View Poll Results: Is Rachel, Scott and Jean's daughter?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 84.27%
  • No

14 15.73%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Well, it is clear Scott cares about her, but seems to care more for Cable though. Jean does not really seem to care much about Rachel does she?
    Jean barely has the chance of interact with Rachel, but she does care

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jean barely has the chance of interact with Rachel, but she does care
    Agreed. I do believe that Jean does care about and for Rachel. I blame the inconsistency of the writers for this yo-yo (she cares in Red, is meh in Gold, and cold and apathetic in Extermination) as well as previous editors for ensuring they never had more than a page together before one was killed or sent into the time stream.

Fantastic Member

Everyone keeps forgetting Jean reclaimed the name Phoenix to honor Rachel. Jean loves her.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    Everyone keeps forgetting Jean reclaimed the name Phoenix to honor Rachel. Jean loves her.
    I think most people (fans, writers, editors, Jean) forget that. That scene where they share a moment as Rachel is dying was my second favorite Jean-Rachel moment ever.

Is has always feel she is just Scott kid. Jean has alway acted cold with her. Jean need Susan to tell her to be nice to Rachel. Jean told Rachel she is not her mom and see her as just another x men. Close as the others and would be hurt if she gets hurt but never as a daughter.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I think most people (fans, writers, editors, Jean) forget that. That scene where they share a moment as Rachel is dying was my second favorite Jean-Rachel moment ever.
    Yes. Jean was about to tell Rachel she loves her but Rachel cut her off "I know Mom i love you TOO."

BANNED

Excalibur #71

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    Is has always feel she is just Scott kid. Jean has alway acted cold with her. Jean need Susan to tell her to be nice to Rachel. Jean told Rachel she is not her mom and see her as just another x men. Close as the others and would be hurt if she gets hurt but never as a daughter.
    On Red, jean said that Rachel was her daughter. People should just ignore Guggs

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    On Red, jean said that Rachel was her daughter. People should just ignore Guggs
    Should we also ignore Brisson for Extermination 1 and 5? We don't get to pick and choose what is on panel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Should we also ignore Brisson for Extermination 1 and 5? We don't get to pick and choose what is on panel.
    No more than we can pick and choose which on panel contradictions we should get behind. Writers hate on each other's work too...

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    Not always

I think it's just inconsistent writing. Several writers have emphasized the Jean sees Rachel as her daughter. Even after Jean died in New York, Rachel found the holocron crystal with a message specifically for Rachel from Jean to take up her mother's mantle and become Marvel Girl. It was kind of a reversal of when Rachel asked Jean to take the name Phoenix again to honour the connection between them and to show the world that the Phoenix can be a force for good like Rachel always believed it was. So Rachel may have headed to New York knowing that Rachel was being rescued by Storm's team and she left Rachel a message to tell Rachel to do the same thing and take up her mother's original name to be Marvel Girl.

In the Excalibur issue where they met on muir island they kind of reconciled and Jean asked Rachel to come to her and Scott's wedding and be part of the wedding party and part of the family. Rachel is the one who convinced Cable to go to the wedding too in Cable #9 I believe, this was also where Cable talked to Rachel about being his sister. Then Rachel got lost in the time stream after bringing Captain Britain back. Then the X-Men: Phoenix miniseries where Rachel leads the Askani rebellion. Then Cyclops and Phoenix where Rachel (Mother Askani) brings Scott and Jean forward in time to take care of Nathan. When Rachel dies in the Askani timeline she asks her mother to take up the mantle of the Phoenix and they acknowledge that they love each other. Cable finds the other part of Rachel trapped at the end of time and defeats Gaunt to bring her back to the present as a teenager again. Rachel goes to University instead of rejoining the X-Men. Rachel finds out about the Sisterhood and helps Cable defeat them. Rachel supposedly goes back to school. Storm's extreme X-Men find out that Elias Bogan is using a telepath as his possessed agent. Sage figures out through process of elimination that it has to be Rachel so she brings in Kitty to help Rachel get free of Elias. Jean leaves the message for Rachel in the holocron with a version of her Marvel Girl costume that she never wore and asks Rachel to be the new Marvel Girl. There isn't much interaction in Phoenix Endsong, but Rachel does get pulled in the white hot room in House of M along with Elizabeth. This was partly Jamie Braddock isolating them partially from the Scarlet Witch's alterations, but while in the white hot room Rachel discovers that she is unique in all of the timelines and there is no specific alternate version of her.

So if you take all of the story written prior to Rachel's disappearance into the timeline, Jean and Rachel were reconciled and Jean was treating Rachel as a daughter. This continued into Cyclops and Phoenix where they acknowledged Rachel was their daughter. Then when she returned and Jean died, the writers still included the part where Jean left a message for Rachel telling Rachel that Jean loved her and asking Rachel to become Marvel Girl. X-Men Red continued this with Jean and Rachel having a definite mother and daughter vibe in their interactions. Only X-Men Gold did things differently and I still wonder if it was teen Jean in the hospital helping Rachel and not older Jean. Extermination was written by Brisson and he didn't seem interested in exploring the relationship with Jean and Rachel, but he did emphasize the relationship with Cable and Rachel (probably because he was planning to continue that in X-Force).

I'll wait and see what Hickman does, but he may just keep going on from Red and have Jean openly acknowledge Rachel as her daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    In the Excalibur issue where they met on muir island they kind of reconciled and Jean asked Rachel to come to her and Scott's wedding and be part of the wedding party and part of the family. Rachel is the one who convinced Cable to go to the wedding too in Cable #9 I believe, this was also where Cable talked to Rachel about being his sister. Then Rachel got lost in the time stream after bringing Captain Britain back. Then the X-Men: Phoenix miniseries where Rachel leads the Askani rebellion.
    Wow, thank you! I never knew about this issue and all these years thought here was no followup to Excalibur 71. I only read it bc it was collected in the Fatal Attractions TPB and Cable 9 obviously wasnt there

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Wow, thank you! I never knew about this issue and all these years thought here was no followup to Excalibur 71. I only read it bc it was collected in the Fatal Attractions TPB and Cable 9 obviously wasnt there
    hehe, Marvel Unlimited combined with Rachel Summers reading order https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/char...character=1168

I love that reading order site, it's a great way to backtrack a character to follow their development.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    hehe, Marvel Unlimited combined with Rachel Summers reading order https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/char...character=1168

I love that reading order site, it's a great way to backtrack a character to follow their development.
    Bookmarked. This is new to me too. Thanks!