Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nick buys Garfield from Jim Davis!

Jim davis has sold Garfield to nick! Nick now owns Garfield and us acres!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/gar...om-1203293468/

So can we make this canon?

[IMG][/IMG]

wow. well, best of success.

I hope he still gets legal royalties, though.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 08-06-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Hm. I assume Davis has a clause in there giving him lifelong creative control over the comic strip itself.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Hm. I assume Davis has a clause in there giving him lifelong creative control over the comic strip itself.
    Considering the purpose of Garfield was to make him lots of money, he might just want lifetime royalties.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

Is he selling them the formula for generating the same graphics and the same jokes on an endless stream?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'm thinking that at Davis age 74 he doesn't want to manage the day to day operation of Paws Inc. anymore. He's at an age where he can as he wants , do his cartoons and just not worry about what business with Paws to do next. Guy is already a multi-millionaire , he just gets richer and gets to do cartoons.

This deal pretty much makes it clear Garfield will continue after Davis passes away as well. The character will never go away now.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

what's this guy Nick want with garfield? Jon is probably going to want him back

Who is Nick?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Who is Nick?
    Nickelodeon ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm surprisingly okay with this. Hope we get a new cartoon soon then.

Like Lucas selling Lucasfilm. Though I doubt Davis got $4 billion.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Listen, I grew up with the Garfield cartoon show and I owned a ton of the comic strip collections and despite the enormous amount of hate Jim Davis gets from comic strip purists I respect him as a businessman and appreciate his attempts to not oversaturate the market so that the character's popularity doesn't burn itself out and his propensity for keeping his employees in work for in some cases multiple decades.

So, I want you to know before I say this that I'm coming from a place of mad respect. Now, here's my question: why?

Nickelodeon, do you really see this kind of value in the Garfield brand? Is this an international thing, where the character's global appeal is something I just don't see? Why?

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Listen, I grew up with the Garfield cartoon show and I owned a ton of the comic strip collections and despite the enormous amount of hate Jim Davis gets from comic strip purists I respect him as a businessman and appreciate his attempts to not oversaturate the market so that the character's popularity doesn't burn itself out and his propensity for keeping his employees in work for in some cases multiple decades.

So, I want you to know before I say this that I'm coming from a place of mad respect. Now, here's my question: why?

Nickelodeon, do you really see this kind of value in the Garfield brand? Is this an international thing, where the character's global appeal is something I just don't see? Why?

Why?
    Reruns and merchandise.

Remember, Disney are selling Darth Vader oranges. You dont need to go THAT far but its not hard to merchandise Garfield

Garfield is read world wide, has had two cartoons, almost had a big-screen animated film (but fox thought it was to scary and killed it! Really! The book based on it Garfield's judgment day still came out however!), two live action films, tons of prime time specials and dtv films and tons and tons of toys, dolls, arcade stuff, video games and other things. It's the same when nick got tmnt. Looks like nick is aiming for these kids IP's they can use. Snoopy would have been another great choice but they got beat to the punch. Plus Garfield could end up in universal studios now with nicks ties to the park.

Check out this collection for all the Garfield stuff they did!