Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I don't need all that.

Just give him a healing factor, make him damn near immortal

Maybe let him have an exoskeleton he can throw up like an actual roach

Let his maggots be able to size change
    How about he has the power to transfer his consciousness into a maggot he creates and he can grow back into his human form after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How about he has the power to transfer his consciousness into a maggot he creates and he can grow back into his human form after a while.
    I figured that was how he came back

There's also the forgotten plot point of Maggotts slugs being possibly related to the N'Garai which could be explored.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

"Maggot" is a terrible name.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    "Maggot" is a terrible name.
    no worse than names like 'Deadpool' or 'Banshee'

Speaking of exposure, characters like Sunfire, Forge, Snych, Warpath and Prodigy should be appearing in these new crops of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    no worse than names like 'Deadpool' or 'Banshee'

1. Japheth describes Eenie and Meanie as "slugs" not "maggots".
    2. There are TWO "maggots" not one, suggesting that Japheth himself is the maggot.
    3. Maggots are an animal associated with negative, repulsive, dead and therefore inanimate things.
    4. It rhymes with the homosexual slur "faggot".

While I'll grant you "Maggot" qualifies as a mutant name or even an X-Man callsign, it is not a name suggesting heroic or villainous intent. We can continue to debate the relative value of Japheth(they didn't even give him a surname), or we can suggest ways to make him the kind of hero or villain people look forward to seeing, using, and being for Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    1. Replace Magneto- Not literally replace Magneto but Magneto is probably the most important character in the whole franchise. He has no good replacement and the franchise is at best when they are three compelling arguments Peaceful coexistence, By any means necessary protect yourself and Mutants represent a threat. Those three things interacting with each other you can write comics on forever. Without compelling mutant threat, the X-men fall apart. While the X-men have Cyclops and Jean Grey, or even Wolverine, Storm and Kitty. Magneto has no who can step in and fill that void. Now that Magneto is "Bad" again the need an heir to the throne so to speak.
    Ever since KB suggested Shola Inkose could be a bona fide villainous threat, I've been workshopping him using the name Dynamo. That's a seemingly heroic name mirroring the sibilance of "Magneto", but could easily be portrayed in books as a villainous mutant symbol LIKE Magneto, were he to employ his telekinesis to do the kind of murder we all seem to want in Dark Phoenix films.

Black, helmeted, caped, and dangerous, Shola could be the mutant Killmonger the X-Books need in the 21st century.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 08-23-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Mighty Member

2. There are TWO "maggots" not one, suggesting that Japheth himself is the maggot.
    3. Maggots are an animal associated with negative, repulsive, dead and therefore inanimate things.

While I'll grant you "Maggot" qualifies as a mutant name or even an X-Man callsign, it is not a name suggesting heroic or villainous intent. We can continue to debate the relative value of Japheth(they didn't even give him a surname), or we can suggest ways to make him the kind of hero or villain people look forward to seeing, using, and being for Halloween.

Ever since KB suggested Shola Inkose could be a bona fide villainous threat, I've been workshopping him using the name Dynamo. That's a seemingly heroic name mirroring the sibilance of "Magneto", but could easily be portrayed in books as a villainous mutant symbol LIKE Magneto, were he to employ his telekinesis to do the kind of murder we all seem to want in Dark Phoenix films.

Black, helmeted, caped, and dangerous, Shola could be the mutant Killmonger the X-Books need in the 21st century.
    Yeah Shola def deserves some love. Also Kind Bedlam should get used ( is he even still alive). Talking about Shola as a villain made me wonder why Moses Magnum was not used more. He could have been a great X men long term villain. A great foil to Magneto and foe to Storm.

I mean a Nightcrawler is a kind of worm, Wolfsbane is a poisonous flower, a Banshee is a female spirit. Mutant names aren't always accurate.

It just seems weird to change Maggot's name now after 20 years

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I mean a Nightcrawler is a kind of worm, Wolfsbane is a poisonous flower, a Banshee is a female spirit. Mutant names aren't always accurate.

That's hasn't stopped Marvel before.
    • Siryn eventually became Banshee
    • Monet is now Penance
    • Psylocke is Captain Britain.

All of whom are bigger characters than Maggott, so the change wouldn't be as drastic.

I see Maggot as an awesome name, especially for a mutant.

Cyclops is associated with negative connotations.
    Leech is associated with negative connotations.
    Rogue is associated with negative connotations.
    Beast is associated with negative connotations.
    Havok is associated with negative connotations.
    Debris is associated with negative connotations.
    Poltergeist is associated with negative connotations.
    Banshee is associated with negative connotations.
    Nightcrawler is associated with negative connotations.

Code names for mutants that have negative connotations relates to them being mutants much in the way homosexuals have embraced the word “queer”

As a gay male I never once associated Maggot’s code name with the f word.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

I described the name as terrible, and listed my reasons. They my reasons, not Marvel's.

My goalposts for this discussion are probably different than the OP. Having monstrous mutants as roster filler and wallpaper faces is one thing, but X-Men need more active, powerful, and heroic males of color in positions of prominence. I feel the name and the powers are detrimental to that goal. Others don't agree. That's fine.

It's also why I try to steer the conversation toward mutants who have the potential for that level of prominence: Bishop, Darwin, Shola, Bedlam, Prodigy.

BANNED

I think you can have Maggott and his wondrous batshit self and have more conventionally designed mutants of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    That's hasn't stopped Marvel before.
    • Siryn eventually became Banshee
    • Monet is now Penance
    • Psylocke is Captain Britain.

All of whom are bigger characters than Maggott, so the change wouldn't be as drastic.
    Monet and Psylocke started with those names though.

And Siryn changed her name again to Morrigan and fell off the face of the planet.

I really feels a way about people wanting to erase Maggot of his identity! His powers, his name, his origin, etc...all make him rathher unique. These attempts to make him more generic do the character a disservice and Im against the erasure