View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    If Moira faked her death, then who did Xavier make love to in the astral plane when she "died?" A Shi'ar Golem? Ew.
    Yeah, don't think about the retcon too hard. The original stories don't work within the context of it.

This is a soft reboot. Stuff still happened, just not the way it was presented originally. Adjust expectations accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Yeah, don't think about the retcon too hard. The original stories don't work within the context of it.

This is a soft reboot. Stuff still happened, just not the way it was presented originally. Adjust expectations accordingly.
    I think this is just more the way superhero comics work. I don’t even know if the label “reboot” is needed or applies. Subsequent writers have always picked and chosen what past elements they want to include in their work. This is increasingly true as time passes and the body of past work and the number of contributors to that work increases. It’s simply the reality of these shared universes and has been pretty much since the start.

I don’t think some past inconsequential story should matter all that much simply because it was written first. I suppose if the story of Xavier and Moira banging on the astral plane was someone’s favorite story, then sure it may suck for them....but I doubt most people care.

And it’s possible such inconsistencies may be addressed. And evn if they’re not, we could always No-Prize it.

True. I think if someone is going to analyze how this all fits into the past X-men stories they are going to lose their minds. It’s pretty much a lost cause because there are going to be moments where it just doesn’t add up. It’s damn near impossible. I do think this is one of those cases where the story is so unique and written so damn well that we should just sit back and enjoy the ride. This seems like an extremely hyped huge Marvel event that so far seems to be delivering on so many levels. That....is rare in and of itself.

Are we sure this is the real Moira and not the Moira from Age of X?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marseve View Post
    In this podcast episode, Jordan White says that most x titles in Dawn of X were pitched before Hickman came on....

https://chtbl.com/track/pinecast.com...&ext=asset.mp3
    I seriously doubt editorial would have given him complete control of the X-Men comic franchise especially given how much is at stake here. He is probably first among equals here.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Are we sure this is the real Moira and not the Moira from Age of X?
    yeah pretty sure its the real moira, also theres really no indication that its AoX moira
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The Moira from Age of X was just a manifestation of Legion's reality manipulation powers.
    "Cable was right!"

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Something had to be rebooted, because Moira definitely could not have ever been a mutant. Such a big deal was made about Legacy affecting her flatsca self. Mystique even admitted to having Legacy altered just to hurt her.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member

Surely we all just missed the hints, won't some writer from the 90s come out and tell us that they always wrote her as a closet mutant?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I thought there were some interesting character beats in this issue. They all revolve around this new aspect of her character, but they’re in there. The longing for her pleasant but boring first life and being sad about not being able to recreate it. The drive to learn as much as possible about her condition, her devotion to science....her desperation at failing again and again, and the increasingly desperate routes she has to take.
    For one issue which was admittedly about the reveal, I think there was enough emotion. I do hope for more....I want some examination of her previous decisions, and I want to see what she’s been telling Xavier to shape events.

I think that not focusing on any of her personal relationships except the reference to her first life and then the mutant leaders with whom she allied in her subsequent lives was deliberate. I think we’re supposed to realize how alone and isolated she must feel. I imagine that in each life she likely tried to connect with people in an attempt to not feel so alone. Showing that now might undermine the feeling they’re going for. But now that they’ve established her situation, they can show the personal stuff and examine that in a new light.
    You felt her longing, her desesperation… I felt her boredom, her anger. I didn't feel anything for her except when she was killed by Pyro, a pointless cruelty. I understand what you mean, but all of this is thought, not felt… at least not by me. The strength of comic is pictures which can win the hearts when used by a talented writer. This comic could have be called "Moira's biography", a genre I hardly favor.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    If Moira faked her death, then who did Xavier make love to in the astral plane when she "died?" A Shi'ar Golem? Ew.
    Is Xavier making love (was that actually a thing?) with a ghost of a woman who was married to a good friend really a better alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Jeez more head exploding stuff but in a good way lol.

Is this what a Hickman comic typically feels like? First comic I’ve ever read from him and my mind is exploding left and right with all these theories.....
    Yep! Mostly. But this is a very good one.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Surely we all just missed the hints, won't some writer from the 90s come out and tell us that they always wrote her as a closet mutant?
    Man, there's only like 2 hints I can think of right now. (Proteus and Legacy Virus infection)
    "Cable was right!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    True. I think if someone is going to analyze how this all fits into the past X-men stories they are going to lose their minds. It’s pretty much a lost cause because there are going to be moments where it just doesn’t add up. It’s damn near impossible. I do think this is one of those cases where the story is so unique and written so damn well that we should just sit back and enjoy the ride. This seems like an extremely hyped huge Marvel event that so far seems to be delivering on so many levels. That....is rare in and of itself.
    Exactatiously!
    That's what I'm doing...while purposely ignoring the plethora of (horrid and vomitous) fan speculation.
    I'm treating this as a reincarnation of the X-Lore...starting from scratch (mid-way, technically) but with all the knowledge of what came before and trying do something new and different going forward.
    The past is dead and gone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I don’t think some past inconsequential story should matter all that much simply because it was written first. I suppose if the story of Xavier and Moira banging on the astral plane was someone’s favorite story, then sure it may suck for them....but I doubt most people care.
    The story in question was Moira's death. So, for her character and Xavier's, it wasn't inconsequential.

Some degree of continuity is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, long-term investment in the characters and their stories is pointless. The problem with Marvel, unlike DC, is they mostly refuse to nail down clear-cut break points, leaving it to individual reader headcanon. My personal threshold is when the sliding timeline and/or retcons (such as this one with Moira) pile up to the point that the original stories no longer make sense within the context of those changes. Hence, why I see this as a soft reboot.