Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Don't forget M's perfect skin. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Just need a mutant with powers related to blood
    Adam-X The X-Treme cuts others to then ignite their blood.
    A mutant who cuts themselves to utilize their blood powers might be a bit problematic.

On topic... It would be awesome to see existing minor black male characters get more push and exposure. I remember being a teenager when Generation X came out, and it was nice to see Synch portrayed as a nice, competent, young black man with cool powers. More people of all persuasions need that feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In theory, he had acidic sweat, but his intro was *sitting in a hot tub* with some human fans and using his power to generate an explosive blast and blow the roof off. If his power was *actually* somehow involving sweat turning to acid, he would have killed the ladies he was with rather gruesomely. Like many of the characters created during that run, the text explanations and what was actually happening on the panel often seemed to be completely unrelated, as if the artist and writer were not only in different rooms, or on different coasts, but also had never actually spoken to each other.

Still, acid sweat, acid vomit, etc. still seems more palatable than 'Clive Barker's X-Men,' the kids from Generation X, who had a dude with too much skin (Skin), a girl who rips her skin off (Husk), another dude who blew half of his face and chest off (Chamber) and another girl with no skin at all and diamond hard flesh (Penance). Yeesh. Shoulda added Marrow, for some 'ripping my bones out and stabbing people with them' action, or Maggott for 'my two stomachs burrow forth and go eat stuff' powers, just to gross it up a little more. That would give us bones, vomit, skin, stomachs, etc. Just need a mutant with powers related to blood or poop now.
    Doesn’t Adam X cover the blood topic?

All-New Member

I think they could bring back Neal Shaara .

Also is Nightcrawler not a person of color? He was born blue.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun2de View Post
    I think they could bring back Neal Shaara .

Also is Nightcrawler not a person of color? He was born blue.
    Nightcrawler is white,His powers have been shut off several times and he is white man. Beside making the minority the different color person is cop out in away. I mean Nightcrawler carries the racial minority view in the X-men world as people always see him as mutant but in reimaging a franchise going with Thing,Beast or Nightcrawler also makes the minority character the monster and white characters as the pretty ones.

Nighcrawler is a minority but I would not call him a person of color bc that term specifically refers to ethnic minorities which, he technically is not. With that said, I wouldnt call him white either as he's never been able to benefit from white privilege bc of his mutations and the few times that was shut off, were too short and insignificant to count

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Nighcrawler is a minority but I would not call him a person of color bc that term specifically refers to ethnic minorities which, he technically is not. With that said, I wouldnt call him white either as he's never been able to benefit from white privilege bc of his mutations and the few times that was shut off, were too short and insignificant to count
    German is an ethnic group, too.

Is Nightcrawler a minority in this regard in Germany? Nope.

In America? I’m willing to entertain discussion.

This is an inside/outside question.

From the INSIDE, Nightcrawler is so mutated that he cannot operate in white spaces, despite his non-X-genes. He cannot operate in public spaces without being seen and understood as a monster or mutant. He qualifies as a mutant as his primary minority, whereas mutants like Iceman would probably qualify as majority because his mutant abilities are triggered. In any case, these are fictional qualifications for fictional persons.

From the OUTSIDE, the request is for mutants to represent the experience of persons of color, which are factual qualifications for fictional persons. Nightcrawler, with his German(historically white European) heritage, upbringing, and references, does not fit this request. I'm sure there will be those that try to split hairs and argue otherwise.

BANNED

Isn’t it infinitely more weird when we factor in that Nightcrawler is like...half demon (or whatever), anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Isn’t it infinitely more weird when we factor in that Nightcrawler is like...half demon (or whatever), anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    In any case, these are fictional qualifications for fictional persons.

From the OUTSIDE, the request is for mutants to represent the experience of persons of color, which are factual qualifications for fictional persons.
    Unless you think demons are real, and resemble Nightcrawler.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I always thought Maggott would make an excellent Pestillence. The pier upgrade of him being an insectiopath insect-o-morph is a logical progression for his unique Powerset.

Mighty Member

As far as Maggot, I would love a secondary mutation where he lost the slugs and tweaked his powers to make them unique but not absurd.

And M, I almost wish we could frame her mutation as perfection since Hickman seems to be pushing categorizing powers.. What would her mutant power classification even be?

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    As far as Maggot, I would love a secondary mutation where he lost the slugs and tweaked his powers to make them unique but not absurd.

And M, I almost wish we could frame her mutation as perfection since Hickman seems to be pushing categorizing powers.. What would her mutant power classification even be?
    She's a Sociopathé.

I’ve always felt Warpath, M, Beast, and others with super-“bodies” all shared the same mutant power, but each branched off in different ways. Beast never developed flight, but instead grew enhanced hands and feet. Warpath never developed the intellect like the others, but grew super-senses. M’s developed perfectly, granting intellect, strength, invulnerability, flight.

M doesn’t need psychic powers. That’s the first thing I’d take away. I *would* make all three invulnerable to telepathy as a trade off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post

Then he loses what makes him unique and he wouldnt be Maggot

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I’ve always felt Warpath, M, Beast, and others with super-“bodies” all shared the same mutant power, but each branched off in different ways. Beast never developed flight, but instead grew enhanced hands and feet. Warpath never developed the intellect like the others, but grew super-senses. M’s developed perfectly, granting intellect, strength, invulnerability, flight.

M doesn’t need psychic powers. That’s the first thing I’d take away. I *would* make all three invulnerable to telepathy as a trade off, though.
    Id keep M's TP. Its not like it makes her OP or anything and she's nowhere near the power scale. What I would take away is the TK. Its unnecesary and thankfully most writers dont use i

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Then he loses what makes him unique and he wouldnt be Maggot
    Thats the point lol. If we had a lot of Black male characters then he could stay as he is but with the limited rep in the x books.Every Brotha needs to be at his best. We dont have time for no clown like characters. His original visual was dope but then as we got into they made him a joke.. This also happened with Random too.