Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Back to boys of color. Are there ANY male mutants from the Levant or Gulf states?
    Jetstream, perhaps? I think he's dead, though, and the one original Hellion nobody is particularly wanting back...

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    That maybe true but magic has been a part of his powerset from day one.
    Doesn't mean it has to be. There are a lot of troubling things about the way Forge has been written since the beginning and the magic nonsense is one of them.

It’s not a part of Thunderbird’s powerset.
    But it is a part of a lot of Native American power sets.

BANNED

I’ve said it multiple times: as long as a faithful rendition is given afterward*, I will accept any excuse to bring back Synch.

*Of course let him evolve, character-wise, afterward, but his “fresh start” should be a strong reminder to us of what a great character he was, and the evolution a natural-feeling reaction to how the world around him has changed. Maybe he even mostly stays true to himself, who knows...I don’t write fiction.

If he just gets brought back and is horribly characterized or limbo’d off, don’t even bother.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 08-08-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But it is a part of a lot of Native American power sets.
    Yeah, the 'formula' for native American characters appears to be mystical totem-theme and a name based on [color] + [animal] like Red Wolf or Black Crow or Chartreuse Marmoset (I may have made one of those up...), so it's always a thrill to see someone like Forge or Dani, whose mutant power and codename have nothing to do with their ethnicity (although both get dragged occasionally in stereotypical directions, with Forge's flirtation's with native American shamanism, or Dani's use of a 'psychic bow and arrows').

Now I’m feeling guilty I was going to suggest warping Forge with Shaman, and Dani with Talisman.

Didn't Thunderbird teach Warpath the magic ritualistic dance they used to defeat Selene?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I’ve said it multiple times: as long as a faithful rendition is given afterward*, I will accept any excuse to bring back Synch.
    Well-since we got Miles Morales running around from another universe...

The question has to be asked WHAT ELSE & WHO Else came with him.

Whose to say the Ultimate version of Synch is NOT walking around somewhere.

I have always wonder who Judge really is. I thought he was Falcon's dead Nephew (but Falcon's book dispelled that). Whose to say he's not Everett whose powers has not kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So even Hickman has admitted the X-men lack representation of POC.
    I feel that's an even bigger problem when it comes to male characters.
    Bishop was for a long time one of the most prominent and he was character assassinated and limboed for years.
    Now he's finally back for good and we're also seeing the return of some unexpected characters like Mondo, but there's still room for improvement.

Which characters do you miss the most and think need some more exposure?
    just out of general curiosity, any interviews where Mr. hickman directly speaks on this?

In retrospect-- and of course, in retrospect reveals many things not intended as negative.. it's interesting that as much as the X-Men from the 80s forward came to be known as this veiled (racial) minority allegory, the team(s) up until a certain point had only marginal people of color active at any given time. The O5 of course, had nobody. Then with the Giant-Size Team, Sunfire's nationalism prompted him to leave after what, one, two issues? Thunderbird got to be a grand sacrifice after the same number of issues. Two POC gone, just like that. Oh well.
    -- No adult black men in their prime until Bishop comes along in 1991. (Gateway's magic aboriginal was, of course, kind of a doorman; Sunspot was a younger black-brazilian teen.. No American black teens, alas)..
    I'm not hip to the depths of folks created from 2000 forward. Hopefully it's more than 2, 3 characters, who can do some cool things and do well in fights?
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 08-08-2019 at 07:27 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

As far as prominent, male people of color in the 2000s? There are frankly very few that have ever gotten spotlight, I can list them on one hand: Prodigy, Gentle, Indra, Genesis. All of the other prominent PoC students were girls.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    As far as prominent, male people of color in the 2000s? There are frankly very few that have ever gotten spotlight, I can list them on one hand: Prodigy, Gentle, Indra, Genesis. All of the other prominent PoC students were girls.
    Triage, Goldballs, Velocidad, Kenji Uedo and Hindsight?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Triage, Goldballs, Velocidad, Kenji Uedo and Hindsight?
    Have any of them really had any kind of real focus? Maybe Kenji, but the others, no.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Have any of them really had any kind of real focus? Maybe Kenji, but the others, no.
    Goldballs was obviously Bendis' favorite so he got focus.

Hindsight about as much as Indra I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Jetstream, perhaps? I think he's dead, though, and the one original Hellion nobody is particularly wanting back...
    Jetstream is from Morocco, not the Gulf states or Levant.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

*Of course let him evolve, character-wise, afterward, but his “fresh start” should be a strong reminder to us of what a great character he was, and the evolution a natural-feeling reaction to how the world around him has changed. Maybe he even mostly stays true to himself, who knows...I don’t write fiction.

If he just gets brought back and is horribly characterized or limbo’d off, don’t even bother.
    Krakoa pod by Xavier or Shi'ar Golem if Moira needed someone with his powers with whatever it is she's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Goldballs was obviously Bendis' favorite so he got focus.

Hindsight about as much as Indra I'd say
    I feel like beyond being a meme of a character that Goldballs never really amounted to much, to be completely frank.

As for Hindsight... eh. Everything about his character in Generation X was just a romance arc, where his Jewish/White love interest got the lion's share of the focus.