Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

https://geekdad.com/2019/08/review-b...cupied-gotham/

Reading that review, they don't really contradict each other. Corrina just brought out some points that Ray didn't bring up. Ray speaks about what happened in the book and why it's compelling, while Corrina asks how these things happened in the first place, where's the logic and logistics of it, why some characters aren't there, and that's why she doesn't like it.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-12-2019 at 04:42 PM.

while Corrina asks how these things happened in the first place, where's the logic and logistics of it, why some characters aren't there, and that's why she doesn't like it.
    That's where I am. For me, it just doesn't make that much logical sense. So I can't enjoy it. Even some of the explanations given to make some of it make sense don't stand up to the sniff test to me. A certain amount of suspending disbelief is necessary for comics, of course, but that, for me is that a man can fly and such. The internal logic still has to make sense.

The idea that Selina is Bruce's only hope for happiness doesn't work for, either. Though that he could think that way sort of does - he has a history of that kind of stupidity. As Corrina said, Selina's logic on wedding cancel didn't make sense, either.

There is, of course, the possibility that everything make more sense in hindsight once the story is done. But that comes to the "writing for tpb" that's been referenced before. I can't follow along month after month after month of things seeming either very out of character or very nonsensical. For a short-term story arc, absolutely. But not for as many issues as this has lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Reading that review, they don't really contradict each other. Corrina just brought out some points that Ray didn't bring up. Ray speaks about what happened in the book and why it's compelling, while Corrina asks how these things happened in the first place, where's the logic and logistics of it, why some characters aren't there, and that's why she doesn't like it.
    I would say that, for me, what happens in a story can't be enjoyable if plot holes, inconsistencies and a lack of internal logic are so prevalent that I can't ignore them. And to me, King's run since at least issue 50 (which was the tipping point for me, since I supported his run whit a passion before it) has been plagued by such problems.

Astonishing Member

I'm so ready for King's Batman run to end, felt that way for some time.

Always Rakzo

I guess it was too much to ask for King to respect Captain Atom.

Cool art though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'm so ready for King's Batman run to end, felt that way for some time.
    I just want this to be over and forget it ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I guess it was too much to ask for King to respect Captain Atom.

Cool art though.

I suppose you needed Gotham Girl to take out a powerful character to show exactly what kind of a threat she can be. My problem is- A) weren't her powers killing her? and B) why is she on Bane's side? Didn't Bruce risk a lot just to get the Medusa Mask for the sole purpose of helping her?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I just want this to be over and forget it ever existed.
    Agreed.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I suppose you needed Gotham Girl to take out a powerful character to show exactly what kind of a threat she can be. My problem is- A) weren't her powers killing her? and B) why is she on Bane's side? Didn't Bruce risk a lot just to get the Medusa Mask for the sole purpose of helping her?
    Yes, her powers are killing her. But it took Hank (Gotham) the full Justice League plus fighting his sister to exhaust his powers and his body, so just one League member doesn't seem like it would seriously dent her yet.

At this point, it's clear that the Pirate's mask has not been destroyed, as Bruce intended - which makes me wonder if the mask he used was actually a decoy - which would still leave her under Pirate and Bane's control.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

So she fought someone (Gotham) who was strong enough to fight the entire Justice League plus Flash, Captain Atom, and all these villians, her powers should be pretty much exhausted by now just like her brother was. She's a Mary Sue. She's as strong and powerful as King needs her to be. He can't be gone soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The idea that Selina is Bruce's only hope for happiness doesn't work for, either. Though that he could think that way sort of does - he has a history of that kind of stupidity. As Corrina said, Selina's logic on wedding cancel didn't make sense, either.
    I will argue this because I know its been brought up alot about why Selina matters so much to Bruce in comparison to everyone else in his life. And I think its simply in the case of family love vs. significant other love.

Alfred, the Robins, all the other heroes, obviously mean so much to him, but they are his family. The ones you've been closest to for the longer period of time, with the mutual platonic love where they care for each other. Selina, on the other hand, isn't family. She's the outsider whom a deeper connection is developed despite being an outsider, a love that goes beyond traditional family love.

It's basically a situation of asking why you would be depressed that your S.O. left you when you still have your family. Obviously they mean alot to you, but your S.O. also meant alot to you in a very different way, and then add that you're also Batman, who has MANY issues already, its gonna hit him hard. Now whether you think Batman should deal with that to begin with is another question, but I do think why Selina matters to him that much compared to others does make sense.

Also side note about the issue, I really loved that little moment when she's talking to the unconscious Bruce about how she knows her stealing his wrong, even for the reason why she's doing it, and you see her with her tear down her eye saying that if he can just wake up, she'll never do it again. It's the type of characterization I always love seeing explored from her.

I've always had some difficulty buying into Bruce placing so much of his ideal of happiness on just Selina and their relationship at the expense of everything else, to the point he'd react so violently at her leaving him at the altar (and I mean, compared to the people he's seen die and the numerous other times women have left him it seemed kind of minor in the grand scheme of things), but that's kind of how King writes relationships.

The issue not have Jason, Duke, or Cassandra was my favorite part about it too!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've always had some difficulty buying into Bruce placing so much of his ideal of happiness on just Selina and their relationship at the expense of everything else, to the point he'd react so violently at her leaving him at the altar (and I mean, compared to the people he's seen die and the numerous other times women have left him it seemed kind of minor in the grand scheme of things), but that's kind of how King writes relationships.
    Well, Batman can be kind of an ass when it comes to rejection

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I will argue this because I know its been brought up alot about why Selina matters so much to Bruce in comparison to everyone else in his life. And I think its simply in the case of family love vs. significant other love.

Alfred, the Robins, all the other heroes, obviously mean so much to him, but they are his family. The ones you've been closest to for the longer period of time, with the mutual platonic love where they care for each other. Selina, on the other hand, isn't family. She's the outsider whom a deeper connection is developed despite being an outsider, a love that goes beyond traditional family love.

It's basically a situation of asking why you would be depressed that your S.O. left you when you still have your family. Obviously they mean alot to you, but your S.O. also meant alot to you in a very different way, and then add that you're also Batman, who has MANY issues already, its gonna hit him hard. Now whether you think Batman should deal with that to begin with is another question, but I do think why Selina matters to him that much compared to others does make sense.

Also side note about the issue, I really loved that little moment when she's talking to the unconscious Bruce about how she knows her stealing his wrong, even for the reason why she's doing it, and you see her with her tear down her eye saying that if he can just wake up, she'll never do it again. It's the type of characterization I always love seeing explored from her.
    Still, the idea that getting left at the altar is worse than your children dying is simply repellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    Still, the idea that getting left at the altar is worse than your children dying is simply repellent.
    That's the Batman you can kill my kids and hurt my father figure but mess with my lady.....

Crazy Steve is a paragon compared to this mess whose brains are located in his tights.