View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    If Moria has to die to start a new life. How is Life 10 Starting if Life 9 still going???
    We dont know that Life 9 is still ongoing. We only got a glimpse of whats been going on, but clearly not the full picture. For all we know, Moira may have found a way to be reincarnated without dying and both lives are occurring in parallel universes

Meta commentary: It's great to see so many X-Fans actually gathering and theorising. Whew, it's been a while.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Wow such a huge twist. This alongside is giving me certain "dune" vibes. Maybe Moira or Xavier will try to make things go wrong on purpose, in order to avoid all the other futures Moira lived.

Spectacular Member

So are Pod X-men like(not exactly same) Moria? Each time they die they start over in a Pod?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    If the theory that the data pages are in the Year 1000 library is true, I think the data pages don't have any info on that Moira after a certain point.

Also makes it convenient for plot points if she shows up with the Librarian in year 1000 as we see it and it turns out to be Life 9.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Hold up, why is no one talking about Pyro calling Destiny, mother? Is that supposed to be figurative or is she actually his mother?
    Maybe it is just figurative but it is still a curious deatil.

Very confused, but in a good way.

Mighty Member

Just finished reading the issue and this thread. Thoughts (in no particular order):

1) Whether Marvel will admit or not, and whether any of you can accept it or not, this is for all and intents and purposes a reboot. The scope and scale of this retcon alone make it so.

Note that the timeline for Life Ten has Moira's death AFTER the Genoshan genocide. In the original stories, Moira died due to mortal wounds sustained when Mystique blew up the Muir Isle facility (X-Men vol. 2 #108, publication date of January 2001). That was BEFORE the Genoshan genocide occurred in New X-Men vol. 1 #115, publication date of August 2001.

This is not the original 616. This is an altered 616. AND THAT'S OKAY! This is a new era, and a reboot--acknowledged or not--was necessary given how much of a hash X-Men continuity had become.

Watching fans and, worse, the major X-fan websites futilely twist into knots trying to reconcile these retcons such that all of X-Men history still makes sense as a single narrative is going to be painful and cringe-inducing.

2) Larraz draws Moira as looking like actress Emma Watson.

3) I get the feeling Hickman really doesn't like Xavier as a character.

4) I'm intrigued by some of the marginal characters introduced in Moira's previous lives. Who was Gwyneth Trask? What was her relationship with Bolivar? What role did she play? How about Moira's family from her first life? At some point, I'd like to see a writer delve into who these people were and what they were like.

5) By emphasizing the inevitability of AI and the Sentinels, Hickman has set up a nice thematic symmetry: biological evolution (mutants) vs. technological evolution (AI). Previously in the X-Men mythos, the Sentinels were just an extension of normal humans as violent prejudice given form and substance. Here, by making AI an inevitable inflection point in the development of civilization, Hickman's given them a deeper dimension. Just as he echoed themes of Frank Herbert's Dune with mutant evolution, bloodlines, Sinister's chimeras, etc., he's now echoing the Terminator franchise. The human/mutant split is now three-sided instead of two: human/mutant/machine.

I'm continuing to enjoy this. So far, so good.

Hickman has sorta just given the MCU a clever way to introduce mutants and still have them always having a place in the MCU going back years (if they decided to go that route)

Some of the best X-Men Ive read in years, Hickman is a true delight and I hope Marvel finds a way to keep him around for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Who was Gwyneth Trask?
    That's Goop.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    How does her life with Joseph, and rahne make more sense with this revelation that she knew everything? It makes those previous actions appear really dumb in hindsight.
    With Joseph she could have specifically chosen to marry him so that she could birth Proteus and have an Omega level mutant on Krakoa later.
    And Rahne? Well Hickman is cowriting the first arc of New Mutants so their relationship could come up.

I'm mostly curious to find out if Hope or Rogue could copy Moira's powers and what that would do

This really was fantastic and the scope of her ability and what's happening in this story is just amazing. I haven't felt this satisfied reading X-books since the eXtinction Team era.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about whether this is a retcon or not. None of the old Marvel history is even really applicable since Secret Wars happened. We just presume it has but there's little reason to believe every single event was put back into place when the FF remade the universe.

Astonishing Member

Just finished reading the issue and this thread. Thoughts (in no particular order):

1) Whether Marvel will admit or not, and whether any of you can accept it or not, this is for all and intents and purposes a reboot. The scope and scale of this retcon alone make it so.

Note that the timeline for Life Ten has Moira's death AFTER the Genoshan genocide. In the original stories, Moira died due to mortal wounds sustained when Mystique blew up the Muir Isle facility (X-Men vol. 2 #108, publication date of January 2001). That was BEFORE the Genoshan genocide occurred in New X-Men vol. 1 #115, publication date of August 2001.

This is not the original 616. This is an altered 616. AND THAT'S OKAY! This is a new era, and a reboot--acknowledged or not--was necessary given how much of a hash X-Men continuity had become.

Watching fans and, worse, the major X-fan websites futilely twist into knots trying to reconcile these retcons such that all of X-Men history still makes sense as a single narrative is going to be painful and cringe-inducing.

2) Larraz draws Moira as looking like actress Emma Watson.

3) I get the feeling Hickman really doesn't like Xavier as a character.

4) I'm intrigued by some of the marginal characters introduced in Moira's previous lives. Who was Gwyneth Trask? What was her relationship with Bolivar? What role did she play? How about Moira's family from her first life? At some point, I'd like to see a writer delve into who these people were and what they were like.

5) By emphasizing the inevitability of AI and the Sentinels, Hickman has set up a nice thematic symmetry: biological evolution (mutants) vs. technological evolution (AI). Previously in the X-Men mythos, the Sentinels were just an extension of normal humans as violent prejudice given form and substance. Here, by making AI an inevitable inflection point in the development of civilization, Hickman's given them a deeper dimension. Just as he echoed themes of Frank Herbert's Dune with mutant evolution, bloodlines, Sinister's chimeras, etc., he's now echoing the Terminator franchise. The human/mutant split is now three-sided instead of two: human/mutant/machine.

I'm continuing to enjoy this. So far, so good.
    I recognized that this is a theme that Hickman repeats in his other works in FF and Avengers the Ultron AI eventually assumes dominance over the planet and eventually evolves into machines waging war against each other across timelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    We dont know that Life 9 is still ongoing. We only got a glimpse of whats been going on, but clearly not the full picture. For all we know, Moira may have found a way to be reincarnated without dying and both lives are occurring in parallel universes
    I am pretty sure that's what happened. Apocalypse made her "eternal" but she still reincarnated somehow.

Extraordinary Member

Makes one wonder if Hickman is not going to turn the franchise on its head and reveal the two species fighting for superiority are not human and mutant, but human/mutant and machine.