Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    As far as prominent, male people of color in the 2000s? There are frankly very few that have ever gotten spotlight, I can list them on one hand: Prodigy, Gentle, Indra, Genesis. All of the other prominent PoC students were girls.
    I wouldn't count any of these as real spotlights,If you aren't the main team getting real burn then it takes something significant to be called a true spotlight, I think Warpath( X-force, Astonishing, Weapon-X,etc) Sunspot(Avengers and what every X-book he was in) that is about it. If your character can't be seen as real X-man or adult you are dead in the water on the X-men.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I wouldn't count any of these as real spotlights,If you aren't the main team getting real burn then it takes something significant to be called a true spotlight, I think Warpath( X-force, Astonishing, Weapon-X,etc) Sunspot(Avengers and what every X-book he was in) that is about it. If your character can't be seen as real X-man or adult you are dead in the water on the X-men.
    We were specifically referring to characters that were created in the 00's, to be fair, but otherwise I mostly agree with you about this. With that criteria the only ones that really would count are Gentle and Genesis.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I feel like beyond being a meme of a character that Goldballs never really amounted to much, to be completely frank.

As for Hindsight... eh. Everything about his character in Generation X was just a romance arc, where his Jewish/White love interest got the lion's share of the focus.
    He's not exactly my favorite character, but there's something to be said about a heavyset Hispanic superhero with a fairly unique and useful power. And he's got a great individual costume (which you can't really say about most X-Kids) and he was Miles Morales' roommate. He's got the makings of a new Firestar or Justice, a mutant wants a life outside of mutant politics.

Ben Deeds was Jewish?

goldballs not staying in miles' supporting cast will always be mega wack
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Goldballs is pretty cool. I like him. He took down Hammerhead in delicious Bazaldua art and was designed by Bachalo tha God himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Krakoa pod by Xavier or Shi'ar Golem if Moira needed someone with his powers with whatever it is she's doing.
    I (sadly) haven’t caught up reading HoX/PoX yet, but I guess that works too.

in THE 90's Marvel had much more potential of a newly introduced X-Male becoming important in the larger X-Mythos than today. Which is kiiiinda more than a lil sucky considering there were only 4 or 5 POC X-Males.

le
    sigh

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    He's not exactly my favorite character, but there's something to be said about a heavyset Hispanic superhero with a fairly unique and useful power. And he's got a great individual costume (which you can't really say about most X-Kids) and he was Miles Morales' roommate. He's got the makings of a new Firestar or Justice, a mutant wants a life outside of mutant politics.
    I know that it's damning with faint praise, given how little I like most of the post New X-Men young mutants that have been introduced 'lately' (Hope, 'the Lights,' Ben Deeds, Hijack, Triage, etc.), but Goldballs is easily my favorite of 'his generation' along with one or two others, like Genesis, Transonic, Shark Girl and Nature Girl.

Add Evan 'Genesis' to the POC males I wouldn't mind seeing more of, although his unique coloration makes it harder to see him as traditionally POC. (He's also an exception to my usual kneejerk dislike of kid versions of adult characters, like 'Kid Krakoa' or 'Kid Gladiator' or past teen versions of Magneto (Joseph) or Emma (the Cuckoos). Who's next? Teen Selene? Kid Ahab? The Shadow Prince? Lil' Mojo? Ugh.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-09-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Goldballs is pretty cool. I like him. He took down Hammerhead in delicious Bazaldua art and was designed by Bachalo tha God himself.

Bendis run had 2 new men of color that were good characters. Balls and Hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Bendis run had 2 new men of color that were good characters. Balls and Hijack.
    I wouldn't exactly call Hijack a good character

I'm hesitant to even call him a character.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Hijack at this point feels like a poor man's Forge or even Trinary, and that makes me sad. He wasn't a character. He was a function.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

I'll admit I couldn't be bothered to take Bendis' new characters seriously bc

a) the books always get way too many more newbies to ultimately be ignored every relaunch - even the Gen X kids have struggled to find a place, and the New Mutants/X-Force have had many strides and reversals over the years. If you'd told me to distinguish between many of the background New X-Men/Academy X, Generation Hope, etc. I probably couldn't do it. A lot of them never needed to exist.
    b) I never felt Bendis was a good fit for the books or cared much about them, so he was just going to write for anyone he wanted and do his Bendis-speak for the rest. Starting with his n00bs. But there were a few interesting concepts in there, including Goldballs.

That said I am a big fan of Evan/Genesis, Broo, etc. and I quite like Anole and Rockslide, so I have my blind spots.

Repower Windshear and make him a prominent character.

None of Bendis’ kids had a personality besides Tempus and maybe Goldballs. I do appreciate the amount of MOC on the team, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    None of Bendis’ kids had a personality besides Tempus and maybe Goldballs. I do appreciate the amount of MOC on the team, though.
    Tempus had interesting (and kind of book-breaking) powers. Personality, eeehhhhhh.