Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    As a Black man, I'm gonna need my homie SYNCH to come back!
    No doubt, when Synch came on the scene it was the first time I thought a black man could potentially be the most powerful mutant on Earth. Even as a youngster that very possibility filled me with so much hope and pride.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    No doubt, when Synch came on the scene it was the first time I thought a black man could potentially be the most powerful mutant on Earth. Even as a youngster that very possibility filled me with so much hope and pride.
    Yes, Yes, Yes!!! His debut being surrounded by cops with guns on him really hits different in this climate we are in.. He really could have been special. And even those lil tidbits of Bishop being low key shook that Synch was so confidant. Synch really did the damn thing with folks powers.. Holding on Sabertooth's mass, using Jubilee to explode things at the molecular level, flying with Chamber's ability only to die while synched to Monet's powers which includes invulnerability and healing factor.. I will say I did hate how they adjusted his abilities from Uncanny XMen in his intro to Gen X.. I always wonder if they did that to appeal to a younger demo..
    Last edited by Paleo_Rage; 08-06-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Synch. No question. He was the second Black male main cast member of all the X-Books. And his death was bull, basically fridging him. He and the M-Twins had best entrance out of everyone in Gen X.

I seriously think Wood/Ellis did a disservice not only killing him off but cutting off the will they/won't they with Jubilee. I'd have even gone with a proper triangle with M.

I'm also going to say Skin. His death was bunk. As far as I'm concerned, that "wanting to get naked with him" thing never happened with Jubilee... never mind that last name he was buried with. He and Husk were awesome playing off each other. And we never got an idea what was going down with Tores and Emma.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    Synch. No question. He was the second Black male main cast member of all the X-Books. And his death was bull, basically fridging him. He and the M-Twins had best entrance out of everyone in Gen X.

I seriously think Wood/Ellis did a disservice not only killing him off but cutting off the will they/won't they with Jubilee. I'd have even gone with a proper triangle with M.

I'm also going to say Skin. His death was bunk. As far as I'm concerned, that "wanting to get naked with him" thing never happened with Jubilee... never mind that last name he was buried with. He and Husk were awesome playing off each other. And we never got an idea what was going down with Tores and Emma.
    You mean Third.. First Black male was Roberto, then Bishop, then Synch

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Yes, Yes, Yes!!! His debut being surrounded by cops with guns on him really hits different in this climate we are in.. He really could have been special. And even those lil tidbits of Bishop being low key shook that Synch was so confidant. Synch really did the damn thing with folks powers.. Holding on Sabertooth's mass, using Jubilee to explode things at the molecular level, flying with Chamber's ability only to die while synched to Monet's powers which includes invulnerability and healing factor.. I will say I did hate how they adjusted his abilities from Uncanny XMen in his intro to Gen X.. I always wonder if they did that to apply to a younger demo..
    He's from St. Louis, of which Ferguson is also a suburb(rest in peace Michael Brown). Synch could be a powerful statement in the current era, but Marvel sleeping at the wheel....

And while Synch's death was a needless tragedy, it was explicitly explained in the issue that he was too far away from Monet and was completely powerless when the bomb went off. Of course, yes, in his full potential he should have been an omega level power manipulator beyond what Hope does, in that his aura should have retained all the abilities he synched with, but he just wasn't pushed that far in-story yet to fulfill that potential.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Okay, since we are talking about Synch, does anyone here know a teenage kid who actually shaves his hair to bald perfection at all times? I never quite understood the look, even if it is iconic.

I like that he is a villain. Male POC need to be villains too.. Hell I want Mose Magnum to come back. ANd I dont mind him looking like a damn ghoul.. it kind of makes him the antithesis of M.
    Why would anyone think that Empath having a better source of food than feeding on unsuspecting Morlocks in a sewer would stop him from being a villain? He locked his sister up into a mute, spikey red prison of a body because his father loved Monet more than him. If he was gonna reform, he would need therapy, not an environmentally-safe and morally upright way to feed his hunger. But I do agree on the ghoul part but I think he would still look like that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    He's from St. Louis, of which Ferguson is also a suburb(rest in peace Michael Brown). Synch could be a powerful statement in the current era, but Marvel sleeping at the wheel....

And while Synch's death was a needless tragedy, it was explicitly explained in the issue that he was too far away from Monet and was completely powerless when the bomb went off. Of course, yes, in his full potential he should have been an omega level power manipulator beyond what Hope does, in that his aura should have retained all the abilities he synched with, but he just wasn't pushed that far in-story yet to fulfill that potential.
    But he had her super strength or so I thought.. I still thik it was a cope out as he was early on able to retain Sabertooths added mass long after being around him.. Yeah the Mike Brown analogy would have been something to really do.. Instead we got Mosaic, a limited series about a Black Basketball player turned inhuman.. This is why they need diverse writers ..

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Y'all are glossing over what is probably the most obvious answer, likely because he's been dead in mainstream comics longer than he's ever been alive: Thunderbird. As in, John Proudstar. I've seen a lot of people clamoring for James, but with all of these dead mutants coming back, of everyone that's been mentioned - John is the most mainstream option. He's fresh off of a run on a semi-popular TV series and he still has a star from being a member of the All New, All Different X-Men - and since he's been dead more than alive, which means that he is completely FILLED with untapped potential.

Otherwise, Rictor, Sunspot, Bishop, Synch, Warpath, Neal Shaara, etc are all very, very good options. Even Sunfire would be good, though he has some work that needs to be done.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Mighty Member

Okay, since we are talking about Synch, does anyone here know a teenage kid who actually shaves his hair to bald perfection at all times? I never quite understood the look, even if it is iconic.
    its part of the Black guy hair styles in comics : Bald head, Locs, temple fade

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1490786900

https://statici.behindthevoiceactors...-x-men-7.8.jpg

https://www.writeups.org/wp-content/...en-Lucas-f.jpg

Yeah Shola's bald head always made me side eye them.. like he cant have something else

But he had her super strength or so I thought.. I still thik it was a cope out as he was early on able to retain Sabertooths added mass long after being around him.. Yeah the Mike Brown analogy would have been something to really do.. Instead we got Mosaic, a limited series about a Black Basketball player turned inhuman.. This is why they need diverse writers ..
    Synch's retention of Sabretooth's powers/mass after Phalanx Covenant was a one-time feat that he never did later, so no, that was not a default ability for him all the time.

Yeah, [modern]Marvel's pretty obtuse in these matters. But it really doesn't defy logic given who holds the purse strings....

Mighty Member

Synch's retention of Sabretooth's powers/mass after Phalanx Covenant was a one-time feat that he never did later, so no, that was not a default ability for him all the time.

Yeah, [modern]Marvel's pretty obtuse in these matters. But it really doesn't defy logic given who holds the purse strings....
    Synch had a lot of either one time or rarely seen abilities usage wise that were left unexplained. Again I get that the creative team tweaked his ability from his debut to Gen x but even in that comic it varied like he synch and copy Skin's powers but when he did that to Penance, he had force field, We also saw that it was levels to him getting in synch as when he did it to the M twins and used that deepness to make himself immune to Emplates abilities. All I am saying is dying by a bullet was a no go and made little sense and was plot induced way to for a dramatic ending.. Of course a white male writer had no problem killing him.. Hell even when he showed up in House of M he retained abilities

I'd love to see Synch in the new X-men world.
    Also Threnody, I did like her powers.

Bishop is a favorite of mine, i'm glad he is being rehabilitated and will be regular on a book in the future. I think he deserves more, but the last two years have been a good start. he should be the Idris Elba of X-books.

I would like to see more of Sunfire, he has been in too few books and asian males are really lacking on x-men

Sunspot was very interesting on avengers book, hope x-men recover that

Ultimate Member

I think it speaks VOLUMES that so many people have bought up Synch & Prodigy.

And it's a testament to writers for what they did with those two for them to have such an impact. This is why you don't CRAP on characters in books because you never know what impact they may have on people.

21 years Synch has been gone. Yet he's the first if not in the top 10 of X-folks who fans want back.