power-set and comedic introduction, he's a blank slate and could be used by a good writer.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, they may be white dudes, but I don't particularly 'relate' to Superman (alien with godlike powers), Thor (an actual god, thousands of years old), Batman (was a billionaire as a teenager), Iron Man (also inherited billions as a teenager, see also Danny Rand, Warren Worthington, etc., etc.), Aquaman (Atlantean royalty), or many other characters. And I love the heck out of characters like Nightcrawler and Monica Rambeau, who are not even close to 'relatable' to me.

Not everyone needs to be Spider-Man, and be an everyman. Some can be Wakandan kings, which literally nobody can relate to, and still be awesome.

Image is important.

Do Bishop and Gambit even cook for the X-Men anymore? Another reason for Jesse to return to the fold. He's got the chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, they may be white dudes, but I don't particularly 'relate' to Superman (alien with godlike powers), Thor (an actual god, thousands of years old), Batman (was a billionaire as a teenager), Iron Man (also inherited billions as a teenager, see also Danny Rand, Warren Worthington, etc., etc.), Aquaman (Atlantean royalty), or many other characters. And I love the heck out of characters like Nightcrawler and Monica Rambeau, who are not even close to 'relatable' to me.

Not everyone needs to be Spider-Man, and be an everyman. Some can be Wakandan kings, which literally nobody can relate to, and still be awesome.
    There are aspirational characters and there are relatable characters(and the best are a bit of both). Superman may be a uberpowerful alien, but he is also a handsome white-looking farm boy from middle America and a journalist who speaks English. No, you're not as rich, smart, badass, or as hot as Batman, but you wish you could be. Same for WW. That's what makes for a high-access superhero. Aspirational aspects, and relatable aspects. This is why Spider-Man is such a perennial hit. Sure, he can zip around the city and lift cars and such, but he also is the boy next door who's not sure he can pay his rent on time(at least classically), worrying about his family and girlfriend and so forth.

With Bishop as a mutant police from a dystopian future, he doesn't really have those same relatable qualities that ground our otherwise fantastic/unattainable heroes. Certainly it is not impossible to write or create something out of left field that lots of people still like, but the best fiction is grounded in reality. And in terms of a relatable African American X-Man, Bishop: is not even really African American(at least now), being actually an Australian Aboriginal, doesn't have a relatable backstory, and his police background is actually triggering in some regards(especially when he's focused as a mutant cop hunting mutants), so in this understanding, he is a poor example of an ideal. Which is why I suggested they bring back Synch, refocus on some of the other existing POC males, and perhaps make a brand new male with these ideas in mind.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

I don't think there's anything wrong with using Bishop's background and persona in story. It's gotten him more story pre-Messiah Complex, IMO, since he was first reconceived. You can slot him into any kind of mystery/noir story. So long as you make it clear - and perhaps actively work into story - the difference between the world he policed and the world he lives in now as a man of color, I don't see an issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Well, Bishop WAS originally going to be Filipino or half Filipino, and that was changed before he debuted.
    Really? And, here I thought he was originally going to be an Australian and his mother Ororo.
    Last edited by Shreene; 08-17-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Really? And, here I thought he was originally going to be an Australian and his mother Ororo.
    both of you are right

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    If Synch does come back I need him to grow his hair and get it cut by Miles Morales' barber. Miles Morales KEEPS a fresh cut.

Attachment 85514
    Miles got the crispiest fade in comics next to John Stewart
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8