Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default More eXposure to male X-men of color?

So even Hickman has admitted the X-men lack representation of POC.
    I feel that's an even bigger problem when it comes to male characters.
    Bishop was for a long time one of the most prominent and he was character assassinated and limboed for years.
    Now he's finally back for good and we're also seeing the return of some unexpected characters like Mondo, but there's still room for improvement.

Which characters do you miss the most and think need some more exposure?

Number one on my list is Synch:

He needs to return as a full fledged X-men now that his teammates are finally getting their due again.
    Last edited by Factor; 08-06-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

He needs to return as a full fledged X-men now that his teammates are finally getting their due again.
    That beautiful rainbow aura omg that visual sent me soaring.
    Synch returning would be divine. Literally. I'd be very curious to see how a resurrected Everett would react/behave in today's climate. Pacifist? Activist? Teacher? Loner? Grumpy? Good natured? WHAT??

Also, I'd still love to see Roberto rise in the ranks of X and retain that same level of Big Dick Energy he was serving while an Avenger.

I'd also very much enjoy seeing Hindsight & Hijack (both HI.....hmm how about that) not left on the shelf.
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-06-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Anyone remember that time when they introduced an All-New All-Different team of X-Men, and within seconds all but one of the PoC characters had either quit or been killed off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Anyone remember that time when they introduced an All-New All-Different team of X-Men, and within seconds all but one of the PoC characters had either quit or been killed off?
    Wasn’t that the Hunt for Xavier in the 90s w/Bachalo on art? The one where the X-men were replaced. The assembled team included the “Grey” King? Some of the recruits were imaginary or something?

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Wasn’t that the Hunt for Xavier in the 90s w/Bachalo on art? The one where the X-men were replaced. The assembled team included the “Grey” King? Some of the recruits were imaginary or something?
    Nah, I'm alluding to Giant-Size. Only Storm stuck around at all from the initial line-up. Imagine if they'd picked Wolverine to kill off out of the two surly lone-wolf tough guys though.

Also, X-Men comprisess basically most of the X-Men characters. I'm not sure how many PoCs that encompasses, but it's definitely more than zero.

I totally agree I've always noticed the lack of diversity in the male members of the X-Men vs the females. I'm excited to see whats to come from Rictor in Excalibur, glad Bishop is back and hopefully not in a villainous or double-crossing/crazy fashion. I'd like Sunfire to really have a comeback though! It always seems like his AoA version was more popular than 616.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Spectacular Member

Agreed on all of the above, especially Synch, who needs to return now. Bedlam could use an immediate resurrection as well, and Bobby and Bishop are always deserving of wider recognition. I'd add to the list Skin, Prodigy, Gentle, Warpath, Darwin, Wiz Kid, Manifold (been established a Mutant, so lets seem work with other Mutants other than Gateway), Goldballs, Indra and Thunderbird.

And now that they're back, I want both Xorn Bros. to stick around representing Chinese Mutants.

Also, the Director's Cut of House of X #1 mentioned Gateway, so hopefully his return is imminent too. I love him.
    Last edited by ISnowNothin; 08-06-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Sunfire deserves a big break.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    Agreed on all of the above, especially Synch, who needs to return now. Bedlam could use an immediate resurrection as well, and Bobby and Bishop are always deserving of wider recognition. I'd add to the list Skin, Prodigy, Gentle, Warpath, Darwin, Wiz Kid, Manifold (been established a Mutant, so lets seem work with other Mutants other than Gateway), Goldballs, Indra and Thunderbird.

And now that they're back, I want both Xorn Bros. to stick around representing Chinese Mutants.

Also, the Director's Cut of House of X #1 mentioned Gateway, so hopefully his return is imminent too. I love him.
    Oh yeah, more Bedlam, Synch, Bishop, Sunfire, Rictor and / or Sunspot, definitely. Of your additions, I'd love to see more Goldballs and Indra, particularly, although a slightly more all-growed-up Wiz Kid, 'walking' with an exo-skeletal set of braces that he controls with his powers, and retaining some knowledge of sorcery from his time building a 'spellchecker' for Nastirh (sp?), could be fun (and sort of ignoring that he's a few years older, several decades later, while Leech remains a small child, 'cause, comics...).

Shola would also be a good character to bring back.

Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Synch was my dude. Hell yeah.

This guy

If you want to realize how ridiculous he can be read this "Prodigy"

It looks like the X-men finally are moving away from Beast being the only smart guy around with Cypher and Sage but Prodigy should be in the mix too.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This guy

If you want to realize how ridiculous he can be read this "Prodigy"

It looks like the X-men finally are moving away from Beast being the only smart guy around with Cypher and Sage but Prodigy should be in the mix too.
    That story with Prodigy taking over the world was like, the only story in that Academy/New X-Men crew that I actually really enjoyed. He is the only character of that generation I really would like to see more focus on(maybe Dust too but she's a Morrison).

So yes to Prodigy coming back(even with just his already absorbed knowledge/skills he is basically the perfect human, I wouldn't even repower him because we need to focus on the earlier, better model...), but Synch is the one that is most pressing. He's a Midwestern boy who loves BP and wanted to be the best X-Man in the world(and he could have been). I would put him, Monet, and Roberto in the next soapy love triangle. It would be incredible. They could be young Superman-Wonder Woman-Batman under the right writer. #blackexcellence

Okay, so other than the kids, I need Bishop to be strongly revitalized, leaning into his leadership potential in something like X-Force or X-Factor, where his detective/black ops training/experience can take center stage. I'd also like to see Manifold come into the X-fold, and you can even lean into their experiences with Gateway, and the Australian, ancient aboriginal angle they come from.

With that said, we need a new, modern African American adult male[from the present]. Bishop kinda was supposed to be that in the 90's, but he's from a weird future and he's a cop. Automatically that makes him a little hard to relate to. Bedlam was another attempt at something in this theme, but wow, his introduction in X-Force was rough!! It's like they did not want anyone to like him. He got probably the best refinement out of all characters in that last attempt revamp under Ellis just before X-Force/GenX/Excalibur all got cancelled, but it was too little too late.

I guess he could be brought back and finessed, but you have someone like Static Shock who has come up since then, though I guess it is common for DC and Marvel to copy each other. While I wouldn't mind him (and his brother, as a villain or maybe even a grey antihero like Emma/Magneto) coming back in some capacity, it might be even better to create a new black African American male character in alignment with the times; and a unique, powerful ability.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 08-06-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm completely with Yoga on this.
    Time to create a new Black male mutant superhero (he doesn't have to be American-been there...or even African-done that)...as we have some hawtt Black men right here in the Caribbean)