Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    They can definitely do better on representation, but yeah, a lot of those characters just haven't broken through because they're kind of crap. Would love to see more of Bishop, Sunspot, Sunfire and Rictor.
    Sunspot — charming guy w/cool powers, lost-love Julia, and reluctant ties to the Hellfire Club. That could be mined for stories.

All the other characters lack depth. Bishop is just another guy from future w/gun. Sunfire was always pissed off and arrogant for unspecified reasons. Rictor, like most 90s kids, was just “there.”

Not saying those characters couldn’t be developed but X-men needs characters that go beyond the “plot + posing” formula. I mean, that’s basically all the X-movies. 1. Character arrives, 2. stands in formation / checks out each other’s look, and then 3. “showing what they can do.”

For example, not male but Storm was an amazing character because of her personal journey. She has the potential film-wise to rival Logan. Comes to America after being worshipped as goddess. Gets humbled/tested in various ways. Gets REALLY humbled by losing powers. Proceeds to shave head, kick ass, and earn power as leader of X-men and underground mutants. Then develops an unhealthy relationship w/a Tom Selleck moustache. Put THAT on the big screen!
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-06-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    Agreed on all of the above, especially Synch, who needs to return now. Bedlam could use an immediate resurrection as well, and Bobby and Bishop are always deserving of wider recognition. I'd add to the list Skin, Prodigy, Gentle, Warpath, Darwin, Wiz Kid, Manifold (been established a Mutant, so lets seem work with other Mutants other than Gateway), Goldballs, Indra and Thunderbird.

And now that they're back, I want both Xorn Bros. to stick around representing Chinese Mutants.

Also, the Director's Cut of House of X #1 mentioned Gateway, so hopefully his return is imminent too. I love him.
    Oh yeah, more Bedlam, Synch, Bishop, Sunfire, Rictor and / or Sunspot, definitely. Of your additions, I'd love to see more Goldballs and Indra, particularly, although a slightly more all-growed-up Wiz Kid, 'walking' with an exo-skeletal set of braces that he controls with his powers, and retaining some knowledge of sorcery from his time building a 'spellchecker' for Nastirh (sp?), could be fun (and sort of ignoring that he's a few years older, several decades later, while Leech remains a small child, 'cause, comics...).

This guy

If you want to realize how ridiculous he can be read this "Prodigy"

It looks like the X-men finally are moving away from Beast being the only smart guy around with Cypher and Sage but Prodigy should be in the mix too.

Shola would also be a good character to bring back.

Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    They can definitely do better on representation, but yeah, a lot of those characters just haven't broken through because they're kind of crap. Would love to see more of Bishop, Sunspot, Sunfire and Rictor.
    I applaud you for your courage to speak this truth...
    The Sunspot, Sunfire and maybe Rictor to me have A-list potential, add Warpath.

Also whoever just said Prodigy - big yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Sunspot — charming guy w/cool powers, lost-love Julia, and reluctant ties to the Hellfire Club. That could be mined for stories.

All the other characters lack depth. Bishop is just another guy from future w/gun. Sunfire was always pissed off and arrogant for unspecified reasons. Rictor, like most 90s kids, was just “there.”

Not saying those characters couldn’t be developed but X-men needs characters that go beyond the “plot + posing” formula. I mean, that’s basically all the X-movies. 1. Character arrives, 2. stands in formation / checks out each other’s look, and then 3. “showing what they can do.”

For example, not male but Storm was an amazing character because of her personal journey. She has the potential film-wise to rival Logan. Comes to America after being worshipped as goddess. Gets humbled/tested in various ways. Gets REALLY humbled by losing powers. Proceeds to shave head, kick ass, and earn power as leader of X-men and underground mutants. Then develops an unhealthy relationship w/a Tom Selleck moustache. Put THAT on the big screen!
    Rictor - As a kid was hooked up to a machine as a weapon. Had a relationship with a prominent member of the New Mutants. Had a tumultuous relationship with Cable. Loses his abilities, and has to learn how to live without them and how to be useful without them. Comes out of the closet and has Marvel's first Male/Male kiss depiction....

It's not that these character's lack depth, it's that they get overshadowed by the more 'popular' characters. Even when they get used by writers who don't have a passion for them, they become hollow stereotypes or tropes.

EDIT: It seems the consensus here is that Bishop, Sunfire, Rictor, Prodigy and Sunspot are the ones we'd like to see more of. And I'm so down for all of them.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

One thing I was going to suggest is Bishop should find himself. Like legit, find the 6-7 year old Lucas who would one day grow up and become 40+ year old Bishop. Could call him Pawn and everything. I know kids don’t do well as part of these teams, but it would give Bishop a unique responsibility and opportunity to fulfill all those “if you could go back and tell yourself blah blah blah” anecdotes. He needs telepathy resistance and to get rid of the guns.

His police and detective training makes him a great asset to any public-facing mutant squad. It’s why I paired him with Betsy in Excalibur. She’s a model heiress turned superhero, he’s an American cop with powers.

BANNED

I'd like to see Sunspot graduate to a senior position, but given that he's heading off to space it looks like he's not part of Hickman's early plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Number one on my list is Synch:

He needs to return as a full fledged X-men now that his teammates are finally getting their due again.
    Synch is definitely number 1 on my list. Love that guy. Would also want Skin to return and for Sunfire to get a proper run with the X-Men.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    I'd like to see Sunspot graduate to a senior position, but given that he's heading off to space it looks like he's not part of Hickman's early plans.
    Hickman is writing New Mutants, I would say he is heavily part of Hickman's plan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicisnovel View Post
    I applaud you for your courage to speak this truth...
    The Sunspot, Sunfire and maybe Rictor to me have A-list potential, add Warpath.

Also whoever just said Prodigy - big yes.
    An opinion is not a truth. I will not tolerate Synch slander.. Even though Maggott has dumb ass powers, he has a place.. Fantomex powers are just as laughable but folks kept his ass in books. No crappy characters, just trash writers..

1.Shola- This guy had loads of potential.. Give him his powers back and give him a good role.
    2. Synch- He was the first Black x guy I saw myself in.
    3. Maggot- Not my cup of tea but he could be interesting. He has a story to be told. TO think about being a mutant and living with Apartheid. He is South African.. What an interesting perspective he could bring for the team.. He could be fixed with a nifty secondary mutation.
    4. Bedlam- He worked well. I loved him in AOA and was happy to see him in Xforce.. He needs his just do..
    5. Gold Ball- silly power but he needs a story. He is a brown latinx that has a non traditional body type in comics. Let him be.
    6. Hijack- racially, I am not even sure.. I see Black and Asian mix but thats me.. He could fit on many a team.
    7. Triage- He as potential. He is still a blank slate.. He manipulates life force and makes zombies so its really easy to differentiate him fro Elixir.
    8. Neal- He needs a new name. Great look, nice power set. Poor little rich boy narrative could be explored easily.. Put him on Excalibur and it could connect to the colonial ties between India and England.
    9. Wiz Kid- Yes, he needs some love. He should have been apart of the science team.
    10.Gentle- He has been fleshed out a bit. I hope he doesnt go back to limbo to languish. But if the x books dont use him I hope who ever writes Black Panther and Shuri will.
    11. Indra-Interesting power set.. He reminds me so much of a young nightcrawler. Mike Carey did a good job of fleshing him out. He needs to get some love.
    12. Match- At first it seemed like it was fanon that he was Black. But then he was played by a Black actor in Dark phx. Maybe he is, maybe he aint, but if he is.. He should be more than wallpaper.
    13. Warpath- Yes, he is great. But him being great does not negate the potential in other characters. I miss the low cut hair look though.
    14.Prodigy- he could be so much. He just needs to be utilized regularly. I still want him to be re powered one day.

Maggot is in the weird category. And Glob Herman and Eyeboy, for example, are just appearing in books because they are freaky weird. Other than age group there is no reason to use Glob Herman over Maggot both of them are weird guys with super strength
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-06-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Maggot is young enough to experience a secondary mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Hickman is writing New Mutants, I would say he is heavily part of Hickman's plan.
    Hickman only writing the first issue

Maggot's powers are fine, It is straight-up super strength and enhanced human abilities aka Captian America or Black Panther. His power source is just weird 2 slug/maggot/worms things collect energy for him to do that via eating. Maggot beyond the super-strength stuff, Maggot is excellent infiltration/tracking candidate because of psychic link to his slugs. All Maggot needs a useful skill to increase his versatility make him a bounty hunter, medic or something he is good.

People don't seem to understand a lot of these characters are being written with no swagger, no competence with their power and no charisma. Give Maggot or Darwin wolverine attitude "I am badest mfer on the planet" watch how fans react then. Wolverine, Cable, Deadpool, Gambit, Fantomex, Cyclops are these amazingly confident characters go through list PoC males and see how many of them are these passive and swaggerless characters.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-06-2019 at 08:33 AM.