Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default DC Supernatural, Magic, Fantasy And Mysticism Appreciation 2019

With the old thread closed down, I decided to start a new one dedicated to the magical and mystical side of DC. As before, images, discussion, news, appreciation and criticism of DC's mystical corner is welcome.

Anyone have any hopes for DC's mystical corner in 2019?

Mighty Member

I would like to see a mystical equivalent of Anatomy of a Metahuman. A book that explains how certain magical forces work, what rules they have, etc.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I would like to see a mystical equivalent of Anatomy of a Metahuman. A book that explains how certain magical forces work, what rules they have, etc.
    I second that, there is too much left to the imagination of the reader.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I love DC's magic side! When New 52 came out there was Justice League Dark, Demon Knights, and later Amethyst. I only managed to get Justice League Dark, but I saw House of Mystery think it's so cool! What a cool home base! Mikel Janin on the artwork helps. Demon Knights is like D&D with DC characters and it's still on my list to get.

APR120219_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

So with James Wan producing a Swamp Thing series what other DC fantasy/magical properties do you think would make for good t.v., live action or animated?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Amethyst seems ready-made for an animated series.

JUL120121_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So with James Wan producing a Swamp Thing series what other DC fantasy/magical properties do you think would make for good t.v., live action or animated?
    I think the Castlevania series reignited people's interest in vampire. I would love to see I, Vampire as an animated series. I feel like that was one of the most solid New 52 books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    In the Garth appreciation thread you would write him a story with 100% High fantasy. Would you care to go a little bit more into that?

Happy New Year to all the magic heroes of the DCU .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    In the Garth appreciation thread you would write him a story with 100% High fantasy. Would you care to go a little bit more into that?
    I mean I don’t have a plot in mind, unfortunately. But I’ve been reading a lot old Conan stuff and a lot of stories from Lovecraftian. I would blend those worlds and elements together, putting Garth right in the middle of it.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

I really loved Shadowpact. Would love to see something done with them again.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

To answer my own question:

Live Action:

Zatanna - Serinda Swan could reprise the role. If not, Eiza Gonzalez or Elisabeth Gillies would be fitting.

Vixen - I think this could work on DC streaming and if they're worried about budget, they can remove the animal spirit formations. Megalyn Echikunwoke can reprise the role or Anna Diop can take over when Titans is done.

Night Force - Maybe a dark fantasy anthology series with Baron Winters as the only reoccuring character or a new series in line with Supernatural and Buffy.

Anita Fite - I know Anita has never gotten a solo but I think there's enough material in her backstory for a t.v. series. And Voodoo mythology and religion doesn't get much use aside from being an evil force in horror movies so this provides something new.

Animated:

Shadowpact - At first I considered making it live action but the characters involved probably mean it would be better off animated. Greg Weisman seems like a good fit and I'd like to see Blue Devil voiced either by Crispin Freeman or Freddie Prinze, Jr.

Book of Fate - Starring Khalid Nassour as he trains to be a Lord or Order.

Hellenders - Based on the demon hunting team that appeared in Artemis' mini series. With Castlevania haven gotten good reviews and a Devil May Cry animated series in the works, I think there is a market for this.

Wonder Woman - Long overdue. Also involve Weissman.

Aquaman - Same as above.

Isis - As a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh, I'd like to see another series tackling Egyptian mythology. Reimagining Isis as a goddess reincarnated in human form would be nice.

Enchantress - Another one with some similarities to Yu-Gi-Oh that I'd like with June and the Enchantress entity bonding together to fight evil.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-06-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Technically The Question was called a "City Shaman" in the 2005 miniseries and I hope someone continues that thread.\

Zatanna, Vixen, and Empress would make good solo shows. Or you could have Vixen mentor Empress and save yourself a show.

Mighty Member

Live Action:

Mystik U. It can follow in the footsteps of shows like The Magicians and Netflix's Sabrina.
    Katana
    Bloodwynd

Animated

Ragman
    The Creeper. Would he count? He's gotten his powers through scientific means after all.
    Traci 13

Ultimate Member

Vixen - I think this could work on DC streaming and if they're worried about budget, they can remove the animal spirit formations. Megalyn Echikunwoke can reprise the role or Anna Diop can take over when Titans is done.
    We've been spoiled by a great visual on the TV, but if they really needed to save some money, animal vocalizations in the background when she channels the strength of a gorilla, or flight of an eagle, would be acceptable to me. (Some power uses would be more problematic, obviously. They'd probably be inclined to have her adopt the swimming ability of a dolphin over that of a shark, for instance, since dolphins make easily recognizable sounds, and sharks, not so much...)

Anywho, for mystical characters, I want to see more of Dr. Mist, in a Dr. Fate-like or Phantom Stranger-like role, less a front-liner and more someone who alerts the others of the impending mystical threat and / or assembles them and / or crafts a mcguffin to empower some other person (as he's been said to do, in the past).

More of Jason Blood, as an occultist. The other side of Etrigan doesn't get much play, and is an interesting character in his own right.

A return of Black Orchid. She's pretty buff, as occult heroines go, but seems to get sidelined for spellcasters like Zatanna or the Enchantress or Madame Xanadu, or higher-profile 'magic tanks' like Wonder Woman.